Is there literally no low level play online?

#1s0nicfanPosted 4/15/2012 7:18:06 PM
I love fighting games, but I'm not particularly great at them. However, nor am I particularly BAD, and with any given game, I usually can carve myself out a nice spot somewhere in the middle where I find good matches but could never win a tournament.

However, with Skullgirls, I feel like there's no one else at that level. I've played maybe 30-40 matches over the past 2 days (US-east), and outside of maybe 1 other match EVERYONE had their act together. They had the combos down, they had their assists perfect (if they were using one), and if they wanted to any combo would end with a super. It's only been a few days, but I already feel like the only people online are the people getting prepped for tournaments.

It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any real matchmaking in ranked other than ping, so I tend to see a lot of repeat matches against people I know are going to absolutely destroy me. I'm obviously going to keep practicing, but are there really no other "noobs" online like me? It's frustrating, to say the least
---
"History Is Much Like An Endless Waltz. The Three Beats Of War, Peace And Revolution Continue On Forever." - Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
#2Daniel_MakuPosted 4/15/2012 7:26:28 PM
It's hard to say. Skullgirls was created for high-level tournament play, so it stands to reason that most of the playerbase would be high-level players... :P
#3LLink2411Posted 4/15/2012 7:36:19 PM
It is an indie game solely marketed towards hardcore fighting game fans (it has a big following on srk.com), with an art style that turns off many people but a very specific portion of the gaming population.

Basically, it is just too niche and too purposely/purposefully silly (it is both simultaneously making fun of fanservice in fighting games and perfecting it) to be considered by the average passerby.
---
This is the internet, we have millions of people taking out their problems, inadequacies, and hang-ups on others anonymously... like a digitized stress-ball.
#4cms6cPosted 4/15/2012 8:01:30 PM
spend more time in practice room! arcade mode is a nice way to practice too, since the AI in this game actually knows how to play.
---
UMvC3: Skrull/Dormammu/Wesker; SSFIVAE2012: Chun Li; SFxT: Juri/Asuka; Skullgirls: Ms. Fortune/Cerebella
XBL GT: GyudonKiller
#5wemibelec90Posted 4/15/2012 9:35:04 PM
Find people on here at your skill level to play with, I guess? That seems to be the thing that is suggested if online is too rough for you at first. A bit more work but with some luck, you could find much more fair competition that actually teaches you something.
#6Grad212Posted 4/15/2012 9:57:01 PM
Wow I know what you mean. Skullgirls is my first 2D fighter I've gotten into since I stuck with 3D fighters and I got wrecked online. I get 2 characters knocked out while I only take off maybe 10% of the other guys bar. Real demoralizing since it seems they can block everything in the world while I can block hardly anything and combo for more than half my health. :(
#7OmegaFlare18Posted 4/16/2012 12:54:19 AM
since the AI in this game actually knows how to play.

a bit too well if you ask me
---
PSN: MachineHero09
Gamertag: Mystyr E
#8cms6cPosted 4/16/2012 4:26:56 AM
OmegaFlare18 posted...
since the AI in this game actually knows how to play.

a bit too well if you ask me

i don't think so. it knows combos and what's punishable but that's about it. it kinda lacks in the mix-up department.
---
UMvC3: Skrull/Dormammu/Wesker; SSFIVAE2012: Chun Li; SFxT: Juri/Asuka; Skullgirls: Ms. Fortune/Cerebella
XBL GT: GyudonKiller
#9Stillwind04Posted 4/16/2012 9:11:57 AM
Play in unranked rooms... practice practice practice.
#10TroutYogurtPosted 4/16/2012 9:14:42 AM
I'm not good at fighting games (mainly played some MvC3, played a lot of Soul Calibur when I was younger but had no idea what was going on) and I've had some pretty close fights. I've been pretty handily outclassed most of the time, but there are some around my level on there.
So there are some fellow newbies around; we're just at the mercy of the matchmaking algorithm.
---
"It is humanly impossible to not watch an explosion." - Artemis Fowl