Assassin's' Creed III Review

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Assassin's Creed III
  3. Assassin's' Creed III Review
3 years ago#11
I've actually considered trying to convince my editors to let me score my reviews. But you like that they aren't scored? How come? I'm just curious.

I'm the same way. When I did reviews, I did a "Buy, Borrow, or Burn" scale. Basically, I was recommending either buying, borrowing / renting, or avoiding it, and it forced me to explain why.

I don't like using numbers because it doesn't allow for the subtly of fun versus polish. A game can be quite fun and still be unpolished, and a game can be very well put together and polished and just not be fun. Not giving a number rating also allows a reviewer to concentrate on the pros and cons of the game, rather than trying to decide what arbitrary number best reflects their opinion of it.
---
EMPTY [IIIII-----] FULL
The WTF!?-o-meter is currently... Normal
3 years ago#12
I don't really think they mean much. Some people just look at a score to decide whether to buy a game or not. I'd rather hear what it does and doesn't do to see if it meets what I want from a game.

Also I do believe it needs way more polish on the story, mechanics, and all the glitches. It was more or less a statement that the article didn't really make clear what he thought the polish was for. Examples on the story is when you assassinate someone on bunker hill you have a five minute conversation with the guy even though you're surrounded by a lot of red coats. Or doing the Benedict Arnold missions before or certain sequence makes everything out of place or even some of the naval missions. Glitches being the naval convoys routes being stuck at 80% risk, or lockpicking animations, or so many other ones. Mechanics with the world map discovery you map out so little when walking.
3 years ago#13
pat2001 posted...
I don't think I'm the first person to complain about Assassin's Creed III's controls.

Compared to a lot of other games on the market right now, they are extremely hard to catch on to at first.

The controls are easy, they just aren't very good. Maybe that was what you should have put instead. AC as a franchise has always had suspect controls and mechanics, 3 is no exception.
---
-------
A lover and a retired fighter. The grizzled veteran of gaming.
3 years ago#14
Evolution_basic posted...
The controls are easy, they just aren't very good. Maybe that was what you should have put instead. AC as a franchise has always had suspect controls and mechanics, 3 is no exception.

No, they haven't. You're just bad at video games.
3 years ago#15
You're opinion, sir, is deserving of ridicule.

AyahRiven posted...
Evolution_basic posted...

No, they haven't. You're just bad at video games.
(message deleted)
3 years ago#17
Yeah the controls in past games were rather good. Most of the problem lied in the devs not taking enough time to find little bugs here and there.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
3 years ago#18
pat2001 posted...
haven't really played much of the first two Assassin's Creed titles, only Brotherhood and Revelations.

It really bothers me when people jump into a series mid way. Is it because they see the popularity and figure they should get it because everyone els is? Then they want to speak on it when they don't know the whole story.

I think maybe I take it too personally. I didn't make the games but I get offended like I did lol. Like someone skipped 90% of my work just to see the new stuff or the ending. Being a fan of a series I want people that are interested to enjoy it. Having put in the "time and effort" to play them as intended because video games are art to me and it's like the people I mentioned above, they didn't appreciate or respect the work enough to have played the entire series and in order at that.

You don't go see a sequel to a movie before the first one right? I just don't get the appeal of jumping into a story half way as opposed to starting from the beginning.

Now, this isn't so much directed at you TC, having a profession of reviewing games, it's your job, you get payed to review certain titles you gotta do what work tells you I get that... so disregard my post, that line just triggered a rant. Don't mean to de rail your topic.
---
~ La Vita Nuova ~
  1. Boards
  2. Assassin's Creed III
  3. Assassin's' Creed III Review

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived