______ Punches Desmond (Slight spoilers? Kind of? Maybe?)

#11JackSolomon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 3:03:13 AM
Madigari posted...
JackSolomon posted...
Desmond has the skills, knowledge, and experience of TWO of those. Plus, William wasn't attacking from the shadows or sneaking stealthily with a hidden blade. He was standing right in front of him and threw a haymaker.

That really doesn't make that big a difference. Especially if they keep making exponential growth. I.E., Ezio was more lethal than Altair, Connor more brutal than the rest.

If they kept increasing in skill that way, William has skill above and beyond Desmond. Desmond just has the bloodline necessary for the Apple and the skill of two -older- Mentors, of whom have been shown to continue increasing in skill with each generation.

Ezio was more lethal than Altair due to an increase in technology as compared to Altair's playtime. Connor's more brutal because he lives in a more brutal era. William was most likely trained in various hand to hand combat techniques, but nowhere near to the level Ezio, Altair, and Connor were. William's Assassin training likely focused more on public stealth, reconnaissance, and long range assassination. So while William probably could snipe Desmond from afar without any retaliation, in a close range, hand to hand environment Desmond should have butchered William with ease.
---
PSN: Xeriam
#12AyahRivenPosted 11/12/2012 3:05:04 AM
JackSolomon posted...
Connor's more brutal because he lives in a more brutal era.

I would hardly call the colonial age more brutal than the crusades in the holy land, but that's just me.
#13JackSolomon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 3:06:59 AM
AyahRiven posted...
JackSolomon posted...
Connor's more brutal because he lives in a more brutal era.

I would hardly call the colonial age more brutal than the crusades in the holy land, but that's just me.

Well, less refined. Even in Altair's day there were large, civilized cities. Connor however lives in the wilderness, outside of large cities, where he tends to be fighting bears more than people. When you learn techniques to take down a bear and apply them to fighting a human, you can imagine how a comparably more brutal fighting style would emerge.
---
#14MadigariPosted 11/12/2012 3:08:33 AM
JackSolomon posted...
Ezio was more lethal than Altair due to an increase in technology as compared to Altair's playtime. Connor's more brutal because he lives in a more brutal era. William was most likely trained in various hand to hand combat techniques, but nowhere near to the level Ezio, Altair, and Connor were. William's Assassin training likely focused more on public stealth, reconnaissance, and long range assassination. So while William probably could snipe Desmond from afar without any retaliation, in a close range, hand to hand environment Desmond should have butchered William with ease.

"Likely". "Probably". I'm making an educated guess here on the exponential raise in skill from each Mentor to the next. It's just a guess, but, again, each Mentor has, again, raised exponentially.

There's really no way to say for sure. The wrench in your assumption are that you're assuming what his training was. The wrench in mine is that Daniel was able to kill a Mentor just because the Mentor didn't see it coming.

Of course, that would make the argument for them increasing their self-defense training since that incident, but still.
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my originality the most.
#15JackSolomon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 3:17:25 AM
Madigari posted...
JackSolomon posted...

"Likely". "Probably". I'm making an educated guess here on the exponential raise in skill from each Mentor to the next. It's just a guess, but, again, each Mentor has, again, raised exponentially.

There's really no way to say for sure. The wrench in your assumption are that you're assuming what his training was. The wrench in mine is that Daniel was able to kill a Mentor just because the Mentor didn't see it coming.

Of course, that would make the argument for them increasing their self-defense training since that incident, but still.

To be fair, they've been on the run. While some Assassin's (such as Desmond) were raised to BE Assassin's, we don't know if William was a convert or not. If he was, he didn't have the early life training that Altair and Desmond did. My main point is that there isn't an increase in skill between the mentors so much as innovation through invention: As tech increases, the Assassin's received more refined skills to make use of them. Hence why Ezio with his Metal Cestus was more lethal than Altair was. Firearms changed that, especially modern day. Like Daniel says: "It's the 21st century and you're running around with a tiny knife for protection?" It's been stated that the hidden blade isn't really used much anymore save for tradition. With the introduction of modern day firearms, I can reliably say that William was not trained in hand to hand combat to the same degree Ezio and Altair, and by extension, Desmond were. They trained their entire lives in these skills. William probably only trained for a few months, at the most, a few years. Let's put it at the max, say up to that point in his life, William trained and used the equivalent of five years of hand to hand combat training. I mean full on beat your face in training, not chokeholds and stealthy necksnaps. Now let's take into account Ezio's, say, fifty years and transfer that to Desmond. Do you see why I'm a bit incredulous as to why William could get a punch in on Desmond?
---
#16MadigariPosted 11/12/2012 3:26:46 AM
JackSolomon posted...
Do you see why I'm a bit incredulous as to why William could get a punch in on Desmond?

Sure. It's pretty easy to be incredulous when you're willing to give the benefit of the doubt in one instance and yet not another.

Again, there's really no way to say how much training William had, how intense it was, and so on. You're presuming with no viable way to say for sure, other than claiming that firearms training somehow takes precedence when you've never seen -any- of them wield a gun, save for Daniel Cross.

To throw that back at you, how do you know his disbelief to Desmond's weapon of choice is because he found William in roughly the same way; with a blade and fighting hand-to-hand? You don't. Neither do I.

The smart thing to do in this instance is suspend disbelief and accept it. Whether you feel he should or shouldn't have landed that punch, the fact is he -did- land that punch.
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my originality the most.
#17FindTheSecretPosted 11/14/2012 3:28:08 AM
Im not even getting WHY you guys think William is a Master Assassin, let alone the Mentor.

He became the de facto leader, but only AFTER Daniel Cross killed the mentor, and had Abstergo practiclly wipe out most of the other assassin camps/base's. Nowhere is it stated he became Mentor

I wouldn't be surpised if the reason why he was chosen was because his assassin group was the biggest one still operative and on-going, seeing how there was a comment in AC2 that most active groups are really small.

The only real-life Assassin i would call a Master-Assassin is Desmond, thanks to his training as a child and the bleeding-effect. William is only the 'leader' because he's the senior operative, thats it.
---
"If Lee Harvey Oswald didn't quickscope then I'm not quickscoping."
PSN: sgt_cumalot5713
#18JackSolomon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 3:29:07 AM
FindTheSecret posted...
Im not even getting WHY you guys think William is a Master Assassin, let alone the Mentor.

He became the de facto leader, but only AFTER Daniel Cross killed the mentor, and had Abstergo practiclly wipe out most of the other assassin camps/base's. Nowhere is it stated he became Mentor

I wouldn't be surpised if the reason why he was chosen was because his assassin group was the biggest one still operative and on-going, seeing how there was a comment in AC2 that most active groups are really small.

The only real-life Assassin i would call a Master-Assassin is Desmond, thanks to his training as a child and the bleeding-effect. William is only the 'leader' because he's the senior operative, thats it.

THANK YOU. *walks off triumphantly*
---
#19Gmoney-Posted 11/14/2012 6:25:48 AM
Anyway, he didn't fight back because it was a surprise pissed off conversation and its his father.
---
"Nothing is true.Everything is permitted."