A trick to exposing powder kegs on frigates/man-o-wars?

#1MadigariPosted 11/6/2012 9:53:05 PM
I'm on that mission where you're supposed to blow up two frigates and a man-o-war with the optional objective of using the powder kegs to blow them up.

However, I keep winding up sinking them before I ever see the weak spot appear, and I'm aiming at the front of the ship. Any suggestions to get the kegs exposed better? I'm using Round Shot; is there a better ammo to expose the kegs?
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my originality the most.
#2RycyynPosted 11/6/2012 9:57:26 PM
Try the fire shot or whatever it's calls. It seems like most of the powder kegs show up after a broad side shot, which against a man-o-war can be dangerous as all hell.
---
--
And the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. (This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door-to-door salesmen.)-Good Omens
#3True RunePosted 11/6/2012 9:58:55 PM
Chain Shot, then position yourself directly infront of them, then aim so that only a portion of your shots hit their bow(the front).(round shot works well enough()

or you can try ramming them after the Chain Shot.
---
It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed humans by the THOUSANDS!!! Look at me!!! I am sublime!! I am the TRUE face of evil!!!
#4Madigari(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2012 10:19:45 PM
True Rune posted...
Chain Shot, then position yourself directly infront of them, then aim so that only a portion of your shots hit their bow(the front).(round shot works well enough()

This is kind of helping, but ramming the frigates is instantly killing them. So I tried it with round shot, where I'm aiming straight at their front (I.E., the bow is directly pointed at me), and it sunk them before it ever exposed the kegs.
---
#5True RunePosted 11/6/2012 10:23:32 PM
Madigari posted...
True Rune posted...

This is kind of helping, but ramming the frigates is instantly killing them. So I tried it with round shot, where I'm aiming straight at their front (I.E., the bow is directly pointed at me), and it sunk them before it ever exposed the kegs.

ok, directly infront was bad advice...kind of angled infront, and aim so only a portion of your shots hit the bow(so the white aiming line is barely on them)
---
It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed humans by the THOUSANDS!!! Look at me!!! I am sublime!! I am the TRUE face of evil!!!
#6_Dura_Posted 11/6/2012 10:34:48 PM
It should only take one broadside if you aim it right. Any more than that and you risk sinking them.
---
PSN: Duragon_Mikado
kabuki....isnt that were you ...you know...on the girl? - CrusaderZeRo
#7SasquatchMcJiggPosted 11/6/2012 10:39:16 PM
I got really lucky for this one:

I rammed full speed into the bow of the man-o-war, which exposed the powder.
Then as I was coming around to try and get at the frigates, I watched as they slammed their bows into each other head on, which exposed both of their powder rooms.

Two swivel shots later and I was all done!!

Probably will never happen again though....
#8DtokPosted 11/7/2012 12:03:44 AM
100% Method of exposing the explosive barrels

First, upgrade your ramming power for your ship
Second, when you engage the men-o-wars equip chain shot and shoot down their sails.
Finally with an immobile man-o-war, ram the very front tip of their ship at half sail.

This will expose their explosive barrel 100% of the time.
---
Mr. Fortune Calculator.
PSN: DToNE7
#9Madigari(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 12:16:03 AM
Dtok posted...

Second, when you engage the men-o-wars equip chain shot and shoot down their sails.
Finally with an immobile man-o-war, ram the very front tip of their ship at half sail.

That works for the Man-O-War, but not the frigates. Usually, I kill them in a single ram if I try that, even at half-mast.
---
#10DtokPosted 11/7/2012 12:24:55 AM
Madigari posted...
Dtok posted...

That works for the Man-O-War, but not the frigates. Usually, I kill them in a single ram if I try that, even at half-mast.

That's sort of impossible unless you shot them with something other than Chain Shot. I've used this method on ALL missions that involve bigger ships you can't kill with 1 or 2 Swivel Shots.
---
Mr. Fortune Calculator.
PSN: DToNE7