One of the worst games for telling depth

#1Fish_Soup_64Posted 7/3/2013 7:51:02 AM
I'm sorry Mr. Miyamoto but this game, which was supposed to fix the perception of depth in a Mario game not only doesn't, but actually is one of the worst.
Well first of all the game is fun, no questionm about that but let me explain why I feel like this.

In a 3D Mario game (and let's be honest this is a 3D Mario game) you need camera control. Nintendo have stripped that away and instead given us this forced camera which at times is not helpful and given us only slight camera movement. Now when you think your perfectly libned up for a jump you'll sometimes be behind the platform or infront of it and that leads to a lot of frustrating cheap deathes.

The 3D effect which is supposed to help the problesm can only be used by some people.

Some parts of the game are heavly based around 2D Mario concepts but you've given us a 3D input so sometimes you can fall off ledges when you think your tilting forward perfectly.

It's a good game, but it has it's problems which could have EASILY been fixed
---
PSN: wot_button_is_it
3DS: 5171 9837 9112
#2Q27Posted 7/4/2013 5:28:07 PM
Have you messed around with the 3D settings, by pressing the d-pad up & down?

I definitely preferred one over the other. not sure which.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1203-9330-8848
#3BillysanPosted 7/15/2013 10:07:24 PM
I've never had problems with perspective. And felt like this game had the most flawless 3-D Mario camera yet. There's nothing good about a 3D game where you spend half the play time effort managing the camera.

Try getting use to it. A lot of people got use to lining the camera up and holding straight up to line up jumps in a lot of early 3-D platforms. Now you actually have to have some control over the analog stick.

If you're really having a lot of consistent issue with the depth and perspective maybe it's just the way your brain functions. And this game is sadly not for you.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291
#4NewMoonShadowPosted 7/29/2013 5:45:52 PM
Billysan posted...
I've never had problems with perspective. And felt like this game had the most flawless 3-D Mario camera yet. There's nothing good about a 3D game where you spend half the play time effort managing the camera.

Try getting use to it. A lot of people got use to lining the camera up and holding straight up to line up jumps in a lot of early 3-D platforms. Now you actually have to have some control over the analog stick.

If you're really having a lot of consistent issue with the depth and perspective maybe it's just the way your brain functions. And this game is sadly not for you.

Without the 3D on the game's graphics are simply terrible by design. The game is purposely designed with a flat colorscheme and as few traditional "Depth-telling" techniques as possible for the express purpose of showing off the 3DS' depth-effects, but for someone who can't use the 3D for one reason or another the game becomes an ugly borderline-unplayable mess. Even the camera perspectives are frequently forced not to promote optimal Gameplay angles, but rather to show off objects in relative 3D space. There are even points where objects in the foreground will be the exact same size and position as the objects in the background. Again, these parts are meant to showcase the system's 3D effect, but with the 3D off they look TERRIBLE.

And frankly this kind of crap is why I have no hope for 3D Land 2... I mean 3D World. Sure they gave the graphics shading so they don't look so terrible, but from Gameplay videos, the terrible perspective hasn't been fixed. Demos of normal people playing the game are punctuated again and again by people missing the ground and flying off into space unable to tell which way to correct towards to not die.