I actually remember when games were hard...

#1DtokPosted 11/9/2012 9:29:02 PM(edited)
After 60+ hours into Assassins Creed III, I revisited some of the oldest games on NES: Super Mario and Megaman. Wow those games are unforgiving. Nevermind dashing of trees and running through falling cliffs, avoiding jumping fish off unbalanced platforms was proving incredibly challenging. Knowing the SLIGHTEST mistake when jumping off a platform in Megaman will lead me to start the level all over again.

If I miss a platform and plunge to my doom in Assassins Creed, I'd be frustrated because I know a lot of it is the game's fault. If I miss a platform and plunge to my doom in Megaman, I'd scream "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" and know that most of it was my fault (while crying over at the corner).

Edit: Ah, the days when blowing on the cartridge fixed glitches.
---
Mr. Fortune Calculator.
PSN: DToNE7
#2Zio_DynePosted 11/9/2012 9:37:29 PM
It's not like there aren't any challenging games anymore, though they have been steadily on the decline for quite some time.
Assassin's Creed has just never striven for that type of experience.
It's intended to be extremely forgiving; an all too welcoming series that anyone can pick up and revel in it's highly cinematic presentation.
It might leave some wanting, but they're trying to appeal to a broader audience, and as such, a laughably easy game that practically plays itself(albeit very, very poorly at times c_c) is the better approach.
...Oh, and obligatory ifyouwantsomethingmorechallengingthenplaydemonsordarksouls.
#3LiquidAntagonisPosted 11/9/2012 9:38:37 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty

Case in point: Ninja Gaiden 2: Dark Sword of Chaos

Seriously, f*** that game. If you can beat it - congratulations!
---
>provides users with the ability to dispute a "moderation"
>list of reasons why every argument is "refutable" =_=
#4DamarasPosted 11/9/2012 9:45:56 PM
It's because games back then didn't have much options.
#5RampageHowlPosted 11/9/2012 10:09:34 PM
try dark souls/demon souls, those were some pretty challenging games :D

as for this series, don't believe it's meant to be hard, most games nowdays get low scores/low buys if they require even the slightest bit of brain power to achieve victory.
#6riddlebox89Posted 11/9/2012 10:14:05 PM
I remember when games first got difficulty settings and stopped thrusting you into something that's so ridiculously hard like the hallway before the Grim Reaper in the first Castlevania game because those games would be over with in five minutes if they weren't so outrageously ramped up.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#7Immortal780Posted 11/9/2012 10:26:47 PM
I remember when we all rode horses to get everywhere we wanted to go. When the horse fell over and died from dehydration I knew it was all my fault that I didn't feed and water it properly.
---
Xbox Live & PSN ID: Virilitas
D/P: 4897 2636 8690
#8rizvince19Posted 11/9/2012 10:35:10 PM(edited)
Monster Hunter games are quite difficult. I remember when I played Monster Hunter for the first time. Can't even beat the Velociraptor leader. Dark Souls/Demon Souls/Monster Hunter are some example of games that really requires serious skills to enjoy them.

Edit: Or to get your money's worth at those games.
---
Living in a nation controlled by the media.
#9Arsene-LupinPosted 11/9/2012 10:43:03 PM
So you're whining because the tedium of having to reload after making stupid mistakes is no longer an issue? ...Right.

AC3 has plenty of challenge, it's just up to the player to challenge his or her self. If you think it's too easy, that's your fault, not the games. Go for 100% sync. Limit yourself only to certain weapons, etc., etc.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#10froggerpirate99Posted 11/9/2012 10:44:10 PM
i remember playing jack 2 i think i went through three controllers and still not beat that game