Sequence 7: Burning the ships, optional objectives

#1ProfessorKazukiPosted 11/2/2012 12:03:46 PM
Is there any good and reliable way of doing this? After about 2 hours of retrying, I've developed somewhat of a scheme to tackle the optional objectives, which are:

- Air assassinate a grenadier
- Remain undetected while on the ships

Starting out, I head for the ship on the right first. I wait for the 2 grenadiers' paths to line up such that they won't have sight on me, then I go in, plant the bomb, and dive off the ship.

Then I head for the other ship. First, I take out the guy patrolling with the backpack from the side of the ship. Then, I head for the back of the ship where one redcoat patrols in a circular path. I wait for his path to align with the grenadier so that I can hide behind the boxes and corner assassinate him.

Here's where I get stuck. I now have 1 grenadier patrolling the ship and 3 regular redcoats at the front of the ship. I've found that I can air assassinate the grenadier by climbing up the back mast and waiting for him to come to me. Then if I assassinate him at the right time, it will be exactly behind the boxes so I won't get detected. However, this doesn't always work. Seems to be 50/50. If it does work, I can then assassinate one of the 3 at the front by hanging off the bow (it seems impossible to do without killing the grenadier first) and then double air assassinating the last 2 so that I can plant the bomb and get the hell out.

Anyone actually finish this with the optional objectives? If so, how'd you do it?
#2nwtnsbstrdsonPosted 11/2/2012 12:05:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3ProfessorKazuki(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2012 12:15:43 PM
I tried doing that, but it seems to me like you can't use the assassins. I've recruited all 3 from Boston, but when I target someone and press L2, I only get the buzzer sound effect as if I can't use it. Also, the icon is greyed out. And no, they're not on contracts at the moment.

At any rate, I finally got it, but I think I lucked out. On the second ship, I kill them in this order:

- Redcoat patrolling with backpack
- Redcoat in front of the ship behind the other 2 redcoats [waited until I completely lost sight of the grenadier]
- Redcoat in the back of the ship patrolling in a circle

At this point I climbed the back mast to air assassinate the grenadier and I noticed that for whatever reason the remaining 2 redcoats at the front of the ship had disappeared, so the grenadier was now the only one remaining. Air assassinated him and planted the bomb. Mission accomplished.
#4LazyKennyPosted 11/2/2012 12:21:43 PM
How I did this (did not use assassin recruits)

At the Grenadier ship, climb to the left and ledge assassinate the redcoat standing there. You should not get caught. Make my way to the center of the ship and ledge assassinate the patrolling redcoat. Climb up onto the ship, go to the stern, and assassinate the one redcoat there. Jump off the ship.

Now climb back up on the ship, wait for the grenadier to go out of view, and dual assassinate the two redcoats standing at the bow. Jump off the ship one more time, climb back up. Now wait for the grenadier that's standing still to start moving, climb up onto the ship's railing behind him, and you'll get your air assassinate.

If you leave ANYONE alive, you will get caught as soon as you do your air assassinate.

As for the second ship, ledge assassinate one of the patrolling officers, wait for the other to start walking away, then climb up, plant the bomb, and run.
---
Then I bust out Sudowoodo, and you're like "lol grass" so you try fire BUT IT DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE SUDOWOODO IS A ****ING ROCK!
#5teddifiedPosted 11/2/2012 2:39:07 PM
I found that killing some that walk then climbing up a mast to take the others out with Bow and poison darts works well.
---
The Terror of Death.....
PSN - Teddified
#6memtndudePosted 11/3/2012 7:03:47 PM
LazyKenny posted...
How I did this (did not use assassin recruits)

At the Grenadier ship, climb to the left and ledge assassinate the redcoat standing there. You should not get caught. Make my way to the center of the ship and ledge assassinate the patrolling redcoat. Climb up onto the ship, go to the stern, and assassinate the one redcoat there. Jump off the ship.

Now climb back up on the ship, wait for the grenadier to go out of view, and dual assassinate the two redcoats standing at the bow. Jump off the ship one more time, climb back up. Now wait for the grenadier that's standing still to start moving, climb up onto the ship's railing behind him, and you'll get your air assassinate.

If you leave ANYONE alive, you will get caught as soon as you do your air assassinate.

As for the second ship, ledge assassinate one of the patrolling officers, wait for the other to start walking away, then climb up, plant the bomb, and run.

I went to the right first, just ran into the middle in between the two officers and planted the bomb then ran off the same side of the ship. Went to the grenadier ship, killed the guy on the front of the ship by himself from the ledge. Went to the middle and ledge killed the guy that stands by the break in the railing, then killed the guy in the very back and jumped off again (because the grenadier saw me and I didn't want to get discovered all of the way). I swam to the front, climbed up on the mast, shot the front two with arrows then air assassinated the grenadier. Took like an hour and a half of trying different things.
#7sirfailalotPosted 11/3/2012 9:39:48 PM
The only way I found to do this involves a pair of poison darts and some waiting.

-Left ship, approach from the left as the right has a good chance of getting you seen.

Left ship there are three you can ledge grab with no fear. The redcoat patrolling the mid (Not the Gren, you need him alive.) You just wait for the grenadier to face another direction when he's beside the gap on the side facing away from the port. grab him.

After him you can go toward the back of the ship and carefully make your way on as the officer walks to the other side of the boxes (Make sure the Gren isn't patrolling in your direction as you head to the back of the boxes.) Once the Gren is walking away toward the front (this can get messy. Basically as long as he isn't RIGHT THERE as the officer hits the wheel you should be fine.) Whistle and corner kill the officer. If the gren does notice you it shouldn't immediately count you as seen as long as he was far enough away. just jump off the back of the ship and hop into the water.

After that there's a single redcoat at the front of the ship away from two others. Ledge kill, then dart one of the other two, Hop into the water FAST so you don't get seen, then once he resets proceed to stealth kill him. After those are gone the Gren will be all alone, climb the mast in the back as he walks away and air assassinate him, then light the box up.

-right side ship, approach from the side away from the port.

This one is FAR easier than it looks. Basically you have a TON of guards, all seem to be watching someone elses back. Basically, you wait for the officer in the back to begin to patrol away and the one patrolling the middle of the ship to go around some crates. Hop up and as he comes around (you have to be VERY fast, he's going to notice but not ID you immediately, it won't count against you.) Dart him and IMMEDIATELY hop into the water as the others will investigate his ranting.

Once they've all reset, wait for the officer in the back to begin patrolling away and just walk right on up to the explosive, set it, and dive back off in the direction you came from. It'll kill everyone, after that you just climb the tallest mast and place the flag.
#8Soccerelite08Posted 11/3/2012 10:43:04 PM(edited)
Anyone run into the issue of the air assassinate not registering? I killed everyone on the ship except one grenadier. However, when I air assassinated the grenadier I didn't get credit for it. I even air assassinated him without worrying about detection, still nothing.

EDIT: NVM, I'm an idiot.
---
"Phoenix Wright once exorcised a ghost by objecting, and then objected so hard he made the prosecutor bleed out of his eyes." - Psycho Kirby
#9JaNcE22Posted 11/3/2012 9:59:39 PM
Left ship: Climb from the back. Grab the ledge where one of the guys chill with his back towards you, kill him. Now move onto the back of the ship, on the side of the ship not on top (to the right) climb when the redcoat is in front of the rudder, get behind the boxes, lean and whistle (whilst making sure the grenadier won't hear). Kill when redcoat takes the bait. Wait for the grenadier to be on the right side of the ship. Walk towards lonely redcoat at the front left till he get's a red arrow. Once spotted, go to boxes then do whistle again, while again making sure grenadier won't hear, kill redcoat. Left side of the ship should be completely empty now. Wait for grenadier to be in the right side of the ship. Climb mast from the rear of the ship close to the boxes where you killed the two redcoats. Now get to the front and bow the two redcoats on the right side. Now it should be just you and the grenadier. Stay atop and air assassinate. Plant fuse on the bomb, jump off.

Right ship: Climb from the rear. Wait until moving redcoat on right side (MRR) is not insight. While making sure patrolling redcoat on left side (PRL) is behind rudder. When MRR is out of sight and PRL is right behind the rudder, sprint to the powder kegs and plant fuse. Make sure you watch the redcoats patterns.

Only make sure to make the moves I said when you are confident, now this isn't the only way to do it. This is how I did it though. Hopefully this helps.
---
psn: Said-ric.
#10JolteonPosted 11/4/2012 10:40:38 PM
I just did this tonight, and after a couple of very frustrating missteps, here is what I found to be the simplest and safest method (note that I'm playing on the 360, but I don't see any reason to assume it would play out differently on the PS3):

Head to the ship on the right (the one without grenadiers on it), and approach from the side of the ship where the canons aren't firing. Wait for a surveillance gap and then QUICKLY climb up and run to the spot where you plant a charge to ignite the powder. As soon as you get there, drop a smoke bomb, and then immediately set the charge. If you timed everything correctly, you should be able to leap from the ship before being fully spotted. Once the charges detonate, climb back up and loot the corpses for arrows (unless you already have a full inventory, in which case whatever).

Head to the remaining ship, make the same general approach, except this time there should be a guard whose routine causes him to stop at a gap in the side of the ship. Pull him off the ship (make sure the grenadier isn't watching). Then once again wait until a gap in surveillance, and quickly start climbing the mainmast. The soldiers might start to get suspicious, but as long as you keep climbing, you'll get out of range in time. At this point, take out your bow-and-arrow, and start picking off all of the soldiers one by one. You'll be too high for them to see you, but still low enough that you can use manual aim to take the shots. You may have to move to the foremast or mizzen if the AI decides to be a jerk about where the soldiers stop, but it shouldn't take too long to get them all. Once the grenadier is the only one remaining, air assassinate him, ignite the powder, jump off, jump back on, replace the flag, and huzzah!

Definitely the toughest full synchro I've done so far, but once I realized how simple it was to take out the first ship, it took no time at all.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?