What has happened with this game?

#1BogePosted 6/13/2012 7:52:50 PM
I played the demo back before it was released and I hated the plan and go system and wish it was more the turn based move one unit at a time type of play. Now I'm hearing about a new tactical mode? What is that exactly? Does the game play like old JA games now? Is it worthy now?
---
Punctuation goes a long way for comprehension.
#2mindlessbitchPosted 6/14/2012 2:58:18 AM
Boge posted...
I played the demo back before it was released and I hated the plan and go system and wish it was more the turn based move one unit at a time type of play. Now I'm hearing about a new tactical mode? What is that exactly? Does the game play like old JA games now? Is it worthy now?

Tactical Mode just allows for Fog of War to be enabled, still not a Jagged Alliance game. Two DLC's later and a stand-alone expansion to be released soon, it also doesn't look like bitcomposer is ready to let the IP go to someone else that might take it seriously...

For now it looks like the Jagged Alliance franchise is dead...
#3Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2012 8:49:31 AM
Damn. I loved JA2 and was really looking forward to a new game...been waiting on these for years now.
---
Punctuation goes a long way for comprehension.
#4ThingsFallApartPosted 6/15/2012 8:00:09 AM
It's not FoW, it is LoS. There is no "fog", you can only see what your mercs can see/perceive.

The game is fun, especially with mods, not sure what all the hate is about.
---
www.dowreplays.net
#5moyashi101Posted 6/25/2012 4:52:46 PM
ThingsFallApart posted...
It's not FoW, it is LoS. There is no "fog", you can only see what your mercs can see/perceive.

The game is fun, especially with mods, not sure what all the hate is about.

If you look at it as an independent tactical strategy game, it is a decent game. However, the fact that they slapped the title "Jagged Alliance" on their game, and put minimal effort into things that made the original games great... is what has people upset.

They literally took out many features that were great in the previous games..... things that made Jagged Alliance what it was, and not some other tactical strategy game.

So if you follow the train of thinking to it's logical conclusion, they used the brand name to make money (to sell their own game), but didn't put enough effort to continue the Jagged Alliance franchise "properly".... that is what all the hate is about.

If they had called it something other than "Jagged Alliance" there probably would not be so much hate, in my opinion.
#6olaf73Posted 7/18/2012 7:55:24 AM
So I just got this as part of the Steam sale. I loved the first Jagged Alliance. I loved the expansion and I loved the sequel.

This game is not turn-based, and that sucks, but its still a good game and well worth the $20 I paid for it. Honestly games like it are few and far between, if you like isometric tactical shooters with some rpg elements, what else are you playing?

I will say that I struggled initially. Coming from the old JA games, getting wounded means your merc is like way less effective until he is healed and you basically have to sit him while heals up and his contract is counting down in the meantime. Lets face it that lead to tons of save/reload. In the new game, depending on medical skill and supplies you can heal up all your damage on the battlefield so you can afford a lot more casualties, especially early on when you are going to be financially limited to 1-3 merc most likely.

The other piece I struggled with was the stances...because the more accurate stances, crouch and prone, impose time penalties for aiming it makes the other two stances, weapon ready (walk) and run more attractive options in many situations, despite accuracy penalties.

Finally, the pausable orders interface, again while not TB, is pretty flexible, intuitive and in some cases offers greater tactical control than the old JA's straight TB system. The way you can link actions is awesome, if only for ambush purposes its great fun and very rewarding.

If you liked any of the earlier JAs, and have not tried this game, IMO you wont regret dropping $20 on it.
#7goonermxPosted 7/18/2012 2:30:35 PM
This game is not turn-based, and that sucks, but its still a good game and well worth the $20 I paid for it.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty decent at first too. After a couple of weeks playing the game I was considerably less enthusiastic though.
#8olaf73Posted 7/21/2012 8:42:50 PM
goonermx posted...
This game is not turn-based, and that sucks, but its still a good game and well worth the $20 I paid for it.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty decent at first too. After a couple of weeks playing the game I was considerably less enthusiastic though.

Maybe that will happen to me too. But even if it does, the game will have been a good purchase.