Black mace quest

#1jhonel83Posted 5/7/2011 5:02:03 AM
I'm pretty stuck. I'm supposed to talk to Chevalier de Clermont. When I ask the traveler about him (I guess he's the "frenchman"), he is supposed to be in Smolensk. Once there I can't find him in the tavern nor in town. Where is he??? Can someone give a detailed walkthrough about this blasted quest?
#2Faust21220Posted 5/7/2011 5:46:48 AM
look around on the overowrld map his name will be blue and he will be walking somewhere near that town
---
PSN: ocerkin
i dont play 360 online
#3HellFireXSPosted 5/7/2011 6:11:46 AM
I have a different question about the quest, I got it after saving a village and the game said I was now beholden to a lord or something and I couldnt turn back, all i did was take a quest from an old man but I dont know who this lord is and as far as I know I am my own lord of the rebels with my many towns, some one will not take those. So whats that all about?
---
Why don't you go ahead and have yourself a little lady break, and I'll just take it from here.
#4bgkrisPosted 5/8/2011 3:18:59 AM

I have the same question what do i have to do after taking the quest. It says someone else shoud know about the mace. I speak with the french guy but he says he is too busy now.????

#5Shuklack247Posted 5/8/2011 7:05:14 AM
That 'beholden to a lord' thing is unrelated to the quest I believe, it happens when you assist a faction enough times. I can't remember exactly who sends you to the 'certain Frenchman' (ie the guy you meet at the beginning, he rides around outside of Smolensk.) But I just kept asking every Lord I saw until I got something leading me there. If you get bored of riding around doing it, you can use a cheat (cntrl T) to see everyone on the map, then use (shift click) to teleport around - speeds up that process.

You end up needing to speak to the claimant Janusz Radizwill (or whatever) - he was in Warsaw for me, after you speak to the Frenchman. The Frenchman will only talk to you at the right time in the quest, if he is "busy" there is something else you still need to do - read the quest log carefully.

You then basically have to usurp the Polish crown with Janusz in order for him to tell you about the Black Mace.

I'm stuck there though, after I did all the quests - took down the Poles - and he's King of Poland... when I ask him about the Black Mace now he just says something like "I am in your debt for helping me, but your stubborness is irksome, now is not the time to speak of such things" and I lose -20 relation with him, this repeats every time I ask him. Doesn't seem to matter where he is (in Kiev, outside, nobody around etc)

I even cheated to boost my renown really high to see if I just needed more renown before he would tell me, same with reputation, no go. I'm afraid I bugged it out with one of the related sidequests to capture another faction's noble (who tells me about Janusz' family crypt) and I followed that line to conclusion BEFORE returning for my 'reward' from Janusz for the capture.

Who knows, I'm about to start over anyway.
#6bgkrisPosted 5/8/2011 1:40:34 PM

Well i joined the Cossackls rebellion and won so the claimant is the ruler. And somehow i found a clue that the french gut knows something. I asked him and he said to speak with wit Matviy Gladkiy a Cossack noble and when i ask him abou the mace he says he doesnt know about it my relation with him is -2, is it becouse of that and he doest give tasks so i can improve it.

#7dkolb87Posted 5/11/2011 1:51:50 AM
POTENTIAL SPOILERS
So far this is basically how I started the quest, but I think there are a couple different ways to start it. I went up and helped out the Cossack (Red Army) by doing some "special missions" for them. then one of the warlords told me to go save a village and when I did an old man starts the Black Mace quest. Then I talked to the Frenchman (he's around the city of Smolensk) and he started some other quest with the Muscovites and also told me to find Radziwell. Radziwell is always in the tavern of some Polish city. He hints that he knows about the black Mace but you have to join him. For me it was Warsaw. If you have around 200 renown you can start his rebellion. Eventually your given a mission to take the city of Kiev and when you do, Radziwell tells you to talk to the mayor who gives additional information about the mace. Then the next quest is to capture a Crimean Lord. Sometimes they will escape but if you capture one, a "cutscene" happens where the Crimean Lord talks to you and you find this mysterious sheet that leads you to the Archives in Riga. The game makes it seem like Radsiwell is hiding something so I put the Crimean guy in a prison and went to Riga. I'm stuck there because the lord has to give you permission to access the archives and so far I haven't been able to get him to grant it. But I don't know if I'm supposed to take the city or what but that's where I'm stuck.
---
Dood... if the realization of man on goat action isnt a good ending i dont know what is. -LordMace
gamertag: ptlsaints
#8catsimboyPosted 5/11/2011 5:14:40 AM
You have to either take the city and get appointed the Lord or make the current Lord like you enough, I think around 30 disposition (or was it 40?) and he'll give permission. The heck of it was I took the city for the Polish claimant (after I helped him take the throne) I asked him to give it to me and he gives it to some other bozo. I go to the bozo and ask for permission and he says "Oh you're new around here I can't" and I was like "I JUST CAPTURED THE CITY AND IT WAS GIVEN TO YOU! YOU'RE NEWER THAN I AM!"

Make sure to keep track of what's said during the next part of the quest (and please share it here) because the stuff one of the next people in the quest says isn't saved in the Quest log and I'm stuck.
---
I should not walk so a child may live.----http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Catsimboy
#9dkolb87Posted 5/12/2011 12:30:55 AM
catsimboy posted...
You have to either take the city and get appointed the Lord or make the current Lord like you enough, I think around 30 disposition (or was it 40?) and he'll give permission. The heck of it was I took the city for the Polish claimant (after I helped him take the throne) I asked him to give it to me and he gives it to some other bozo. I go to the bozo and ask for permission and he says "Oh you're new around here I can't" and I was like "I JUST CAPTURED THE CITY AND IT WAS GIVEN TO YOU! YOU'RE NEWER THAN I AM!"

^I hear ya this game is extremely frustrating in that regard. Eventually the governor wouldn't give me any more quests to improve my rating or whatever with him so I eventually had to make the swedes hostile which is not fun. My advice for people wanting to do this quest is to overall have everyone as neutral is you can have them (except for maybe the Crimeans/polish guys your trying to rebel against) because you have to go into alot of towns and it is alot easier to look for stuff when they aren't hostile.

Anyway continuing where I left off:

*MAJOR SPOILERS*
I took Riga and when it was in transition period to be given to someone I was allowed inside the archives which mentioned a burial plot near Kiev(?) for the Radziwells. Well I went to talk to one of the Polish generals who I was on good terms with he told me the burial plot was in Nezvitzh (talking to Radsiwell himself about this causes him to freak about and lose 20 relation with you because he's a douche) So I went to Nezyitzh and to advance the story you need to tell them that your coming on behalf of Radsiwell which makes the village elder then tell you about a Russian guy who was also looking for the black mace. So you go outside and theres a deserter army over 100 strong with at least 50 winged hussars(uh oh) fortunately you can pay them off if you want to namedrop this old Russian guy named Boryantanski. Then you need to find his son who is a member of the Muscovites. Then he tells you his dad had a book about all of this but he sold it so THEN you have to look in every town until you find the book merchant. Buy the book for 7000 which gives you a hint about some old Cossack legend so you need to go talk to the Cossack leaders who tell you to find Cossack Mamai who if you haven't guessed it already is in a random town, then he joins your party and you need to find ANOTHER Cossack: this one is also in a random town and is named Ivan Barabash is another claimant. Fortunately he doesn't require you to revolt but unfortunately he tells you to go all the way back to Nezyitzh. So we've officially gone in a circle but finally stuff starts to happen. Mamai will tell you to be prepared and I would agree with that. After the event you now have a "new enemy" Mamai gives you two options to deal with this enemy and I chose the 1st one because it sounded easier. Really the rest of the quest is sort of straightforward. I found the enemy just wandering around and baited him into attacking me in the wagon fortification and beat up his army.....and got the BLACK MACE! I haven't used it in battle yet but it looks like it has powerful stats and has a REALLY powerful ability. So yes the black mace is actually a thing and a pretty good thing. Is it worth doing all this and going through all the hassle and frustration? Probably not but on the other hand the advantage of getting a mace as the end prize is that once you have it, it's therapeutic to smash stuff with!
---
Dood... if the realization of man on goat action isnt a good ending i dont know what is. -LordMace
gamertag: ptlsaints
#10catsimboyPosted 5/12/2011 3:24:43 AM
Thank you very much for the walkthrough of the end, I would've never figured that out.
---
I should not walk so a child may live.----http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Catsimboy