The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

How man old school Wipeout fans playing this?

#1MorriskinDPosted 2/29/2012 1:03:10 PM
I bought my first Playstation at launch and played Wipeout like a crack head. I remember Silverstream being so frustrating. (the final race in the game) Then after beating it and unlocking the level called "Mars" or something like that. It played the music from Prodigy, "Firestarter". I loved that game so much. Wipeout XL was awesome as well. The game was not easy and intense. Wipeout 3 was ok. The remake for the N64 blew. Then the next gen system, PS2 version came out and was really pathetic. Then the PSP versions came out and brought faith back to the series. I have been playing Wipeout 2048 and I am pleasantly happy with it. So far its pretty easy but I know it will get frustratingly hard later on. When I look back this series has gone up and down but I still love it. I'm very glad I bought a Vita for this! Let me know about your old school moments that you treasured.
---
Playing Uncharted 3 and loving it!!!!!
#2Raven236Posted 2/29/2012 4:02:01 PM
2097 on the pc.

Yup seeing the old pit lanes you fly over to.recharge the shields.
---
PSN ID: Raven236 / N3DS FC: 1590-4697-4287
SSFIV Main: Sakura
#3Psyko_StuPosted 2/29/2012 5:58:06 PM
Wipeout PSX
---
"Laugh And Grow Fat!" Fatman: MGS2
PSN:PsykoStu, Vita:VasolineMan
#4phoenix8257Posted 2/29/2012 6:06:14 PM
Wip3out was my first, probably when I was around 12 or 13. The music and art style hooked me. Played XL after that and loved it as well. For the longest time after that (until the PSP games) I thought it was a Japanese-developed series, which is I think a testament to the art style.
#5Death_GamerPosted 3/1/2012 6:09:34 PM
Wipeout for PS1 was my first wipeout, still gaming them, bought the PSP one at launch and afterwards as well, PS3 too.
---
PSN:White-Sharingan, Live:White Sharingan
POKEMON DIAMOND FC: 4167 0964 7168
#6Sp8cemanSpiffPosted 3/1/2012 7:20:12 PM
I bought my first Playstation at launch and played Wipeout like a crack head. I remember Silverstream being so frustrating. (the final race in the game) Then after beating it and unlocking the level called "Mars" or something like that. It played the music from Prodigy, "Firestarter".

There was no Firestarter in the the first Wipeout. That track was in Wipeout 2097 (and 2097 only. The US version called Wipeout XL didn't feature that track either.)

Anyway, I started with Wipeout on the Playstation, but I skipped both Wip3out and Wipeout Fusion. (played Fusion at my friend's house and didn't like it at all).

2097 was the first one that managed to really grab me, though. The first game left me a bit cold. The first word that springs into my mind when thinking about the original Wipeout is most definitely frustration.
---
"If god didn't want us to eat in church, he would have made gluttony a sin." - Homer Simpson
#7FF_FiendPosted 3/6/2012 1:31:50 PM
I own and have beaten (and in most cases golded/elited) every race) every wipeout thus far - still working on 2048. Believe it or not, my first experience was with the crappy N64 port - and I thought, at the time, that it was awesome. Popping it in today, it's fairly unplayable.

But if I'm not mistaken it WAS the first Wipeout to incorporate analog stick controls. I'm often told that D-pad controls are more accurate for the series, including the new game. But I tend to squeeze the hell out of those d-pad buttons when I'm stressed in a race and after a while it creates a massive blister in my thumb.

Have to say, the new Wipeout HD/HD Fury is my favorite to date. That game just takes everything that's great about Wipeout and completely rewrites it. I especially love the whole "ship-brand loyalty" system. I like the idea of earning the right to fly a certain ship after being with the "team" long enough. Now you just place around 4th in one race and you have a crazy ship prototype. Easier? Much. I just like earning it more.
---
Playing: Prototype (PS3); DC Universe Online (PS3); Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii); Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#8eyephormPosted 3/6/2012 2:08:19 PM
Wipeout and Wipeout XL both had analog control... the NegCon!

The NegCon for me is/was the best handheld driving controller ever. I still have mine and pop it and XL into my PS2 when I can.
---
Mmmm... tastes like chicken.
#9yoshinator112Posted 3/6/2012 9:20:46 PM
WipEout 64 :D
---
lI|PSN|Il Muramusa723
Men are equal; it is not birth but virtue that makes the difference. - Voltaire
#10Ike_rulesPosted 3/7/2012 12:55:31 AM
I was 3 or 4 and started with 2097 or "XL"

Now I'm 18 and still a Wipeout junky
---
SSBB FC = 1805-2426-2827