The Castlevania Title that Wii Always Wanted

#1NintenbroPosted 8/24/2013 2:08:49 PM
Does anybody else think this game has a real Castlevania meets The Legend of Zelda esque feeling to it? It sure does feel a lot more like a main series Castlevania title, compared to that horrible fighting game Wii received. Some of the architecture and puzzling elements in the towers also reminds me a lot of Skyward Sword, for some reason.
---
Wii FC: 8197-8833-3892-6232
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489
#2ViniciusFernandPosted 8/30/2013 7:14:43 AM
Mostly agree with, this game felt more like Castlevanina than Lords of Shadow. But I kind of liked the fighting game.
#3Hated_DarknessPosted 9/20/2013 4:51:13 PM
Yeah it definitely has some degree of the Castlevania aesthetic in many areas' architecture, although not all--like the humanoid statues at the start of the dungeons stick out to me as "non-CVish." But obviously every game is going to have its own divergences.

I specifically got a similar feeling when in several of the towers as I did when playing the PS2 Castlevanias, probably since those are the CVs which are most graphically in line with PT.
---
Arbitrary guidelines for greatness from an "expert" are still subjective.
Only factual, scientifically-tested criteria can escape subjectivity.
#4GorillaGDPosted 9/30/2013 11:48:36 PM
Yeah I had that vibe too. I hear Judgement is pretty bad and the only other Castlevania titles on the wii are re-releases or remakes.
#5Hated_DarknessPosted 10/1/2013 3:08:41 AM
GorillaGD posted...
Yeah I had that vibe too. I hear Judgement is pretty bad and the only other Castlevania titles on the wii are re-releases or remakes.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth may be a remake but because the graphics, level design and bosses and such are all new, it's still worth checking out if one likes the classicvanias. Basically only the "plot" remains from the original CV: The Adventure and obviously the game wasn't and isn't too focused on that. It's sort of the same relationship as the game it's remaking as Super Castlevania IV has with the original Castlevania.
---
#6egpNoodlezPosted 10/10/2013 8:32:52 AM
It doesn't feel quite like a CV title. It has that CV element with the chain, and I'd definitely put the Vespa Chain up there with the Vampire Killer and Combat Cross for most iconic video game chains and whips, but otherwise to me it felt more like The Legend of Zelda meets Team Ico. It's not CV hard unless you're saying SotN, and in general I don't feel like I'm playing a CV game.

As for Lords of Shadow, that is so going to depend on whether or not you care about the mythology or the gameplay. For people looking for gameplay, they would largely scoff at LoS for being so different and just give it a sweeping generalisation that it a God of War game, which is largely a shame. If people actually play it, it's different from dial-a-combo-of-War, and actually calls on the old skool CV formula of learning an enemy entirely, it's attacks, tells and effectiveness with other enemies, and then systemically taking them all apart. That, and it's just nice to use the Vampire Killer in 3D, I never got LoI or CoD and PAL PSN refuses to put them on there.

If you're in it for something that actually combines the CV lore into a cohesive narrative, LoS achieves that deliciously well. IGA's CV series is so convulted, and half of the series doesn't even care (Juste for example, he just basically stumbles into Dracula?). Cannot wait for LoS2, it's taking forever.
---
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/egpNoodlez/BBE_40.jpg
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/11/egpNoodlez.png
#7Hated_DarknessPosted 10/11/2013 12:14:42 PM
^ LoS1 had CV lore beyond namedrops? I don't recall much. Given that it takes place in an alternate universe from the main CV series, it's hard to say what qualifies as using original series "lore" given the characters are different people even if they share a name.

Not to mention comparing the level of convolution of a 10+ entry series (if you only want to count games with Iga involvement) to a 2 (soon to be 3) entry series might be a little unfair.

Also, the reason Juste "stumbles into" Dracula is because Maxim gathered Dracula's remains together, although if you mean Juste didn't realize it was Dracula controlling Maxim's dark side until Dracula Wraith reveals himself you might call it that.
---
#8ViniciusFernandPosted 10/23/2013 6:05:16 AM
When I started playing I thought this was one of the best castlevanias I played in a while. It felt like the castlevania that was promissed to the wii. As for the fighting game, I liked that one it had a killer soundtrack and it brought back Cornell.
The lords of shadow series, never really felt like a castlevania game to me, I think they are good games, just terrible Castlevanias.
#9MotleyKhonPosted 11/12/2013 2:35:39 PM
egpNoodlez posted...
It doesn't feel quite like a CV title. It has that CV element with the chain, and I'd definitely put the Vespa Chain up there with the Vampire Killer and Combat Cross for most iconic video game chains and whips, but otherwise to me it felt more like The Legend of Zelda meets Team Ico. It's not CV hard unless you're saying SotN, and in general I don't feel like I'm playing a CV game.

As for Lords of Shadow, that is so going to depend on whether or not you care about the mythology or the gameplay. For people looking for gameplay, they would largely scoff at LoS for being so different and just give it a sweeping generalisation that it a God of War game, which is largely a shame. If people actually play it, it's different from dial-a-combo-of-War, and actually calls on the old skool CV formula of learning an enemy entirely, it's attacks, tells and effectiveness with other enemies, and then systemically taking them all apart. That, and it's just nice to use the Vampire Killer in 3D, I never got
LoI or CoD and PAL PSN refuses to put them on there.

If you're in it for something that actually combines the CV lore into a cohesive narrative, LoS achieves that deliciously well. IGA's CV series is so convulted, and half of the series doesn't even care (Juste for example, he just basically stumbles into Dracula?). Cannot wait for LoS2, it's taking forever.

It really is a shame you took so much time to write an essay on something you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

Lords of plagiarism sucks. It just took several successful video games and mashed them together in an uninspired crap adventure, and then pinned a (terrible) interpretation of the originals plot on top, and gaffed it so much that they had to sell it as a "reboot"

When in reality, it was not a reboot, just a confused mess that needed an identity, so they just slapped the brand name on. (ALSO that shadow of the colossus rip off boss is LOL)

As for juste? Well, I'm aware that another gamer on this board has already corrected you there, and highlighted your ignorance, which suggests that your talk smack about games without even playing them.

OT:Pandora's tower was awesome.
---
Shame on you, you know having a sense of humor gets you banned.
3DS FC :3368-1249-0145
#10egpNoodlezPosted 11/13/2013 8:48:32 AM
MotleyKhon posted...
It really is a shame you took so much time to write an essay on something you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

Want to project harder? Your hatred of Lords of Shadow aside, if I was to go by your logic, you also wrote a bunch of crap that is basically self-motivated hatred towards a reboot of a series you clearly love, but also have an irrational knee jerk reaction when it comes to defending it from being associated with Lords of Shadow.

BTW, in order to plagiarise they'd have to be stealing, but the name is clearly Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and is published by Konami. So what if it's not a Castlevania game in the classsvania, metroidvania or 3Dvania sense? Not liking the title? That's fine. Acting like your pretend world, where Lords of Shadow doesn't have the Castlevania name in front of it, is reality? That's delusional.

For the record, while I played Castlevania since the first on Famicom, I never really got into the series until the DS era. Missed SotN because I did not have a PlayStation, and I did not get the GBA games because I was a teen back then and I couldn't afford every franchise I wanted. Saying that, I have gone over the Wikia notes for each game, as well as Gametrailer's Castlevania Retrospective.

I do recognise Lords of Shadow is typically not your traditional Castlevania game and does not incorporate the ideal mechanics associated with the series, largely the mix of combat and platforming (actual platforming, not the AC + R2 to swing stuff), Lords of Shadow has its combat and platforming largely distinct from each other. Despite that, as the Castlevania game that actually made me care about the series after twenty-something years, it achieved in making a game in the series where I really cared for it's story, and has brought a lot of gamers attention back to the series.

Besides if you're really butthurt, don't worry, the Lords of Shadow series will end after LoS2. You won't have to cry hard anymore.

Hated_Darkness posted...
Not to mention comparing the level of convolution of a 10+ entry series (if you only want to count games with Iga involvement) to a 2 (soon to be 3) entry series might be a little unfair.

I suppose that is true, since those games were designed with gameplay in mind first and then eventually through time, companies with long franchises were trying to tie their franchises "timelines" together.

Yes Lords of Shadow is a different universe as it is a reboot, but I think they have reworked the existing IGA lore into the LoS universe. For example, Gandalfi is still the creator of the "Vampire Killer", and the Bernard Castle is still the magically enchanted demon castle home to vampires. BUT I WILL SAY ONE THING; I hate that Dracul's throne room no longer has stairs leading to it. Instead the stairs are based for Carmilla's Room, the Mirror of Fate. I understand that room is really important in the LoS universe, but I miss those stairs before the throne room :(

Oh, and the LoS Succubus sucks, Succubus should never wear skirts.
---
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/egpNoodlez/BBE_40.jpg
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/11/egpNoodlez.png