Disappointment so far

#1The_EyesPosted 5/2/2012 9:06:25 PM
Here's why

1. Shot Distance, so far nearly every shot I've taken has been ~170 yards or less. For a decent shooter that's iron sight distance. Way too much close quarter combat for a game that's supposed to be long range sniping combat. Remember the thousand yard shot you could take in Sniper Elite on the airfield map?

2. Linearity, as people said before the game is way too linear. 95% of the time you HAVE to engage the enemy to get by. There's no sneaking by, approaching your target from different angles, setting up that perfect trap, ect. This feels too much like an action, kill! kill! kill!, game and less like a stealth/ strategy game.

3. Ballistics, I like the idea of bullet drop and windage but holy damn did they mess that up big time. I broke out my K98 for one level, zeroed in on a guys head center of my cross hairs and... wtf? The red diamond fell on his chest. Suggesting that 8mm Mauser Drops 6-10 inches at 150 yards is absolutely laughable, the same is true of 7.62x54r and 30-06. Bullets take a parabolic path, if anything the bullet would still be impacting high or point of aim at 150. And before everyone jumps to "HURR how do you know?" I'm an avid shooter and reloader, ballistics are my thing. If you want to make the game more difficult , stretch the shots out. Don't give us laughable bullet drops. If you're going to make a game and brag about your ballistics physics I feel you should at least get it right.

4. Rifle Zero, on that same token. You'd think a sniping game would allow you to Zero your own rifle. You've all seen the movies "3 clicks up, 4 down, take the shot blah blah". Why not allow us to click up the scope rather than force me to use the bottom half of the reticle for the entire game?

6. Rests, I don't know how many of you have played Red Orchestra but they got it so right. Crouched down in front of a window sill or some other object? Your character rests his rifle on it to further steady his shot. For a sniping game I'd consider this essential, for longer shots especially, to have some sort of rest system.

As a life long shooter, Once the novelty of the X-Ray cams wore off I began to see the flaws in this game. It doesn't have to be super ultra realism to be fun. I can't speak for everyone, but I believe if they had added some of my points above this would have been a much more enjoyable game. Hopefully it gets better in the later levels. If not, that was 40 bucks down the drain.
---
I reject your reality and substitute my own
~Adam Savage
#2worldwar24Posted 5/2/2012 10:05:03 PM
Yeah, all games have their flaws ... gameplay vs realism. Many of your points are how I felt about the first one. Sad to hear about the linearity that many people are commenting on, even the first one seemed to have more open maps. [I picked up my copy today, but the Steam God says I can't install till tomorrow *shakes fist* @ same]

It'd be nice to be able to play the stealth route, and then play again and blast everything in sight, maybe next time. I was really hoping for longer ranges and a more accurate ballistics model this time 'round [though the demo showed that wasn't going to happen].

Many of the restrictions are possiblely due to the graphics engine being unable to draw long distances, I dunno really.

One day someone's bound to make a sniper game that pleases everyone.
---
xxiv
#3SpeedJunkie79Posted 5/3/2012 12:12:37 AM
Have to agree with you, The_eyes. I was really hyped up for this game after playing the demo, but for the exact same reasons you mentioned, I feel the game fell pretty short of what it could have been. For having the actual words "Sniper Elite" splashed across the title, you'd at the very least expect some truly long distance shots.
#4BigMan313Posted 5/3/2012 4:59:10 AM
I'm not ready to say I've wasted money yet but I am extremely disappointed in how small the maps were and once I got to the end of the second mission I realized that they are just going to funnel me kills for the whole game. I tried just sneaking past people but then when your extraction is the same way you came you have to fight them anyway. I'm starting to think stealth is dead.
---
I don't know much about DC other than Flash could solo the Marvelverse and that Batman could make god stop believing in himself. - Rauzaraku
#5ZukkusPosted 5/3/2012 9:46:04 AM
I remember that level in the original Sniper Elite where you had to sneak through a level and plant explosives on a vehicle to stop a convoy. If you got caught, basically it was all over. It was fun trying to sneak through and double-tap Russians with the silenced pistol and hide their bodies. That was some good stealth.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#6The_Eyes(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 1:16:01 PM
Well for those of you concerned, I just sent rebellion a rather long winded email clearly outlining my disappointment with this game. Ill post any responses I get if people are interested.
---
I reject your reality and substitute my own
~Adam Savage
#7worldwar24Posted 5/3/2012 1:36:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8worldwar24Posted 5/3/2012 5:06:18 PM
^ Sorry,

*was venting ...* ... a little
---
xxiv
#9RapidFirE53211Posted 5/3/2012 5:18:43 PM

I agree with all of OP. It's really disappointing that the bullet physics are a main sellig point, but they are so off.

#10BlackMantisPosted 5/3/2012 9:30:31 PM
As a gun enthusiast IRL, I have to agree with all these points.

When I'm out with my Remington 700 (.308) shooting out at 150 yards, in no way does it come close to have that much bullet drop.