How similar is this to Castlevania?

#1Mitsuhide11Posted 5/30/2012 3:19:22 PM
Game play, length, replayability, lore, etc. Thinking of importing, thanks.
#2ExternicaPosted 5/31/2012 1:49:58 AM
Didn't felt like Castlevania at all.
Granted, the only 3D-Castlevania I ever played were on the N64. All the others were either Metriodvania or the Classic Jump 'n Runs.

The chain Aeron wields isn't used as a whip in the common sense. You use it to stun enemies just as much, as you use it to inflict damage. And depending on how long you pull the cahined enemy, the more damage the enemy takes.
Most of the time you use the regular weapon. Sword, Twin Daggers, Scythe and an exclusive NG+ weapon.
However, you use it to grab far away ledges and pipes to swing over a chasm.

Length... hm... about 20 hours. A bit shorter than TLS. But there are five endings. Depending on how good/bad your affinity with Elena is. The worst ending triggers after Tower 8, I think. All the others after the 12th tower. NG+ carries the affinity over, but its really easy to drop the affinity just by giving Elena presents she dislike. bones for example.

You can also find a LOT of documents regarding the army's experiments at the 13 towers, about the masters and background infornmation about the world. Though you only have access to the towers and never see the rest, other than the capital and Elena's hometown in flashbacks. The documents do the game a lot of good and after a while you really understand what the world of PT is like.

About the gameplay, you only explore the 13 towers. Every tower is rather short, but the bosses can take some time and are mostly puzzle bosses. Find the pattern, attack the weak spot and finish it before time runs out.
Common enemies are nothing but button smashing, with some quick dodges strew over it. Overall, it's simpke to moderate in difficulty.

There's also a store, where you can pay for several items. But there isn't much.money to be found. Inside the towers are also items, you could sell if you wanted, but that's no good idea. You see, the shop also offers to syntesize items for free. So, if you're low on cash but need healing items, you can make them for yourself.
Also, Mawda, the Shopkeeper, can also enhance your weapons, making them stronger. For weapon enhancement and synthesize you only need the materials, no money.

Other way to get money is by bringing Mawda documents and monster flesh. She pays for it. Also, you need to give Elena flesh on a regular basis. Once you're inside the tower, a timer starts. After some time, Elena startrs to turn into a monster. If the timer reaches 0, it's game over. Depending on the felsh's quality, a set amount of time will be restored. Pulsating flesh will fill up the timer to 100 %, dripping flesh for about 90 - 80 % of the maximum capacity.
You also can't keep flesh with you, once you return to the towers with flesh in your inventory, the flesh instantly rots. Sell it to Mawda, she pays good for it.

I think that's about it in a nutshell.
Personal, PT is my favourite of all three "rainfall"-games.
#3ramseanPosted 5/31/2012 5:41:03 AM
people say its similar to lament of innocence(think thats the name).
---
Best games: Metroid Prime, Killer7, Enslaved, FFX
Best bands: Skindred, InMe, QOTSA, The Libertines
#4Mitsuhide11(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2012 1:29:31 PM
Awesome, thanks for the in depth responses. I was wondering how much the whip was used. Will most likely import this now. Will let you know my thoughts in time. :)
#5BunnywunnyPosted 5/31/2012 5:48:56 PM
it's more like zelda than castlevania. The chain is like a tool that has a ton of uses and is very immersed while zelda tools are usually pretty simplistic and only used for the area immediately after you find them

the chain is used constantly for mobility, puzzle solving, and fighting monsters. probably moreso than your standard weapons even
---
"Me fail English? that's unpossible"
-Ralph Wiggum
#6ramseanPosted 6/1/2012 3:47:48 AM
Bunnywunny posted...
it's more like zelda than castlevania. The chain is like a tool that has a ton of uses and is very immersed while zelda tools are usually pretty simplistic and only used for the area immediately after you find them

the chain is used constantly for mobility, puzzle solving, and fighting monsters. probably moreso than your standard weapons even

They fixed this in skyward sword thank god. I was getting tired of one dungeon items
---
Best games: Metroid Prime, Killer7, Enslaved, FFX
Best bands: Skindred, InMe, QOTSA, The Libertines