Mario going down the route of Crash Bandicoot?

#1LiwakipPosted 12/4/2011 6:56:23 PM
Keep in mind that I grew up during the NES generation. My last mario game I truly enjoyed was 64.

Sunshine was great and I applaud them for trying something different, but having the backpack 99% of the time was boring, Galaxy was a great game as well. My only gripe is the motion controls. I feel motion controls are gimmicky. If you slap a gamecube or classic controller onto galaxies, i feel it would be on par with 64 ( and that may be my nostalgia kicking in)

Now fast foward to his more recent games....SMG2, NSMB, and now this. I think Yahtzee from the escapist magazine said it best when reviewing SMG1." Where else is mario to go when he has been to space?"

I feel the last couple of installations have been nothing but rehashes of a formula, While giving mario fans mario...not really offering anything new to the table and the difficulty is becoming laughable.

This game seems to follow that route. Throw some nostalgia (tanooki) , copy formula and boom , sell massive amounts of games. Marios 25th anniversary was even lousy. Look at Crash: Mind Over Mutant. Activision delivered nostalgia AND offered it in a new way. It seems like the quality of mario games has gone down and Crash with Crash of the Titans and MOM has gone up.
---
[NO BARKLEY NO PEACE]
#2ChronoCactaurPosted 12/4/2011 7:02:20 PM
I really don't see the similarities between 3D Land and Crash. MAYBE the 2D levels, but otherwise it's grasping at straws. :/
#3SnoozerBearPosted 12/4/2011 7:15:27 PM
NOTE: This thread has been identified as a Toke Jopic. It's failure rate is 95.32%. Conclusion: TC knows how to copy and paste.

Original Jopic found here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620831-super-mario-3d-land/61027348
---
I have a gaming blog! - www.ihavefury.com
Featured Article: Shadow Wars Review - http://www.ihavefury.com/2011/11/3ds-review-ghost-recon-shadow-wars.html
#4DiogenesKCPosted 12/4/2011 7:39:42 PM(edited)
Mario should go down the route of Homestuck.

Okay not really.

But a Homestuck topic would be better than this one.

edit: One aspect of the plot is explained in terms of Crash Bandicoots.
---
awful, artificial, and amusing
Dance puppets dance. Regular puppets don't.
#5Marcx629Posted 12/4/2011 8:27:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6hyliamanPosted 12/4/2011 11:30:09 PM
ChronoCactaur posted...
I really don't see the similarities between 3D Land and Crash. MAYBE the 2D levels, but otherwise it's grasping at straws. :/

I can see a few similarities to EARLY Crash titles and this game. But it'd be a stretch to say the rest of the game has many similarities.... though I don't know much about Crash apart from his first two games, so I can't speak for his later titles resemblances to Mario.
---
You can look? This object... You crash your theory.
#7the_phenom_Posted 12/5/2011 12:15:08 AM
I'm sure I read this EXACT thread before but with Sonic instead of Crash Bandicoot.

ALSO: Crash Bandicoot games were only decent at best.
#8hyliamanPosted 12/5/2011 1:19:06 AM
the_phenom_ posted...
I'm sure I read this EXACT thread before but with Sonic instead of Crash Bandicoot.

You did.
---
You can look? This object... You crash your theory.