Does anyone else feel like the technology has gone backwards? (spoilers kind of)

#11myklklein(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 9:49:02 PM
This is one of the few changes that I don't really like from the original game; It isn't all that realistic to rush into a group of twenty trained soldiers, soldiers armed with GUNS mind you, and expect to kill them all and live.
The only reason you even do live is because they only attack you one at a time, sometimes two. In reality, they'd all turn and shoot you at once, and you'd be Swiss Assassin in no time flat.
At least in AC, getting into a big fight was dangerous, because combat wasn't as easy as just hitting O when the red triangle tells you to, and then your killing style of choice button. It was harder, and usually better to just run, and find a place to hide.

Now, combat isn't something to avoid, and there's hardly a consequence to walking through the city killing every guard you see with impunity.
---
SC2:WOL --> Visarionovik 941
League of Legends & Battlefield 3 --> Visarionovik
#12riouken1234Posted 11/7/2012 9:50:01 PM
myklklein posted...
Because connor is supposed to be an assassin, not a brute with an axe.
There should be more finesse and subtlety to the combat than brutally beating and stabbing everything in sight.

And to the above poster, while I don't want to game to be too easy, getting to the point in some of the missions where your ability to kill silently is limited to MAYBE 11 kills, and then that's it, is hard on the objectives.
Not to mention, Assassins would be using the best technology available to them, in order to get their jobs done the best, not just the first crap they get their hands on.

I can appreciate what you're saying. For me, I was excited to play as a guy who was a hunter first, and an assassin second. I wish those things played a bigger part (the ability to stealth assassinat eyour targets more often, for example_ but I still enjoy it. I like the idea that Connor is applying his knowledge from hunting animals to hunting humans. Using his bows, rope darts, poison and more.

I agree with you on bomb crafting. An element that was not NEEDED to finish Revelations, sure, but an element I enjoyed exploring nonetheless. As a gamer, I like to do the coolest looking things, not neccesarily the most efficient/easiest (running in and getting a killstreak).
#13_Dura_Posted 11/7/2012 9:52:03 PM
myklklein posted...
This is one of the few changes that I don't really like from the original game; It isn't all that realistic to rush into a group of twenty trained soldiers, soldiers armed with GUNS mind you, and expect to kill them all and live.
The only reason you even do live is because they only attack you one at a time, sometimes two. In reality, they'd all turn and shoot you at once, and you'd be Swiss Assassin in no time flat.
At least in AC, getting into a big fight was dangerous, because combat wasn't as easy as just hitting O when the red triangle tells you to, and then your killing style of choice button. It was harder, and usually better to just run, and find a place to hide.

Now, combat isn't something to avoid, and there's hardly a consequence to walking through the city killing every guard you see with impunity.

I agree. Combat should be much harder. Then they can stop having those stupid "Don't be detected" 100% Synch cop-outs and give us a REAL reason to not be detected. Namely being carved into luncheon meat by guards.
---
PSN: Duragon_Mikado
kabuki....isnt that were you ...you know...on the girl? - CrusaderZeRo
#14riddlebox89Posted 11/7/2012 9:59:24 PM
What did you expect? The flintlock pistol or the musket to reload as fast as the hidden gun? Or for Connor to time warp to the future and bring back a 1911?

The purchasable armor is gone because it made the past three games too easy, and covered up your assassin robes so much they looked like crap.

The throwing knives are gone because there is no place for them here.

The crossbow is gone because it wasn't used during the time period, as pistols took the place of the crossbow.

You still have the poison darts, the poison blade is gone because it was pointless as you could sneak up to someone and poison them and you'd be instantly discovered, poison darts are much better.

Bombs are gone because the concept of a Native running around with three different bomb types is just silly.

The flintlock pistol and musket take so long to reload because that's how they are, which is the same reason there haven't been many (or any at all) Civil War era FPS games because literally half the game would be reloading.

No, Connor was not an expert with hidden blades or swords, but he was more than likely trained by Achilles before actually getting the blades for himself, why would you give someone a weapon and not teach them how it's used first? And why wouldn't Achilles have trained Connor with swords?
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#15giled_tolgraPosted 11/7/2012 10:03:57 PM
myklklein posted...

Weren´t Flintlock muskets terribly inaccurate and unwieldy? I guess I do find it understandable that they just can´t shoot you if you are up close and personal.

But I agree that they made enemies too weak so there is no reason to be stealthy most of the time.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=Windsupernova
Play Whatever. No fanboyism. PW.President of the Biased club
#16SCGhost2424Posted 11/7/2012 10:17:48 PM(edited)
totally agree. lets forget about weapons for a sec and think about things like the parachute that Ezio used so much, or the flying machine (which the game crashed into the lake).... i could go on but u guys get the idea. for a game made after all those tools were implemented in AC history AND this game takes places years and years after that, connor should've had like an improved version of Ezio stuff. my 2 cents on the topic...
#17DrunkBeardGuyPosted 11/7/2012 10:21:55 PM
Definitely!

Connor should have had a glide suit and airplane, I mean why the hell not? Besides the fact that there are literally no buildings tall enough to use the flying machine and parachutes on, let's throw them in there!
---
Beardy
Outlaws to the end
#18LuigiohPosted 11/7/2012 10:23:00 PM
I'm not sure if it's just because I took a break from the series in between brotherhood and AC3, but I actually find the combat to be a little bit more challenging this time around. That is to say, I actually die if I make some wrong moves while fighting a group of guards. I like the fact that you can only do certain counter moves to certain enemies too. i.e. you must disarm the large axe dudes, while you must counter kill the hatchet and dagger wielders. Normal poorly trained guards can be countered by either move. It's always the big guys I have to watch out for.

Also, I'm kind of glad that the enemies now actually can hit you with their guns, lol.
---
Yes I'm bitter.
#19MoooglemanPosted 11/7/2012 10:30:00 PM(edited)
AC1's combat was just as easy if not easier. Replaying it now some one said it's not just hit o. It's hold r1 wait till they attack hit square instant kill or worst case you throw them to the ground which you can then kill them or if surrounded just wait and keep countering. I haven't died once from fighting (you sure can't fall as far) I think countering is easier though counter kill ALWAYS works no guards block your counter.

As for the variety I think getting rid of throwing knives was silly but the rope dart was awesome. I love lynching people in the trees.

Buildings are too low for parachutes even to deploy desmond used one but that was it. I miss the higher buildings alot. Also I miss the marionette system. In replaying 1 it's like woah. Hold circle to push people away to get through crowds. It's just neat hold x to bend etc. I liked each button corresponding to part of the body I was sad when they made eagle vision L3 in whichever ac did it.

I feel like the game was more stream lined to meet a more general audience for better or worse. I loved not falling over from running into people but I missed grabbing ledges. People say press O no. If hes falling and near enough to grab he will grab period. Remember ezio would like throw himself forwards? Also being able to jump to while climbing to reach higher ledges. I missed the hook blade but like the parachute with the height your on it was unnecessary. A couple areas he uses his tomahawk to zipline though it's more cinematic than practical (you HAVE to do it to escape couple times but never have the option to do it when playing)

All together the game rocks. However it didn't totally feel like an AC game to me.
#20SCGhost2424Posted 11/7/2012 10:26:29 PM
DrunkBeardGuy posted...
Definitely!

Connor should have had a glide suit and airplane, I mean why the hell not? Besides the fact that there are literally no buildings tall enough to use the flying machine and parachutes on, let's throw them in there!

did you play the game? the frontier is huge and have high mountains to boot. just one example.....