I'm a bit confused on Valentine's moral alignment...(possible spoilers)

#41koroko_korobasePosted 5/1/2012 1:27:11 PM
I'm still going with necessary evil. She knows what has to be done and doesn't let emotions get in the way. This is what we call a rational person in the grandest sense of the term. She knows Painwheel has all this potential and wants to push her to get it out, while also saving the world from the tyranny of the skullgirl (who she has now become in order to help Painwheel become strong). But apparently none of this is canon, so we have no idea what her ACTUAL alignment could be.
#42NietzschesFaithPosted 5/1/2012 7:40:44 PM
I sort of like the comparison of her to Ocelot from MGS though not sure how true it is. My guess is that she was in essence professionally disconnected to people hence her ability to take Carol (Painwheel) and do all those things to her. Upon her team being killed and then she was forced to work for the enemy (like Painwheel though Painwheel's family wasn't killed they were taken away) she may have sympathized with Painwheel. At least in her moments after defeating Marie she made perhaps the only wish considered unselfish. By leaving the crypts and disappearing as it seemed to imply she closed all the loose ends in Painwheel's life which was her original purpose to kill the Skullgirl and her new purpose to exact revenge on Valentine.

It seemed by Painwheel ripping off her mask she was perhaps ready to give up on her old life of the hatred filled monster and let it go. Painwheel may not even know Val is the Skullgirl and may just think Marie killed her in which case she is also free of her past. While this may be over thinking it the extreme its a fun thought to think in her fleeting moments of sociopathy and sadism Valentine made the only truely selfless wish of them all.
---
It's true what they say. The grass is always greener, and you really don't know what it is you have, until it's gone... gone... gone - Conker
#43Number4RocketPosted 5/1/2012 10:38:31 PM
This thread was filled with so many morons...
#44Number4RocketPosted 5/1/2012 10:39:24 PM
And Hitler injected God into government. Lollerblades.
#45abyssPosted 5/2/2012 12:12:53 AM
Oh look, it's this theory again.

I don't know how much you know about ninjas, but I don't think they're "Anything to complete the mission" types, any more than regular soldiers. Please stop saying this. Where are you even getting this from?

Well, it's obviously pretty touch to distinguish between 'real' Ninjas and 'fiction' Ninjas, but it doesn't really matter - no one's claiming Valentine is based off of real Ninjas.

Anyway it's a pretty common depiction of ninjas they are willing to do immoral things to achieve their mission And that they are regularly shown as being devoted to a cause or person, and willing to to do 'bad stuff' (whether it be espionage, murder or whatever) in their name. AKA 'Doing what needs to be done'. So what exactly is the issue here?
#46OrangeWizardPosted 5/2/2012 12:45:01 AM

Anyway it's a pretty common depiction of ninjas they are willing to do immoral things to achieve their mission And that they are regularly shown as being devoted to a cause or person,

The second part of this clause is the only thing I agree with.

Sure, they give their life to the Shogun like all the other samurai, but ninjas are not inherently bad people or anything. They're just like Samurai, only they spy, according to media.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#47BashamoPosted 5/2/2012 7:53:10 AM
ITT: GameFAQs takes on the controversial topic of meta-ethics. Will they succeed? Or will the result be a disaster?
---
Got proof?
#48DiscoSharkPosted 5/2/2012 8:09:42 AM
I'm reminded why these forums more or less suck by the discussion going on in this thread. Some choice quotes.

"Everyone has their predetermined time to die, so maybe you're just fulfilling that function at that moment."

"I have no problem with deliberate killing, it serves a purpose. "

"Although for Atheism this makes perfect sense since they're entire spiel is basically that the universe created itself out of nothing, and that life spawned itself out of inanimate goop, so there's no reason for any morals whatsoever, if you want to go out and murder a few random people then who can stop you? "

There's stupid, and then there's this. This is just scary.
#49OrangeWizardPosted 5/2/2012 10:46:38 AM
These guys would get laughed out of the religion and philosophy board.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#50RedMage NicoPosted 5/2/2012 11:04:43 AM
Does she really need to have an entirely consistent character? As long as everything is explained and makes sense, her actions don't need to be purely good or bad. :P
---
Why are Red Mages so red?