I actually remember when games were hard...

#11Dtok(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 11:45:14 PM
Yeah, I have Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, and Monster Hunter (on my PSP). Among the reasons why all those 3 of those games are hard though is that they want you to perfect your defense before going on the offense. Older games don't make you perfect defense and they want you to perfect timing.

The only REAL challenge in Assassins Creed 3 has to be collecting Almanac pages while Notorious Level 3 and being shot at constantly.
---
Mr. Fortune Calculator.
PSN: DToNE7
#12astral_ratPosted 11/10/2012 12:06:50 AM
LiquidAntagonis posted...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty

Case in point: Ninja Gaiden 2: Dark Sword of Chaos

Seriously, f*** that game. If you can beat it - congratulations!

I did beat that game. Battletoads was worse.
#13astral_ratPosted 11/10/2012 12:08:12 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
So you're whining because the tedium of having to reload after making stupid mistakes is no longer an issue? ...Right.

AC3 has plenty of challenge, it's just up to the player to challenge his or her self. If you think it's too easy, that's your fault, not the games. Go for 100% sync. Limit yourself only to certain weapons, etc., etc.

Typical fanboy... if you mention anything about the game, you're whining... unless it's a shining compliment.
#14ninjarobot_22Posted 11/10/2012 12:10:26 AM
Well when you die in AC III just delete all your saved game data and restart again. That's the only reason older games are hard is because there was no save feature and you had to restart from the beginning.
---
"Thanks for the input Jeff."
#15astral_ratPosted 11/10/2012 12:15:18 AM
ninjarobot_22 posted...
Well when you die in AC III just delete all your saved game data and restart again. That's the only reason older games are hard is because there was no save feature and you had to restart from the beginning.

If you think that's true, you've never really played an older game.
#16ravensfan2055Posted 11/10/2012 12:19:09 AM
Damaras posted...
It's because games back then didn't have much options.

This is exactly it. What dis you do in Mega Man. You played through, and when it was over, you played it again. There was nothing to it. Nowadays, games give a lot more features.

Also, that fake difficulty thing was pretty good, and, by that logic, it's been around for a while. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog. There were no saves, which gave it fake difficulty. Sure, it had real difficulty too, but there's an example.
---
"The purpose of war is not to die for your country; the purpose of war is to make the other guy die for his." -- General George S. Patton
#17RoxasANobodyPosted 11/10/2012 12:59:11 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
So you're whining because the tedium of having to reload after making stupid mistakes is no longer an issue? ...Right.

I never got that argument. This argument was brought up numerous times against Final Fantasy XIII. For those who haven't played XIII, you get a "Retry" option if you die in battle. Instead of starting off from your last save point, you are positioned a safe distance away from the battle you died in and you can change your paradigms, equipment, etc. If you decided to do that, you can engage the enemy once again.

Difficulty is subjective. For me, difficulty is about a challenge. Starting something from the very beginning is just tedious. Chopping down a 1:16:xx time to a 1:15:xx time in GT5/FM4 is difficult and challenging. Making me restart the whole level because I fell off a cliff is just tedious, especially since I'll just take the same path I just took.
---
"I've got so much love to give."
Currently playing: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, NFS: The Run, and Initial D: Extreme Stage
#18shabalakazamPosted 11/10/2012 12:59:57 AM
You should really play Dark Souls.
#19BillysanPosted 11/10/2012 1:24:28 AM
astral_rat posted...
ninjarobot_22 posted...

If you think that's true, you've never really played an older game.

Meh this is largely true. I grew up with old games and many of the games would of been far easier had they not forced you to either restart the whole game or whole level over.

Infinite check points can make even the most difficult thing easy.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#20ChocoboDreamsPosted 11/10/2012 1:32:56 AM
To be fair, a lot of old games weren't hard to be challenging, they were hard as a result of poor game design. The first Crash Bandicoot is a good example (Boulder Dash). This game could have probably used a little more difficulty, but I think I got enough challenge in going for full synchronization.
---
I just want Card Sagas Wars. Seriously, I'd do anything, just give me Card Sagas Wars. Please.
PSN:ChocoboDreams