Character design - anyone bothered?

#1Lun-SeiPosted 2/4/2013 1:30:50 AM
So, what are your thoughts on the over-the-top anatomy of the characters?
If there's one thing I don't like about this game, it's exactly that.

Characters like Jack or Nikolai are basically composed of five logs with a tiny human head on top - they aren't muscular, they're just deformed. It's made even the more jarring by the fact that characters like Leo or Durga, for some reason, have reasonable human anatomy.

Heck, I saw that cutscene with Leo and Max chatting next to each other, and Max wasn't just taller - he was twice the size of Leo, just like putting two action figures from different producers side to side.

I'd like to know if I'm the only one who's bothered by this design choice?
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#2WhiteBaitKentPosted 2/4/2013 2:00:51 AM(edited)
The game's over the top so I expect the characters, design and personality (somewhat), to be also. I like it. Would of sucked having cutesy anime characters or just plain, generic, everyday looking people. The size of the characters also makes each and every one of their attacks look that much more painful. I also noticed that almost everyone is over 6 foot which is crazy. What I do find weird is that Jack's like 6' 6" or something like that but he doesn't look like it due to his build.

This is a brawler after all, brawlers gotta have beef on their characters and AR just took it that one step further.
---
Can't spell ignorant without "IGN"!!!
#3Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 2:04:15 AM
So here's one person who thinks it's ok.

I'd like to know other people's opinions? I consider this some kind of a survey. :)
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#4I_phantomPosted 2/4/2013 5:04:52 AM
I've got absolutely no problem with it. If you watch any anime at all you're used to random giant people with no explanation at all. It actually can be explained in this game though since people can replace their whole body with cybernetic parts and it's fairly common practice. Also from a gameplay perspective I appreciate the diversity in the character designs.

We've got characters who can piledrive helicopters into a gang or mutants, I'm not going to let character proportions break my suspension of disbelief.
#5DarkMusashidenPosted 2/4/2013 5:20:51 AM
The designs are within context with the type of game this is. The only way people would have problems with the character designs are if they DON'T understand the context of the game (which is over the top crazy/ridiculous) and wanted this game to be something it wasn't suppose to/ trying to be.

I love the character designs in this game through and through.
---
Nothing to see here.
#6DracozombiePosted 2/4/2013 7:21:28 AM
Did I notice the odd anatomy? Sure. I find that people are quick to point out how disproportionate the female characters are, but in truth, all characters have massive frames and small heads.

Does it bother me? Nope.
---
http://thegaminggab.blogspot.com/
#7SmashBroDXPosted 2/4/2013 7:33:35 AM
I did find it a bit weird, especially when I went back to MadWorld. Jack was alot more modest when it came to his build.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMousinator
#8vhunter14Posted 2/4/2013 7:44:07 AM
not really when it lists for example max being 670 i think it was lbs, at least they are using realistic numbers here.
---
Official Nemesis Of the UMVC3 Board...S.T.A.R.S.
#9Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 8:18:28 AM(edited)
Mmmh, interesting. Am I genuinely the only one who's bothered by this? Really-really?

Then now I wonder if this is a female thing. As a woman, I notice disproportioned muscles as "unattractive" (and mind you, I like buff dudes), but apparently this isn't perceived by the male audience?
...Nah.

It's not the muscles, really. Muscles are very welcome. It's the lack of proportions that sticks out like a sore thumb.
#10DarkMusashidenPosted 2/4/2013 8:34:53 AM(edited)
Lun-Sei posted...
Mmmh, interesting. Am I genuinely the only one who's bothered by this? Really-really?

Then now I wonder if this is a female thing. As a woman, I notice disproportioned muscles as "unattractive" (and mind you, I like buff dudes), but apparently this isn't perceived by the male audience?
...Nah.

It's not the muscles, really. Muscles are very welcome. It's the lack of proportions that sticks out like a sore thumb.

You're just nitpicking IMHO.

I'm not looking at these characters for something to crush on, so it doesn't bother me. The designs themselves have a lot of personality and are appealing because of the personality in the designs. The proportions aren't realistic, but they aren't suppose to be. As long as they are believable for the context of the world (which they are) then there shouldn't be a problem. You have to recognize and acknowledge the context in which the designs are made for.

You can nitpick and talk about how they are disproportionate. But to do that you would have to look at the game out of context. So those complaints don't hold much merit...because they are out of context. It's no different from playing a fighting game and complaining that it doesn't play like a first person shooter, lol. Context is always important. Otherwise, intentions are easily misunderstood.
---
Nothing to see here.