Does anyone else feel like the technology has gone backwards? (spoilers kind of)

#1myklkleinPosted 11/7/2012 9:27:22 PM
(technical 80/80)

Playing as connor, you have this single pistol, which takes about two hours to reload, a classic bow that doesn't always kill things, and can even miss/bounce off people, (I stopped using it at all after the first half of the game; there's no stealth when you go to kill a guard and an arrow bounces off his nose) and you lose the extra things like bombs, poison blade, and the Assassin classic, throwing knives!

I know that the initial excuse is, well he's part native, so of course he would use a bow and not a crossbow, etc., but why could he not learn? I doubt he was an expert with hidden blades or even swords all his life, but as soon as he gets them he can use them just fine.
I was just a little disappointed in the less variety in this game for combat, especially with the over-simplified combat wheel now having to take a few seconds to load.

Anyone else annoyed that they regressed the technology in this game?
---
SC2:WOL --> Visarionovik 941
League of Legends & Battlefield 3 --> Visarionovik
#2notedeathPosted 11/7/2012 9:29:11 PM
They made it more realistic is what you're trying to say.
---
GameFAQ's logic: Not answering someone's question directly = being a jerk.
#3myklklein(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 9:32:21 PM
Things like the crossbow and throwing knives weren't unrealistic, and the bomb system gave a nice variety, too.
---
#4riouken1234Posted 11/7/2012 9:33:01 PM
I love the new approach to the weapon system. By the time Brotherhood came around, it was easy street. Use your 1 hit killing, super speedy crossbows on the roof and you are away. For a while in AC3, you ar elimited to 8 bow shots, and they aren't guaranteed. Poison darts are also limited and require tactical uses to make them worthwhile.

The hidden gun is a slight disappointment. I rarely used it, but I loved seeing it during combat. Still, dual pistols is pretty awesome in AC3. Overall, I think Connor has the coolest fighting style. Brutally efficient.
#5DrunkBeardGuyPosted 11/7/2012 9:35:17 PM
myklklein posted...
Things like the crossbow and throwing knives weren't unrealistic, and the bomb system gave a nice variety, too.

Those were used in a time period with buildings higher than ten foot. This game is all about the wilderness. Why throw a knife when you can rope dart? Why use bombs when you can tomahawk to the face?
---
Beardy
Outlaws to the end
#6ry_mannPosted 11/7/2012 9:38:21 PM(edited)
Well, to be fair regarding Connor's ability with the hidden blade and swords, there are several time lapses in the game so it could easily be chalked up to the fact that he was trained during those missing points. AC2 did this (sort of) though we caught glimpses of each part of time.

Granted, it would be cool if there was a skill system akin to typical RPG games (Oblivion, Skyrim, etc) in which you can invest skill points/experience into certain skills and not only gain benefits such as counter kills, etc, but see the animations visually change (kills become more stylish/brutal, etc). You do need to consider that Ubisoft did have time and technological constraints they had to work with. At least with AC3 they have a good foundation with the new engine that they can keep adding new stuff as they make new titles.
---
PSN: Ry_mann88 xFire: ithinkipooped
www.clanbotc.com
#7myklklein(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 9:41:22 PM
Because connor is supposed to be an assassin, not a brute with an axe.
There should be more finesse and subtlety to the combat than brutally beating and stabbing everything in sight.

And to the above poster, while I don't want to game to be too easy, getting to the point in some of the missions where your ability to kill silently is limited to MAYBE 11 kills, and then that's it, is hard on the objectives.
Not to mention, Assassins would be using the best technology available to them, in order to get their jobs done the best, not just the first crap they get their hands on.
---
#8riouken1234Posted 11/7/2012 9:42:06 PM
ry_mann posted...
Well, to be fair regarding Connor's ability with the hidden blade and swords, there are several time lapses in the game so it could easily be chalked up to the fact that he was trained during those missing points. AC2 did this (sort of) though we caught glimpses of each part of time.

Granted, it would be cool if there was a skill system akin to typical RPG games (Oblivion, Skyrim, etc) in which you can invest skill points/experience into certain skills and not only gain benefits such as counter kills, etc, but see the animations visually change (kills become more stylish/brutal, etc). You do need to consider that Ubisoft did have time and technological constraints they had to work with. At least with AC3 they have a good foundation with the new engine that they can keep adding new stuff as they make new titles.

That sounds like an awesome idea. However, rather than a skill tree per se, it might be better and more appropiate for AC to just have your weapons/skills level as you use them (a la Skyrim's weapon foundation). If you use the Tomohawk repeatedly, Connor gradually improves and you gradually gain new abilities specifically to it.

Honestly, the combat was getting so addictive in AC3, I had to force myself from rushing into a group of 20 guys .
#9giled_tolgraPosted 11/7/2012 9:45:09 PM
Nope, they are just balanced.

I never had an arrow bounce off an enemy though.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=Windsupernova
Play Whatever. No fanboyism. PW.President of the Biased club
#10DrunkBeardGuyPosted 11/7/2012 9:47:03 PM
myklklein posted...
Because connor is supposed to be an assassin, not a brute with an axe.

He is a brute with an axe, who happens to be an Assassin. There's no special requirement on how to be an Assassin other than the Creed. The things they took out are either replaced or wouldn't work well with the time.

I couldn't care less about using knives when I have rope darts. They worked for Altair and Ezio, not for Connor.
---
Beardy
Outlaws to the end