How close does SP play to an old school beat em up?

#1DeathofseasonsxPosted 2/5/2013 8:33:47 PM
It looks like it has things like dodge cancel and ****, and from the company responsible for my favorite action game of all time, Godhand, I am expecting great things either way, but I am really hoping this has the feel of a legit old school beat em up in 3d.
---
"Please leave the room if this will offend you"- Budd Dwyer,
#2Lun-SeiPosted 2/6/2013 12:16:18 AM
In single player, the game does feel like an old school beat'em up. And not an easy one either, if you pick a good difficulty setting!!
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#3Number4RocketPosted 2/6/2013 12:27:32 AM
Lun-Sei posted...
In single player, the game does feel like an old school beat'em up. And not an easy one either, if you pick a good difficulty setting!!

Eh, God Hand was way way harder on Normal difficulty.
#4Brocken_JrPosted 2/6/2013 12:59:33 AM
not close at all. your better off buyin streets of rage for $5, or sega ultimate collection for all 3 streets of rages. if your buyin this for the single player, DONT. it is f***in horrible and extremely dissapointing.
---
Which one is hot? A)Baking Soda, B)Lava, or C)Sea Turtle?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunm0CyVSf4
#5Gen2000Posted 2/6/2013 1:06:30 AM
Lower your expectations, you are in danger having them crushed badly. There is sort of a spirit of God Hand there but no where close.
---
The Storm Is About To Rage.....
#6Number4RocketPosted 2/6/2013 1:28:41 AM
This is a multiplayer game though.
And really, how many beat-em up multiplayer games exist? Even moreso, how many employ 8 people in most of the game modes?

If you want multiplayer and like beat-em ups, this game is MAD MAD MAD fun. But old-school? Not so much.
#7shivaPosted 2/6/2013 4:27:16 AM
SIngle player plays nothing like an old-school beat-em-up, at all. Old school beat-em-ups have massive jumps in difficulty from Normal to Hard, like Streets of Rage 3. Hard mode SP in this game is just kill a ton of mindless enemies that almost never attack and when they do it's for low damage. Kill quite some in a row, and generally a stronger foe appears, but nothing too overwhelming. Accept a story mission, and you'll face a regular character with a ton of health and cheated reach on their strings. Then everything repeats. The enemies don't stop coming, ever. And they do nothing remotely menacing. In every level.

It's completely heart breaking, considering that the engine to do a fine single player beat-em-up IS there, but it's not utilized at all. If the single player mode was anything like Mad Survival online, the single player portion of this game had potential for greatness.
---
Power Stone 1 & 2 with online play - the dream will never die. Meanwhile, get a piece of reality with Anarchy Reigns!
#8Number4RocketPosted 2/6/2013 5:11:08 AM
The "bosses" from Normal to Hard are a big jump though. You could probably beat normal by mashing light non-stop. Try that on hard and you die in 10 seconds.

But yeah, God Hand this ain't, that's for sure.
#9Lun-SeiPosted 2/6/2013 5:20:51 AM
Did you guys all play single player mode on easy, or something?

Frankly, I found the single player to be pretty good. I consider this game to be 50% online and 50% offline.
Kinda wish the story was more developed tho.
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#10Number4RocketPosted 2/6/2013 6:02:52 AM
Lun-Sei posted...
Did you guys all play single player mode on easy, or something?

I think it's more like you're unfamiliar what some of Platinum's prior combat-based games (excluding MadWorld but including Vanquish) are like on Hard difficulty.

Or other challenging games for that matter.

Anarchy Reigns is still a cakewalk on Hard Mode; the fight vs. Durga and Garuda is probably the only one where you actually have to pay careful attention (and even then, the actual difficulty varies based on how dumb your CPU buddy chooses to be).