Doom and gloom has gotten me worried. The game just isn't fun to play?

#41ZodasRevengePosted 11/10/2012 11:11:17 AM
There are a lot of LITTLE things that add up to make this game a LOT less fun than any other AC game, except maybe AC1. Some examples:

They "simplified" the freerunning controls even more. It barely feels like you're playing a game anymore while freerunning.

Speaking of freerunning, there's hardly any platform puzzles at all. No awesome tombs. What little platforming there is, it's lame (see above, "simplified" controls)

There isn't nearly as much assassinating! The game is massive, but the majority of missions are "look at map, go to icon, watch cutscene" it's Errand Boy's Creed.

You can't kill civilians as easily. You have to do a workaround using the ranged weapons only.

The game is pretty strict about how you can complete missions. Like it threatens to desync you if you leave the small area of the mission. I feel like even AC1 gave you a little more leeway to complete a mission in your own way.

If you kill an animal, you HAVE to skin it or the game threatens to desync you. Doesn't sound like a problem, but after the 5000000th skinning animation you'll be tired of it. It discourages random killing of animals, which is stupid. Furthermore, hunting overall is just kind of lame. The animals are glitchy, most are so slow you can just run up and kill them; and the game has a QTE system for when predator animals attack you. It's not a challenge it just gets boring really fast.

There are guards on rooftops, nothing new to the series. But this time, they are almost never alone and often in large groups. This makes it less fun to freerun on rooftops because you're probably going to trigger a fight and when you do, 50 guards on the ground magically know where you are and start shooting at you.

When you get into combat in the city, you are immediately surrounded by like 30 guards who just stand there, while only 3 or 4 actually attack. There are so friggin many guards but they aren't aggressive. Reminds me of AC1

Getting chased is also like AC1. The enemies stay right on you. They run just as fast, they're just as agile, some classes NEVER give up chasing you... it makes you feel less "special" as an assassin when the stupid guards can do everything you can do.

On and on...
#42riouken1234Posted 11/10/2012 11:14:36 AM
"There isn't nearly as much assassinating! The game is massive, but the majority of missions are "look at map, go to icon, watch cutscene" it's Errand Boy's Creed."

Which is exactly why AC1 is my favourite Assassin's Creed. AC1 has the most assassinations, giving you the most freedom in how you approach them, and giving you the most tools to refine and perfect your plan.

Every game after AC1 was linear. Even AC2's big assassinations. You plan nothing, the cutscenes plan it for you, then you follow the objectives.

Not necessarily as bad as AC3, for sure, but I think the game's progressively got worse in this regard.
#43ZodasRevengePosted 11/10/2012 11:19:11 AM
riouken1234 posted...
"There isn't nearly as much assassinating! The game is massive, but the majority of missions are "look at map, go to icon, watch cutscene" it's Errand Boy's Creed."

Which is exactly why AC1 is my favourite Assassin's Creed. AC1 has the most assassinations, giving you the most freedom in how you approach them, and giving you the most tools to refine and perfect your plan.

Every game after AC1 was linear. Even AC2's big assassinations. You plan nothing, the cutscenes plan it for you, then you follow the objectives.

Not necessarily as bad as AC3, for sure, but I think the game's progressively got worse in this regard.

I think you might be right. While playing through this, I really missed the POLISH of AC2, but the ACTION of AC1! Think I'll play through AC1 again soon :D
#44riouken1234Posted 11/10/2012 11:21:51 AM
If you're looking for really great assassination missions, giving you the chance to plan and take a wide variety of approaches, then check out Hitman: Absolution!

Better yet, try all the other Hitman games too!
#45ZodasRevengePosted 11/10/2012 11:41:18 AM
riouken1234 posted...
If you're looking for really great assassination missions, giving you the chance to plan and take a wide variety of approaches, then check out Hitman: Absolution!

Better yet, try all the other Hitman games too!

Got it preordered, yay! I also have the three older ones for PS2 but for some reason they don't run well.