How do you get the crown ranking?

#1PoweranimalsPosted 5/9/2012 5:41:03 PM
I beat the crown level by the skin of my teeth, but I still don't have the ranking.
#2RedIsPoeticPosted 5/9/2012 6:47:46 PM
Congrats! What do you mean by 'ranking'? You earn the fifth Save File Star upon unlocking Special World 8-Crown, but there's no ranking of any kind.
---
Major Upcoming FAQ Projects: Paper Mario 3DS, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Fire Emblem: Kakusei
#3Poweranimals(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 9:12:39 PM
Oh my bad. I must have been mistaken then. So I get no reward for beating the 8-crown level? That kinda sucks. I beat it with both Mario and Luigi and even got the golden flag too. Guess that's everything?
#4RedIsPoeticPosted 5/10/2012 3:18:30 PM
You have the reward of the warmness in your heart!!! I mean, come on, the Goal Pole area in S8-Crown made me feel so happy. :3 But yes, that's everything. :) Congrats! The only other thing that I could think of is maxing your lives and Star Coins, or at least finding every mystery box at least once.
---
Major Upcoming FAQ Projects: Paper Mario 3DS, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Fire Emblem: Kakusei
#5System ErrorPosted 5/10/2012 8:14:05 PM
Well, you are the person who is happy whenever you get a 1UP from a flagpole, so eh.

In other news, having just beaten it myself, I found Mario to be the far better choice on that stage, especially if you're going Statue Leafs. Making the second area and flamebar/donut lifts places more manageable far beats anything Luigi can do over him. I crushed it with him on the first go, but Luigi took longer.

First Area: If you're fast, nothing they do matters.
Second Area: Slipping and dying is the main problem of the stage. Luigi can get to the top of those SMB3 blocks and make things slightly easier, but it's offset by making the brick jumping more twitchy.
Third Area: A trap? Not if you're really fast or jump over the initial Boomerang. That aside, then you just take them out one by one, starting with her. She is irrelevant head-on, especially if you realize you can just dodge four times and jump on her as she comes out of her shell.
Fourth Area: Fuzzies are irrelevant with Statue, as are the flamebars. Bombs can be iffy. Sometimes, they fall all over the place. Sometimes, none at all make it on (I found that setting it up so the first barely doesn't sets you up quite well). Their low blast radius is their ultimate undoing.
Fifth Area: Can be a pain, but the sooner it's done, the better. If you lose your leaf and have a spare, just blow through.
Sixth Area: The only good part about Luigi is that he can render this whole part really irrelevant alone and small. With a leaf, you can just flip off the maze and jump around. Otherwise, you can flip it off anyway if you're at least big.
Seventh Area: lol
Eighth Area: Insert generic flag-getting strategy here.

Pretty underwhelming if you're not a masochist who tries it without leaves. Even better if you just quit each time so you don't have to keep reobtaining leaves.
---
Do you WANT TO get banned? - die70sdie, in a suicide topic.
After a date, walk up to her and press L1. - BRIAN11, on how to kiss a girl.
#6RedIsPoeticPosted 5/10/2012 9:18:12 PM
System Error posted...
Well, you are the person who is happy whenever you get a 1UP from a flagpole, so eh.

I like my 1-Ups and my lame ass humour. :D

Even better if you just quit each time so you don't have to keep reobtaining leaves.

MYGOD. Can't believe I didn't consider that. -_- Although that's only if you take damage without dying. If you fall off the edge, you're still going to need to recollect those Statue Leaves.
---
#7System ErrorPosted 5/11/2012 12:02:07 PM(edited)
RedIsPoetic posted...
MYGOD. Can't believe I didn't consider that. -_- Although that's only if you take damage without dying. If you fall off the edge, you're still going to need to recollect those Statue Leaves.

Well, actually, yes and no. I meant if you choose "quit" as in "quit the game and return to the title screen", you'll do simply that and will reload to the point where you still had them, ergo you still do not have to recollect them. For maximum effect, Save and Quit on the crown's level tile on the map, so you don't have to keep running back to it. But if things get screwy but you don't die, exit level does work.
---
Do you WANT TO get banned? - die70sdie, in a suicide topic.
After a date, walk up to her and press L1. - BRIAN11, on how to kiss a girl.
#8RedIsPoeticPosted 5/12/2012 9:34:31 PM
Okies, just added it to the guide. You're naturally receiving credit for it.
---
#9zsabreuserPosted 5/14/2012 8:02:29 AM
The hardest part of the level is the Toad above a block. Took me a while to remember all I had to do is holding jump.
#10Poweranimals(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2012 11:59:01 AM
zsabreuser posted...
The hardest part of the level is the Toad above a block. Took me a while to remember all I had to do is holding jump.

I hated that part. I lost count how many times I slipped off and died during that part.