Character design - anyone bothered?

#81GenocideHeartPosted 2/7/2013 1:02:52 PM
To be fair, the characters live in a world where people have to be cyberized or full of nanites just to not die. Has it occurred to no one that they look deformed because they ARE deformed due to the polluted hellhole world they were born and grew up in?
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#82Cosmic_CoyotePosted 2/7/2013 3:24:49 PM(edited)
GenocideHeart posted...
To be fair, the characters live in a world where people have to be cyberized or full of nanites just to not die. Has it occurred to no one that they look deformed because they ARE deformed due to the polluted hellhole world they were born and grew up in?

No because 90% of the people here mash the X button at the start of the game to skip the "boring" text at the begining and had never read it and also never cared to look at character biographies

"XXXXXXXXX" com´on XXXXXXXXX I need to Jugleeeezzzzz nao XXXXXXXXXXX quickly skip XXXXXXX"
---
"There is no knowledge that is not power"
#83DarkMusashidenPosted 2/7/2013 7:23:24 PM
Lun-Sei posted...
Oh if this is your concern, don't worry, this is not a problem for me as I'm gawking over Baron pretty well. And Leo really is not my type. :P

Seriously though, can't you think about a character design that is NOT about gawking over it? Do you think if one has a problem with the design it's because they're not f**kable enough? This is my whole point when it comes to my rant about the female designs. I do NOT care if the character is f**kable or not.... I do care if it's an interesting character however.

And more importantly, I was never saying "this anatomy is wrong!!!".... I was merely saying "hey guys, I think they went a bit too far with the intentional disregard for anatomy, anyone else agrees or do you like it as it is?".

Now the issue with the females all being like Bayonetta, is a different matter. It just lacks of variety, in my humble opinion.

The gawking comment was just a tease, not a legitimate argument. Dur.

The designs for the female characters in the game are interesting. Your only issue is that they are all based on the same body type of slim and slick dime (even though there is CLEARLY more to their designs than JUST their based human figure). They aren't Bayonetta like however so you need to give that notion up, lol. Bayonetta's design was based off the proportions used in the fashion design business (elongated figures). The woman of Anarchy Reigns weren't designed under those same stipulations and it shows considering when compared to Bayonetta, they look closer to normal proportionally.
---
Nothing to see here.
#84Number4RocketPosted 2/7/2013 8:26:37 PM
DarkMusashiden posted...
Your only issue is that they are all based on the same body type of slim and slick dime (even though there is CLEARLY more to their designs than JUST their based human figure).

Yeah, they each have some form of weapon they wield (or in the case of Sasha, a small one that floats around her). That's about it.
(The main difference from Bayo is the length/slimness of the limbs, but it's minor compared to say, the difference between two male characters which have their own size classes. Isn't every female in this light class?)

Meanwhile the guys have mechanical limbs with guns, full-body cyborg suits, body armor that was stripped from Gundams, and even the lone guy that shows lotsa skin has tubes of green goo attached to him.

The variety present in the guys (which does annoy the TC though) is really lacking from the girls. Hell, I wish there actually was a teen girl piloting Big Bull like in that one picture. Or that the girls at least had ONE part of their body modified to look like something non-human, if not most of their body.
#85Number4RocketPosted 2/7/2013 8:36:55 PM(edited)
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/12/121701/1699572-sasha_concept_art.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QgGi0tdGcFs/UOsTND_LhVI/AAAAAAAADxk/c4WWFFz_6N0/s1600/bayonetta_full_view__lrg.jpg

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/116863/2226994-feirin_conceptart.jpg

http://sticktwiddlers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/mathilda-concept-art.jpg

I mean; come on. Yes, they are all interesting in their own right, but compared to the variety and robustness of the male cast, they are incredibly similar.
The biggest difference is their clothes and hairstyle. While I think some (like Jack) have a super weirdly shaped body, the variation is really nice (and in the case of Nikolai as one example, his Popeye-arms are robotic so it's fine, and looks great). The entire female cast is all relegated to the sexy shape though, despite robotics capable of making all the wonderful freaks of the male cast.
#86ObLiViOn418Posted 2/7/2013 11:53:55 PM
I surely do see the difference.
---
Playstation Network Identification: ThienThan
Justin.tv: Shugotenshi ~ Twitter: Shugotenshi714 ~ Youtube: ThienThan ~ Steam: ThienThan
#87Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 4:32:42 AM
Number4Rocket posted...
DarkMusashiden posted...
Your only issue is that they are all based on the same body type of slim and slick dime (even though there is CLEARLY more to their designs than JUST their based human figure).

Yeah, they each have some form of weapon they wield (or in the case of Sasha, a small one that floats around her). That's about it.
(The main difference from Bayo is the length/slimness of the limbs, but it's minor compared to say, the difference between two male characters which have their own size classes. Isn't every female in this light class?)

Meanwhile the guys have mechanical limbs with guns, full-body cyborg suits, body armor that was stripped from Gundams, and even the lone guy that shows lotsa skin has tubes of green goo attached to him.

The variety present in the guys (which does annoy the TC though) is really lacking from the girls. Hell, I wish there actually was a teen girl piloting Big Bull like in that one picture. Or that the girls at least had ONE part of their body modified to look like something non-human, if not most of their body.

Exactly!!! This is just what I mean.

Mind you, I am not annoyed at all by the variety in the male characters. I LOVE the variety they have and wish the females were just like that!!!
What I don't like is the disregard for somewhat realistic human proportions, which is a completely different matter. One thing is making a guy skinny, making a guy big, and making a guy fat: that's good. And another thing is making a guy with an arm double the size of his head. (I repeat again: I know it's a very conscious and interesting artistical choice, I just don't like it.)

And yeah, when I saw that fanart about a cute lil' girl piloting Big Bull...... BEST. IDEA. EVER. :P I so wish that was canon in the game....
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#88DarkMusashidenPosted 2/8/2013 9:41:34 AM(edited)
Number4Rocket posted...

The point is, it would be nice but it's not needed. This discussion is complaining for the sake of complaining really. It not being there doesn't take anything away from the game unless you are just the type to nitpick things out of context to distract from the overall big picture (which is exactly what Lun-Sei is doing, no matter what she claims, lol). The males are heavy and masculine, and the females are light and feminine. The designs served their purpose since they portray the archetypes they are suppose to. I suppose if there WAS the loli archetype as seen in the Big Bull fanart piece there wouldn't be much of a complaint.

The female designs of the game are just fine as is. You can always think of ways to make things better, but to deny that these designs work just fine as is? Come on now. You can't even logically defend that stance considering the designs express exactly what they were designed to, hyper femininity (light and slim). Much like how the male designs express hyper masculinity (big and heavy). There is nothing wrong with that. If someone has a problem with obvious extreme hyperbole of masculinity and femininity in a completely over the top, ridiculous, fictional game, that's on them. No one else.
---
Nothing to see here.
#89Number4RocketPosted 2/8/2013 9:53:12 AM
DarkMusashiden posted...
the designs express exactly what they were designed to

Take your BS authorial intent fallacy down to hell; I could care less for it.
The whole point was that the guys have diversity; they are not all hypermacho beefcakes. Hell, we even have Oinkie in there. And then beyond that they tend to have interesting bodily modifications.
And if you really think the intent was to give more diversity to the guys - then that IS a problem even if you could care less.
#90DarkMusashidenPosted 2/8/2013 10:05:07 AM(edited)
Number4Rocket posted...
Take your BS authorial intent fallacy down to hell; I could care less for it.
The whole point was that the guys have diversity; they are not all hypermacho beefcakes. Hell, we even have Oinkie in there. And then beyond that they tend to have interesting bodily modifications.
And if you really think the intent was to give more diversity to the guys - then that IS a problem even if you could care less.

Of course you can't dispute the point so you simply disregard it. Not surprising in the least.

There is a logic behind the designs that are clear as day and accomplish their goal. Whether you like it or not is on you. Take it or leave it. Next you'll be complaining about how all races aren't represented respectfully in the game. :|
---
Nothing to see here.