Do you need an EA account to play online?

#1denitonisPosted 7/11/2011 2:55:19 PM
Just discovered that in Dante's Inferno you're not able to play online in the Trials of St. Lucia if you don't connect your gamertag to an EA account, so I decided not to buy it.
I also remember a long time ago when Bad Company came out and I wanted to try out the demo I was also forced to sign up for an EA account, at the time I though it was because of the demo, but now I'm starting to think that is not the case.

So my question is, do they force me to create an EA account to play online?
Was this the case with both the Bad Company games?
It's fine if it's an option to get extra stuff like is done with Ubisoft games because I can choose to not download a particular small part of a game or in the case of Mass Effect 2 set up a dummy to download the extra stuff, since it's an extra but in a game as Battlefield it's a integral part of why you buy the game.

So can anybody answer my question since it will determine if I will even bother with this game.
---
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
#2Orange_ApplePosted 7/11/2011 2:58:26 PM
No.
---
Yes but GT accurately portrays a driving experience as does BF a real battlefield. -seh6183
#3GimarkPosted 7/11/2011 4:38:02 PM
Im just curious why is an ea account a problem.
---
How are you significant you are just words on my computer screen.
#4denitonis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 3:55:55 AM
It;s not a problem and if you choose to connect your gamertag to an EA profile that is your choise, which is the important thing I want to have the choise.
First of all I want to read through the Terms and all the other legal crap they have in place that you have to confirm before continueing, you're not going to do that when you just bought the game and want to play online.
I don't want to sign up so EA can have there users registered just for the sake of... well whatever they use it for.

Second I don't want to have another useless account that I'm not using, as well as have everything connected to my gamertag.
I know anybody's life is far from private but there's another thing in just giving everything away and the more you link to your gamertag the beter it is to get info from.

In a bit more conspiracy way of thinking the recent hack in PSN and various other gamesite should make you realize that the more you connect your profiles the easier it is to hack your gamertag, if you find.

So basically I don't mind if I choose to be an active member of something but I know I'm not going to do anything with it and as such don't want to be strongarmed into signing up for something that I'm not going to use and even might forget I have.
---
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
#5denitonis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 4:02:22 AM
Sorry to double post but I somehow wrote the previous post in one go and the structure and flow is all over the place.
The context is still there but as I'm not a native English speaker translating sentences in your head usually don't work 1-on1 and I should have proofread it, because I could have made it a bit better.
So if it's hard to read sorry for the mess.
---
#6XDragoonXxPosted 7/13/2011 7:00:12 AM
So you're not signing up just because you want to "choose" to sign up?
LOL. Your loss.
#7skylinefreekPosted 7/13/2011 7:36:11 AM
Dont be so paranoid its not healthy
---
xbox gt: sinlessorrow
psn: sinlessorrow mgo: SinlesSorrow
#8Gryph-tkPosted 7/13/2011 9:53:59 AM
They haven't announced it officially but you will probably need an EA account to use the battle log but again that's just speculation. On a separate note you should really calm down about this stuff, Sony getting hacked shouldn't be putting you on edge about linking your gamertag with your EA account.
#9denitonis(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2011 11:50:43 AM
Thank you Gryph-tk for adding that, at least I will know or have a good idea what the addition of the EA-account could be for.
I probably won't get anything out of that, I usually look at the story first in a game and multiplayer second as an afterthought, sure there are a few that can be a bit of fun but I'm just not much of an adversarial gamer, do love me some co-op though.

And yes XDragoonXx I think choise is the most important aspect and it won't be my lose since ther are many good games out there that are released that will give me a choise in the matter, I also have quite the backlog to actually go through so I'm not to bothered with postponing or canceling buying a game I'm interested in.

Don't worry skylinefreek I get enough exercise cycling to work everyday and practicing martial arts 2 times a week will probably keep compansate for the adverse effect that the paranoid might have.

Well that's it thank you all for your input and maybe I'll catch ya guys online...
---