The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

So.... I think Aeron is autistic.... (not a joke topic)

#1ZerosPosted 5/3/2013 7:34:47 PM
Looking at it, I was confused at first because he never talks. At first I figured "okay, silent protagonist". But then he talks from time to time. So I figured "Okay, like a Self Insert sort of protagonist, where you're supposed to fill in the blanks of his personality with what you think". But the thing is he isn't lacking in character or personality. For all of his not talking, he's not even a little stoic. And he clearly has some established backstory, though I'm not far enough to know what yet. Point is, there doesn't seem to be any gameplay reasoning why he doesn't talk. Its just part of his character.

So essentially, we have someone who its just part of his character design that he doesn't talk almost ever.. Even when he clearly has things to communicate. He has the ability, but he just doesn't really.. which I can't help but think of asperger's. Obviously there's nothing else that points to it (not at the moment) but its just so strange how he doesn't talk. That and I just think it would be neat if the star of an action game is autistic.

Thoughts?
---
BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!!!
#2AxtlarPosted 5/3/2013 8:00:19 PM
It would be pretty neat if it were true, but.... then most video game protagonists would fall under that.

Although, Aeron does have backstory and does show "some" feelings.
#3AvvilPosted 5/3/2013 8:01:31 PM
Thoughts?

I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion (though I'm not finished with the game myself), but I agree completely with your comments about Aeron in terms of his nature as a character. He definitely has personality and backstory, and I don't feel that he's meant to be a silent protagonist in the "blank self-insert" sense. The fact that he's quite reticent is even commented on by Elena more than once, and never in a "Haha, we're lampshading our self-insert protagonist" way.
---
"But...her voice when she's in pain is pretty adorable, you know?"
-Saya, Saya no Uta
#4Zeros(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 8:39:16 PM
Yeah. I guess it wasn't so much a conclusion as a hypothesis, but I do think its definitely just part of his character that he doesn't talk and not just a silent protagonist. The weird thing to me is that usually the quiet characters are sort of stoic if not sullen and Aeron is... Almost childlike sometimes. At least in so much as he acts like someone his age more then most JRPG characters.
---
BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!!!
#5mtjormitchPosted 5/3/2013 11:44:19 PM
Zeros posted...
Looking at it, I was confused at first because he never talks. At first I figured "okay, silent protagonist". But then he talks from time to time. So I figured "Okay, like a Self Insert sort of protagonist, where you're supposed to fill in the blanks of his personality with what you think". But the thing is he isn't lacking in character or personality. For all of his not talking, he's not even a little stoic. And he clearly has some established backstory, though I'm not far enough to know what yet. Point is, there doesn't seem to be any gameplay reasoning why he doesn't talk. Its just part of his character.

So essentially, we have someone who its just part of his character design that he doesn't talk almost ever.. Even when he clearly has things to communicate. He has the ability, but he just doesn't really.. which I can't help but think of asperger's. Obviously there's nothing else that points to it (not at the moment) but its just so strange how he doesn't talk. That and I just think it would be neat if the star of an action game is autistic.

Thoughts?

I came up with a similar theory about Yu Narukami in Persona 4 The Animation. I got modded for that for some strange reason.

But as someone who is a high functioning autistic and has a very mild case of Aspergers. I gotta be honest. I think Aeron has aspergers in a way that does get in the way of things. He is kinda in the middle area of middle tier autistic and high functioning areas. I think he is more high functioning than anything else.

However. The evidence is in the game. The more you play it, the more obvious it gets. He only talks when needed to and, even at the S ending...

SPOILERS FOR S ENDING!!!!!

Aeron doesn't say he loves Elena back after the final boss. Not because he doesn't love her, but because it is obvious to him that he loves her and he doesn't need to keep saying he loves her. His actions basically said it all. This is a very common problem with having Aspergers in a relationship. That the one without Aspergers usually doesn't feel loved because they don't know that the one with Aspergers loves them because they don't say it.

END SPOILERS!

So yeah. I actually do believe that he does have autism. I welcome a freaking character, a main one at that who is autistic and shown in positive light... not to many of them out there.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#6ExternicaPosted 5/3/2013 11:47:57 PM
Well, by this standard I'd be an autist, too.
I can talk, but mostly I choose not to say anything, I'm just sitting there and let others talk. I only speak when asked about my opinion or talked to directly. Not because I'm autistic or stoic or a person of few words. No, I'm just shy.
And I assumed Aeron is shy, too.

I don't know where, but there's a flashback scene, when Aeron was living at Elena's place where she wants to cut Aeron's hair. Now, my memory is a bit fuzzy, as I havn't played this game in a while. But I believe he had an emberassed smile on his face.
This smile can have many reasons, a cute girl cutting his hair or he's worried about the outcome. *shrug*
But honestly, I always thought Aeron's shy.

Or it has something to do with the way how his homeland drills the soldiers.
Thinking about it, that might be a lot more likley than Aeron being shy.
#7mtjormitchPosted 5/4/2013 12:16:34 AM
Externica posted...
Well, by this standard I'd be an autist, too.
I can talk, but mostly I choose not to say anything, I'm just sitting there and let others talk. I only speak when asked about my opinion or talked to directly. Not because I'm autistic or stoic or a person of few words. No, I'm just shy.
And I assumed Aeron is shy, too.

I don't know where, but there's a flashback scene, when Aeron was living at Elena's place where she wants to cut Aeron's hair. Now, my memory is a bit fuzzy, as I havn't played this game in a while. But I believe he had an emberassed smile on his face.
This smile can have many reasons, a cute girl cutting his hair or he's worried about the outcome. *shrug*
But honestly, I always thought Aeron's shy.

Or it has something to do with the way how his homeland drills the soldiers.
Thinking about it, that might be a lot more likley than Aeron being shy.

You CAN be shy and autistic though. That is one thing that pisses me off about movies with autistic people. They have no freaking emotions. But that isn't true. They also, if they are high funtioning like Aeron, can comprehend emotions, they just aren't that good at displaying them unless it is obvious at the time. Like a scary moment requires a scared face. But something like an awkward situation or a tough to deal one can be really freaking hard to judge what kind of face to use in that moment.

That is also another myth that autistic people are sociopaths because they often times can accidently smile at the totally wrong times. Seriously, put an autistic person into a awkward situation and it will get WORSE.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#8BeanBeanKingdomPosted 5/4/2013 12:29:04 AM
Aeron's character description on the official site does say he is "a man of few words". He just doesn't like talking that much, I've seen perfectly normal people like that. It's got nothing to do with being a player avatar, he's got a defined backstory complete with flashbacks and a personality clearly displayed through his action. His being of few words is just part of that personality.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#9GoogiPosted 5/4/2013 12:31:21 PM
He's from Athos so he doesn't speak Elyrian well.
---
"The true way to be an anime fan is to keep it hidden and be ashamed of it." - x Row x
#10Citan22Posted 5/6/2013 6:21:27 PM
thats cause Elena does enough talking for the both of them! the entire game i imagined Aeron thinking:

"Oh my god, just shut up already.. What the hell have i gotten myself into? Here I am up all night slaying crazy tower beasts, and she's making a dang scene over a little slug juice on the floor.. And just who the hell is this freaky old bag telling me what to do every two minutes?! Man.. mom was right- this chick is nothin but BAD news.. Oh $#!%, she's waking up and I am not about to listen to her go on again about some weird dream.. Tower beasts here I come!!"
---
http://imgflip.com/i/zje3