Character design - anyone bothered?

#131Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 3:26:46 AM(edited)
I'm very sad to see my answer getting deleted for no reason by some moderator.

Well, I give up.
Ok. Let's keep putting sex-fantasy-babes and nothing else in videogames. They should really be the only female characters to ever appear, amIrite? Oh, and course, male characters are tooootally threated the same exact way.

Sigh. I'm sorry I still try to bring this argument sometimes. Sad truth is - I'm the only woman here. So I can't change much.

You keep enjoying your videogames; I'll return to the kitchen.

---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#132DarkMusashidenPosted 2/9/2013 4:21:38 AM(edited)
Lun-Sei posted...
I'm very sad to see my answer getting deleted for no reason by some moderator.

Well, I give up.
Ok. Let's keep putting sex-fantasy-babes and nothing else in videogames. They should really be the only female characters to ever appear, amIrite? Oh, and course, male characters are tooootally threated the same exact way.

Sigh. I'm sorry I still try to bring this argument sometimes. Sad truth is - I'm the only woman here. So I can't change much.

You keep enjoying your videogames; I'll return to the kitchen.

And let's also continue to ignore context and let obvious hyperbolic symbolism rub you the wrong way. You don't see me getting PO'd about Blacker Baron being the typical foulmouthed black archetype we've seen countless times on top of being the one and ONLY black dude in the game. Come on, stop playing victim please.

I could understand/sympathize with your plight....if you WEREN'T trying to put it in the context of this game where it doesn't fit because this game KNOWS it's hyperbolic.
---
Nothing to see here.
#133Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 5:14:37 AM
DarkMusashiden posted...

And let's also continue to ignore context and let obvious hyperbolic symbolism rub you the wrong way. You don't see me getting PO'd about Blacker Baron being the typical foulmouthed black archetype we've seen countless times on top of being the one and ONLY black dude in the game. Come on, stop playing victim please.

I could understand/sympathize with your plight....if you WEREN'T trying to put it in the context of this game where it doesn't fit because this game KNOWS it's hyperbolic.

As I said, context is no excuse. Because pray tell me why aren't all the male characters in the game hypersexualized?

Actually if the game had followed its context, the female characters would have been as over the top and crazy as the males. Instead, they aren't. See above: they all have the same normal and not-cyber-looking body shape and pretty bland weapons.

But, look, nevermind. I can see when I'm talking without being listened. I said I give up. There IS a reason you don't see many women gamers, after all.
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#134DarkMusashidenPosted 2/9/2013 5:41:51 AM(edited)
Lun-Sei posted...
As I said, context is no excuse. Because pray tell me why aren't all the male characters in the game hypersexualized?

Actually if the game had followed its context, the female characters would have been as over the top and crazy as the males. Instead, they aren't. See above: they all have the same normal and not-cyber-looking body shape and pretty bland weapons.

But, look, nevermind. I can see when I'm talking without being listened. I said I give up. There IS a reason you don't see many women gamers, after all.

You're the one who's kicking and screaming like a little child at this point. I don't have anything against you personally, but the way you're behaving is REALLY childish and I'm having a hard time respecting it. NONE of my female gamer friends are NEARLY as whining as you're coming off in this topic and that's the honest truth.

Anarchy Reigns is not a deep commentary on reality. It's not suppose to nor does it give off the sense of realism (like a lot of other games from the west like to advertise). I've made concrete points again and again and ALL you want to do is DEFLECT and IGNORE them as if they don't hold any merits EVEN THOUGH THEY DO. I've ALREADY acknowledged that there IS a problem with the portrayal of women in the media but this game is NOT a part of that problem because it's designs are NOT to be taken seriously.

AGAIN, Anarchy Reigns is NOT part of the problem because (unlike most western games) being close to/representing realism is NOT a goal with this game. This game is wacky, it's over the top, it's fun, it's mindless. This isn't anything like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted where the concept of mimicking reality is a big part of the design choices. Thus, to critique it on the same merits is being INTELLECTUALLY DISHONEST.

This is the problem with people like you. You can't even differentiate when things are actually sexist or not because you refuse to acknowledge context and paint everything with the same brush. With the way you're coming off in this thread, you look no different from the black people who blame the white people for EVERYTHING and see racism in everything, even when it's not there. Real talk. Why are you so hung up on playing victim? Seriously?
---
Nothing to see here.
#135GenocideHeartPosted 2/9/2013 7:47:12 AM
I should also point out that the males are just as stereotypical as the females - where the females are jhypersexualized, the males have such a severe case of machismo and testosterone poisoning they're pretty much walking (bad) stereotypes just as much as females are with their bewbs. Even the pretty boy Leo is the size of a pro-wrestler hopped up on steroids, and he's supposed to be the slender, svelte type. The others are even more brickier. And Zero is the token Asian AND the token ninja (and Baron even mocks him for it).

Just because the males aren't sexualized (and frankly, given how much of a bishie Leo is and how even Zero has a rather pretty face, I'd say they're pretty much there to be eyecandy, too), doesn't mean they aren't equally insulting. All the males come across as macho cavemen who are only good for punching things until they can't be punched anymore, and don't get me started on Nikolai who spews random Russian and has a super thick broski accent AND is the husky russkie-type character...

If anything, count yourself blessed that the only stereotype forced on women in this game is the sexualization. The male cast is made of circus freaks.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#136Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 8:16:05 AM
GenocideHeart posted...

If anything, count yourself blessed that the only stereotype forced on women in this game is the sexualization. The male cast is made of circus freaks.

Lol are you kidding? Boy I sure am glad that all the female characters are the same identical sexy stereotype, while male characters are different and original!

Seriously, guys. I disagree strongly with this, but I'm tired of arguing. I guess if you can't see what's wrong with the character design in this game, there is no use discussing it further.

I'm glad that at least not -everyone- in this topic was rudely telling me to shut up. I was pleased to read at least some people understood my point.

But eh, I was here to discuss character design, not to be called names and to start a flame war. Can't say that I wasn't expecting it to end this badly though, because this issue always gets a lot of people angry against any mention of it.

Let's close this topic and forget it ever existed, sorry.
---
#137I_phantomPosted 2/9/2013 8:30:12 AM
xhominid posted...
@xhominid, I was referring to the art you unlock in the story mode of the game for Sasha. The cloaked, spectre-like one especially looked really cool to me.

Oh, I didn't get Sasha's concept art yet I believe, so I'll have to look for it again

I_phantom posted...
@xhominid, I was referring to the art you unlock in the story mode of the game for Sasha. The cloaked, spectre-like one especially looked really cool to me.

These the ones you talking about?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/81edfbfcc1ce7212d2fd70dce284e619/tumblr_mgn0wsOKya1r5fic3o1_1280.jpg

Oooh, that is nice...though she looks like a rejected bride though to me...

Those are some of them, but there are about a dozen sketches when you unlock them. She's actually the only character where I like a lot of the early ideas better than what they ended up with.

@Lun, people argue with it because your arguments are irrational and quite frankly insane. You're projecting controversy where there is none and constantly push this agenda when there's absolutely no reason for it.
#138Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 9:14:52 AM
I_phantom posted...

@Lun, people argue with it because your arguments are irrational and quite frankly insane. You're projecting controversy where there is none and constantly push this agenda when there's absolutely no reason for it.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that the fact males have many different body types while all females look alike; the fact that males have crazy weapons and body modifications while all the females have normal weapons; the fact that Durga looks a lot more cyborg than Mathilda; the fact that there's so many unnecessary sexy poses that before a fight Sasha shows up and does a little stripper act as if it was Bayonetta.....

...yeah, I think all this makes a pretty good reason.

But I said it before: if you don't see it, why even discuss it? Let this thread die, and let a moderator close it.
---
#139DarkMusashidenPosted 2/9/2013 10:42:06 AM(edited)
I find it very telling how the female designs were the main things you had a problem with, despite the other clear obvious design choices that can be taken as "offensive" or "problematic" when, they too, are taken out of context.

Case in point; Blacker Baron, a character you even admitted to liking.

Anyway, I agree this topic needs to be closed. This blew up more than it needed to.
---
Nothing to see here.
#140Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:56:21 AM(edited)
DarkMusashiden posted...
I find it very telling how the female designs were the main things you had a problem with, despite the other clear obvious design choices that can be taken as "offensive" or "problematic" when, they too, are taken out of context.

Case in point; Blacker Baron, a character you even admitted to liking.

Anyway, I agree this topic needs to be closed. This blew up more than it needed to.

1) I'm not some ugly chick, please tell me why you found it "telling"? If it makes you feel better tho, just assume I'm totally envious of those gorgeous looks. Although what it "tells" is that I'm not lesbian. Aw who am I kidding... even if I were lesbian, I'd still complain just as I would complain if male characters were portayed in that way.

2) you'll notice the first thing I complained about in this topic was how the male designs were very badly proportioned.... that was my original topic. Yes, I think Baron has ridiculous proportions. Would you like to return to my original topic, which was NOT about females but about wether exaggerating the anatomical proportions was a good idea?

I'm just speechless. I said to let the issue drop, seeing as I was getting hate comments, and you guys just continue to try to take a stab. I already said I give up. No need to keep coming here to go all "neer neeer".

---