Anyone else kinda disappointed the next Mario platformer on the 3DS is 2D?

#1ImGanondorfLolPosted 3/25/2012 2:25:45 AM
I'll admit, I'm just being selfish, and I want to know if anyone else is being selfish like me. Don't get me wrong, there should always be 2D Mario and it eventually has to come. A lot of fans prefer 2D Mario, and it is a huge seller. It's just that I'm disappointed that it's time for another 2D Mario. I really enjoy 2D Mario games, I just prefer the 3D ones and I was hoping for a sequel to 3D land(I bet you there will be.. and we can all bet it would have Yoshi). I guess it's still possible later in the 3DS's life.
#2UltraOshawottPosted 3/25/2012 10:44:28 AM
Well, in Japan, they prefer 2D games more than 3D, hence why New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold ten times more than Super Mario Galaxy 2 there. I think they're rejoicing at another 2D platformer.
#3HeroFromKryptonPosted 3/25/2012 11:53:18 AM
Not disappointed at all, but I really don't want another NSMB game. They're fine games, but they played too heavily on nostalgia. Well.. it was more like NSMB was the nostalgia game, and NSMBWii was nostalgia + co-op multiplayer. I think there needs to be more story (just something beyond the bare-bones princess-kidnapping plot) and some sortof gameplay innovation.
#4ImGanondorfLol(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2012 7:11:35 PM
UltraOshawott posted...
Well, in Japan, they prefer 2D games more than 3D, hence why New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold ten times more than Super Mario Galaxy 2 there. I think they're rejoicing at another 2D platformer.

Not really. Yes 2D Mario always sells a whole lot more, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold 4 times than SMG2 in both America and Japan, Japan doesn't prefer 2D Mario any more than America.
#5SullyTheStrangePosted 3/26/2012 7:28:12 AM
I don't want another NSMB game either. They're just... bland.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#6Mascot_GamerPosted 3/26/2012 3:05:44 PM
The question should be phrased “do I want to play Super Mario Bros. 3 again with better graphics (and minimal effort)”. They need to remember how they created SMB3, SMW and Yoshi’s Island which were all creative in their environments and platforming design and all very different from one another. Something tells me it is going to be made by the NSMB team, so the best we can probably hope for is that they heavily draw on nostalgia from places other than SMB3.
#7HeroFromKryptonPosted 3/28/2012 4:36:01 PM
They need to approach the game as if it's like any other modern game. Do something new, the game's "gimmick" can't simply be "it's classic Mario". Treat the fact that it's 2d as incidental.
#8Solid SonicPosted 3/28/2012 7:44:23 PM
No...mostly since nothing can actually be said about it.
---
NGG: Nonstop Gamer Groaning
#9fan615boyPosted 3/28/2012 9:59:14 PM
nonthing wrong with a 2D mario game, just as long as it's not as easy as NSMB, there is easy and then there is insulting and NSMB was insulting
---
the rockey horror picture show is the best movie ever
#10quittaboi78Posted 4/1/2012 6:26:37 PM
You know...I really wouldn't mind Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars 3D. The game has a few platformer moments that was technically difficult to judge at times due to the perspective / 2D limitations. If they believe that the 3DS for Super Mario 3D Land helped judge the view, they can just add a few more of these moments, expanding the field design to make the remake justifiable, and rebalancing the game to make up for the longer levels. Add in your standard RPG enhanced remake fair (ie. more bosses / features / [more importantly] more Mario elements), and you have something more suited for 3DS than SNES. Just reel in the approval of Square-Enix, which was considering doing remakes of Final Fantasy V & VI anyway.
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
More topics from this board...
3D effectsSuperVegito248717/27 7:09PM