This game is too off-putting for noobs.

#1Dr WhoopassPosted 4/17/2012 7:39:24 PM
I've been playing fighting games for 20 years, but I am not a combo machine. This game makes me beg for a combo breaker. No movelists, no decent training or character challenges, and no combo breakers makes it impossible to learn. I learn nothing when a Painwheel annihilates me with endless combos online.

Then I try Painwheel in story, and my first opponent is Peacock. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A NOOB. I cannot get through the bullet hell no matter what I do. Again, I learn nothing because I am just stomped. I will never beat the Story with Parasoul or Painwheel, so I will never get to see Valentine's story.

I understand they made this to cater to the hardcore, but there should not be a massive barrier to entry for rookies. Sink or swim is just too brutal for those of us with little free time.
---
XBL: Bitter Kevin
#2adept89Posted 4/17/2012 7:41:51 PM(edited)
Try getting in with Flight and abusing 236LP+MP. Low hits like c.MK into c.HK seem to work well too. Also, you do have a very useful command grab with decent range.

If all else fails you could look up Valentine's story on Youtube.
---
Heavypress.
Troopers should deal fall damage to the ground. - Voidgolem
#3Dr Whoopass(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2012 7:43:09 PM
If I lower the difficulty, will it still unlock? I usually don't give up so easily but I am so enraged I may never play this again. :(
---
#4adept89Posted 4/17/2012 7:45:39 PM
Dr Whoopass posted...
If I lower the difficulty, will it still unlock? I usually don't give up so easily but I am so enraged I may never play this again. :(

I believe so. Also, this game's AI is psychic at times. Its hit-confirms are well-executed and it's easy for Peacock or Double to faceroll human players of low to moderate skill. I also don't feel that Painwheel was intended to be played solo, so there's that too.
---
Heavypress.
Troopers should deal fall damage to the ground. - Voidgolem
#5DegalonPosted 4/17/2012 7:46:00 PM
Dr Whoopass posted...
I've been playing fighting games for 20 years, but I am not a combo machine. This game makes me beg for a combo breaker. No movelists, no decent training or character challenges, and no combo breakers makes it impossible to learn. I learn nothing when a Painwheel annihilates me with endless combos online.

Then I try Painwheel in story, and my first opponent is Peacock. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A NOOB. I cannot get through the bullet hell no matter what I do. Again, I learn nothing because I am just stomped. I will never beat the Story with Parasoul or Painwheel, so I will never get to see Valentine's story.

I understand they made this to cater to the hardcore, but there should not be a massive barrier to entry for rookies. Sink or swim is just too brutal for those of us with little free time.

Granted, I only have the demo, but Cerebella seems pretty beginner friendly. Now, I can't play Filia to save my life, but Cerebella? Cakewalk to solo the arcade mode with just her.

I did have to look up her moves, but there's no real need to know any combos with her. Just grapple, grapple. Grapple!
---
GT: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#6Dr Whoopass(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2012 7:51:30 PM
Cerebella's my favorite, Fillia is meh, and I beat it tonight with Miss Fortune. But unlike SF, I don't see myself beating the game with the full roster. Since everyone is so wildly divergent from each other (the zoner is a ZONER, brawler a BRAWLER, grappler a GRAPPLER, etc), it's hard as hell to figure them out. I can't grasp Painwheel for the life of me. Parasoul i get, but I lack the patience to use effectively. And I'm the kind of guy who's been beating fighting games with every character since SF, MvC, KOF, etc etc :(
---
#7SuperAppleDudePosted 4/18/2012 4:36:54 AM
Personally I am quite the beginner at fighter games, heck even when I first started this game with the demo I was all kinds of terrible. However thankfully due to the tutorials I am actually starting to get decent at the game, and honestly I now have a better sense of what to do when I play other fighting games now. Really I feel that Skullgirls is really an easy fighting game to get into as for once I have a sense of what I am actually doing, though I do know that not everybody has had the same experience as me and are still struggling quite a bit.

I think in order to get some decent practice with a character it is good to do an 1 character arcade mode on sleepwalker difficulty and figure out what each characters normals do from the ground, ducking, and in the air. Then it is good to figure out what special moves and blockbusters they can do which could be done via trial and error or simply look at a movelist. I find this a good time to figure out what you can do with a character, and honestly because in my opinion the computer is not too bright on sleepwalker and most of the foes you will be facing will be in pairs in twos or threes that hardly use their assists so it is like you are fighting characters with lower hp which make for decent fights. I would always play arcade mode to practice on a character first then go on to try story mode with them once I got a somewhat good idea on how their moves worked.

Painwheel is actually a character I was able to grasp quite well and I am currently trying to get better with her. Charging up some of her normal moves are great for absorbing hits as they have something similar to super-armor and I would say using her Buer Reaper (Quater-circle forward) works well with many of her combos to get some extra damage at the end. Her grab is also great for starting up combos. Charging up her jumping hard punch can make for a decent way to jump over and travel far through a few projectiles to get closer to your opponent as while charging you can hopefully absorb some flying projectiles safely. Using her flight also helps with her mobility. Once you're close to a character like Peacock I would say just be patience in terms of taking her down if you still aren't well trained with Painwheel. I know in the end what I say might not be able to help too much as it could be hard to follow on what the advice says exactly, but those are just a few tips I would give to play Painwheel possibly better. Hope that I was able to possibly help out somewhat.
#8Dr Whoopass(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2012 11:26:10 AM
Thanks for the info! once I put the game on easy I was able to beat it with her, and get a better grasp of her usage as well. I was just cranky when I wrote this :)
---
#9flairePosted 4/18/2012 2:27:45 PM
it does need an easy combo breaker that uses some of your bar
---
So many games......So little time.......
#10appleturnover87Posted 4/18/2012 2:59:39 PM
There is an alpha counter but it's an assist mechanic so you need at least a team of two. And it costs a bar.
---
What's love got to do, got to do with it?