Character design - anyone bothered?

#151schpeltigerPosted 2/9/2013 7:56:25 PM
Wow, TCbrah. You know, for all the complaining and whining you put into 'dropping this', you're doing a good job smearing your hypocrisy for fifteen pages now.

Good God get a grip, girl.
#152T-DiggityPosted 2/9/2013 9:20:23 PM
Sorry to drag out this beaten and dead topic but I felt another woman's opinion may be appreciated.

OP, while I can understand your frustration with some of the design choices, I'm more than a little bothered by your commentary on the women just because of how they look. To say they're pointless as characters because they're so sexualized makes your view of them just as shallow as the guys you claim they were designed for.

Nevermind the fact that this game is extreme hyperbole and aware of the fact and every character can be seen as really shallow save for possibly Jack.

Fei Rin is the "only" female character who makes "stripper" poses (besides Bayonetta, and that has always been her thing because she has fun with it), and nice job s***-shaming her for that when she flaunts her sexuality as a weapon because they are guys who are simple enough to go gaga over something as simple as showing her butt. It's clear judging by what we do see of her personality that she knows she's eye-candy and makes people eat it, which is a character design and trait I see as more respectful than her being Strong Independent Woman who's dressed crappily just because (See: Nariko of Heavenly Sword; now that's a character design that makes little sense in the context of her game).

So what about Amala and Jeannie? Are they automatically good characters because they don't prominent bust sizes (granted, Amala could for all we know, we don't see her full body and she's very conventionally beautiful)?

All the other woman may look conventionally beautiful (by Western standards), but they're all just as unique in their personalities as the guys are in looks and personalities. As it's been said, Mathilda's beauty is false, Sasha can be seen as intimidating, and their attractiveness changes solely on perception.

I also disagree on your argument on sexuality and stereotypes being unrelated subjects because within the video game industry, sexualization of female characters IS a giant stereotype. So why not talk about how Baron, Sasha, Nikolai, Zero and possibly Rin Rin are all portrayed in ways that can easily be considered racist? I can't say it for the original Japanese dialogue as I haven't played the game with it in, but I appreciated the fact that the Baron comments on his status as a token black character (and yes, as a black woman, I can vouch that his character is very stereotypical) and Zero as the token ninja, as it made it clear that it was intentional without being malicious. Therefore, it's not offensive to me.

Frankly it's sad that for a game that's supposed to be so simple, Anarchy Reigns actually has some of the best and most vibrant characters than other games with way more to them, like the recently released DmC. That's kind of been the goal of P* if you're familiar with the creators' other works; they're all over the top and somewhat parodies of their genres, yet some of the best games to come out of those genres.

As for Jack's super deformity, the original subject, it's also been brought up that within the context of the game, many people are either mutants, have nanites running through their bodies, or are cyborgs. This is a rare case where super-deformity actually makes sense in the context of the world. You don't like it? That's cool; some people agree, some people don't. I don't know what else can be said on that.

tl;dr You're judging the women by their boobs and it's not cool, and the huge muscles are a conscious design choice that YMMV on.

Also, kudos for the guys saying they wouldn't mind at all if the male characters made ridiculous sexy poses. I'm personally shocked that Durga didn't come out sexualized considering he's like super hentai fodder what with being cat-like and all. ;)
#153GenocideHeartPosted 2/10/2013 5:41:13 AM(edited)
To be fair, Durga also lost his family jewels, so it makes sense he wouldn't be in the mood to act like a gigolo. :-p

Then again, maybe he'd act like that BECAUSE he lost them.

Come to think of it, that also explains why Mathilda is like this. She doesn't really HAVE a body anymore... so all she has left to flaunt around is an empty shell. It also explains why she rarely talks with anyone other than Baron - he's the only one who still treats her like a woman, even though she's pretty much an empty doll by now. The rest of the time, all she has left to do that's worthwhile is show off a fake beauty.

In hindsight, hers is a pretty miserable existence. At least she has Baron, and he does seem to genuinely care for her.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Big Bull... uh... is a bit too fascinated with Jack? I mean, he spews steam when he first faces him... something he only does when he's very excited. -_-;;

Granted, that's intentional like the rest of the game, but what makes it a bit morbid is the fact Big Bull isn't really... um... equipped for that kind of stuff. All his body besides the brain is machine, remember?

...I feel a little sorry for him. He's a good guy, all things said, but he kind of ends up being a buttmonkey.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#154Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 6:19:44 AM
GenocideHeart posted...
To be fair, Durga also lost his family jewels, so it makes sense he wouldn't be in the mood to act like a gigolo. :-p

Then again, maybe he'd act like that BECAUSE he lost them.

He certainly doesn't act like a gigolo, but I think he compensates with killing. Poor neutered cat. :P

Actually I wish Durga was more developed, especially the whole story about him and Garuda. Because they say Durga brought back Garuda's head.... did Garuda -really- die in battle or was it.... Durga who killed him (du-duduuun)?

Garuda also acts just like a normal robot, so one can even wonder if that really is what's left of Durga's old partner.... or if Durga is deluding himself. Yeah, Durga's story had a lot of potential if you ask me. Much more than just "lol let's attack this cop dude for no reason".

Come to think of it, that also explains why Mathilda is like this. She doesn't really HAVE a body anymore... so all she has left to flaunt around is an empty shell. It also explains why she rarely talks with anyone other than Baron - he's the only one who still treats her like a woman, even though she's pretty much an empty doll by now. The rest of the time, all she has left to do that's worthwhile is show off a fake beauty.

In hindsight, hers is a pretty miserable existence. At least she has Baron, and he does seem to genuinely care for her.

If you put it this way it sounds pretty awesome.

But did Mathilda lose her body in battle? I don't think so. She's more like the most extreme level of those women who "remake" their body with surgery. We know a lot of her body is cyborg, but we don't even know how much of that metallic body of hers is her body or is just a suit she wears (the same feel you get with most characters after all, like Leo and Max).

All in all, if she willingly cyber-ified herself, I don't think she'd be that crazy to, ahem, remove her genitals. But we really don't know. :P

Also, am I the only one who thinks Big Bull... uh... is a bit too fascinated with Jack? I mean, he spews steam when he first faces him... something he only does when he's very excited. -_-;;

I really didn't get that impression but I'm all for yaoi fanservice. XP But nah, Bully doesn't have a body apparently.

Seriously though, I liked the comments Jack made about Leo being so pretty. I get the feel if they weren't Japanese developers making this game, we wouldn't have got that scene.

...I feel a little sorry for him. He's a good guy, all things said, but he kind of ends up being a buttmonkey.

I was sure he was a bad guy when I unlocked him, then he turns out being kinda a good guy. 'Twas interesting.
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#155GenocideHeartPosted 2/10/2013 10:53:45 AM
Lun-Sei posted...
If you put it this way it sounds pretty awesome.

But did Mathilda lose her body in battle? I don't think so. She's more like the most extreme level of those women who "remake" their body with surgery. We know a lot of her body is cyborg, but we don't even know how much of that metallic body of hers is her body or is just a suit she wears (the same feel you get with most characters after all, like Leo and Max).

All in all, if she willingly cyber-ified herself, I don't think she'd be that crazy to, ahem, remove her genitals. But we really don't know. :P

She may not have had a choice. There's plagues, pollution, mutagen agents and all sorts of nasty crap all over the world, and it may well be that it was cyberize the majority of her body or become some sort of hideous trollmutant monster like those poor Killer Croc wannabes. Generally speaking, people don't willingly chop off body parts at a whim unless they're criminally insane or the alternative is worse. I believe even one of the characters remarks on that in the story mode.
---
#156ILIKECEREAL5Posted 2/10/2013 12:16:37 PM
I thought Mathilda was all cyborg or android or whatever. That was just who she was. Like she was always like that, not changed from human to cyborg or android. But idk.

But I doubt she did it to herself, if she did, just for looks. Maybe she looks like how she was before when she was human. She could have just done it as defense and looks relatively the same as when human. I mean we all cant be privileged to have that high tech suit or whatever Sasha has. Its cheaper to replace then it is to enhance sometimes.
#157ILIKECEREAL5Posted 2/10/2013 12:22:30 PM
Cheaper cuz look at where they're from; her and Baron.
Sasha has a suit thats probably new and all from the government probably costs a preety penny.
#158GenocideHeartPosted 2/10/2013 1:29:20 PM(edited)
ILIKECEREAL5 posted...
I thought Mathilda was all cyborg or android or whatever. That was just who she was. Like she was always like that, not changed from human to cyborg or android. But idk.

Dude, a cyborg, by definition, is a human with mechanical parts grafted on. You can't 'always' be a cyborg.

And an android would be an AI... and seeing how AIs in this game just plain aren't advanced enough to act the way Mathilda does (supposedly the Gargoyle is the most advanced AI around, and it's a simple killbot), I find that unlikely too.

Generally speaking the world of Anarchy Reigns doesn't encourage narcissism. It's a dog eat dog world, where if you waste time on appearance over effectiveness, you die. Simple as that. If Mathilda really wanted an attractive body, why would she have not made sure it DOESN'T clang like an empty oil drum whenever it hits something? That's hardly sexy. She could've gone with nanites, like Sasha, if she just wanted sexy, not have gone with near-full cyberization.

EDIT: Also, nanites are also what the Rin sisters use, and the Rin sisters don't exactly drown in money (Ai Rin even complains about it)... so I doubt they're that expensive.

And Baron is a pimp in addition to a bounty hunter. He has enough money to get GOLD TEETH WITH DIAMOND ETCHINGS. Those things cost more by themselves than everything else Baron and Mathilda have on combined...
---
#159ILIKECEREAL5Posted 2/10/2013 1:40:54 PM
Yeah what I said wasnt very clear with what I meant haha. I should haves thought that through lol. I thought she was some sorta robot not part human before thats what I meant. I didnt read the bios...I realy need to haha. So it didnt come out the way I wanted it haha XD. Yeah...lol I didnt think she was an android at all.

And I thought Android was a person who was part robot. Like Android 18 and 17 from DBZ. Cyborg I have no idea what it means.
#160GenocideHeartPosted 2/10/2013 2:49:00 PM
ILIKECEREAL5 posted...
Yeah what I said wasnt very clear with what I meant haha. I should haves thought that through lol. I thought she was some sorta robot not part human before thats what I meant. I didnt read the bios...I realy need to haha. So it didnt come out the way I wanted it haha XD. Yeah...lol I didnt think she was an android at all.

And I thought Android was a person who was part robot. Like Android 18 and 17 from DBZ. Cyborg I have no idea what it means.

17 and 18 used to be human... Only 16 was an actual android, fully mechanical. That's why he couldn't be revived - there was no spirit to bring back.
---