Which is better for creating peace- control or freedom?

#1ChaingunmasterPosted 11/14/2012 8:03:27 AM
Which is better for creating peace? - Results (262 votes)
Control
22.14% (58 votes)
Freedom
14.5% (38 votes)
You need both to an extent
63.36% (166 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was thinking recently that if you look purely at their intentions, the Templars and Assassin's want the same goal, just with opposing means. The game may portray the Templars as evil but I believe a degree of control is important- with total freedom would come anarchy, and we have governments to prevent that.
So which would you say is more important in maintaining peace; control or freedom? I'd say both are vital in holding society together, and that absolutes of either would probably hinder peace.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#2Solid_PWPosted 11/14/2012 8:04:41 AM
You really need both to an extent. Both can't be too extreme, total control leads to corruption whereas excessive freedom leads to chaos.
---
"IS DERE SOMEBODY DERE." - The many guards of MGS2
#3ZukkusPosted 11/14/2012 8:36:48 AM
In my Sociology course we tried to create a theoretical perfect/peaceful society. It's grim stuff. Eugenics, termination of handicapped at birth, controlled population growth, suppression of arts/focus of technology and industry, control by a single person or small oligopoly, etc.

In theory (not in true practice) ultimate control makes for peace.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#4Lucasdar7Posted 11/14/2012 8:48:10 AM
The perfect society is the one in Logan's Run.
#5DeliProPosted 11/14/2012 8:50:42 AM(edited)
Zukkus posted...
In my Sociology course we tried to create a theoretical perfect/peaceful society. It's grim stuff. Eugenics, termination of handicapped at birth, controlled population growth, suppression of arts/focus of technology and industry, control by a single person or small oligopoly, etc.

In theory (not in true practice) ultimate control makes for peace.

Most of those seem like good ideas to me. People should have smaller egos and realize human life isn't inherently valuable, it's the connections and bonds we make throughout our lives that have value so anything that lowers the total amount of suffering in the world is good in my opinion.
#6The_HoochGoblinPosted 11/14/2012 8:53:14 AM
The best would be a benevolent monarchy or dictator. One leader that truly acts for the best interests of his people.
#7CJFreezePosted 11/14/2012 8:54:38 AM
Unfortunately, Ultimate Control is what would keep the peace at the final count. Like the earlier post, it would involve a lot of population control and strict racial guidelines to ensure the healthiest and strongest progress.

But for human exsistance, peace is an illusion because you learn the majority of your skills through trial and error. And because human existence is random at best error can result in human tragedy.

So peace is more of an internal phycological mechanism for coping with hardships and boredom.

Freedom is and always be an illusion. We are never truely free, we have to eat, sleep, and do other stuff to constantly survive. Therefore we are never truely in control and will always have to do something for someone, even if it is ourselves.
---
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience prove you wrong; remember, when the emperor looks naked, the emperor is naked - Daria
#8NorthernDruidPosted 11/14/2012 11:49:39 AM
You need control, you need firm rules, enforced on a level that guides everyone along the same path, world spanning rules.

But you need them to be flexible and dynamic, allowing for variation in excecution and style. And of course most importantly, the rules need to be bendable enough, that it's never gonna be a problem not fitting into the mold the norm presents.

In essence, i believe you need freedom through control. Making people be reflective, knowledge-seeking and inquisitive, and individualistic. With the freedom to forge their own identity out of these things. With control, you can lead someone in the direction they want to go.

Total freedom leads to chaos. Total control leads to stagnation. But if you can have freedom through control, you'll get peace. It won't be utopia, because we can't tame chance. But it will be a world whith a place for everyone who accepts the simple and reasonable boundaries.

Freedom isn't only Relieving. Control isn't only forceful.
---
The best plans are the ones that don't work unless you wing it along the way. -Skandrae
Support Project Crystallis! http://projectcrystallis.org/
#9heyitsthatguy11Posted 11/14/2012 12:10:13 PM
Neither. Look at how humans are. We create chaos on a freaking daily basis. Too much freedom, and I bet the Earth will just explode. Meanwhile, control can be seen as evil, and slavery is a form of it... it's just wrong. From control, comes rebellion. From rebellion, comes even more chaos. Do we need both? Yes. Laws might as well be a form of control and they keep (most of) us in line. Without some freedom, we'd all be rebelling and thus, more chaos. That would leave the rest of humanity (The complete ******* morons who go shooting up movie theaters, assaulting (AND KILLING) soccer goalies for "not doing their job", rapists & kidnappers) to **** it all up for us.
---
Square Enix, create a sequel to TWEWY. You have 3 years. Fail and face erasure. - The Fanbase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjf48W3Dg98
#10LiquidAntagonisPosted 11/14/2012 12:14:50 PM
Enlightenment. You need enlightenment.

What does this mean? It means you need to prioritize things like the attainment of knowledge and intelligence and skill.

The problem with freedom: freedom without knowledge, intelligence, or skill assumes no purpose and freedom with no purpose is destined for either uselessness or chaos.

The problem with control: who decides who is put in power? And who decides who gets to decide? If only a select few get to decide, then the people can be extorted and manipulated under the guise of "I'm doing what I do for the greater good. I'm doing what I do for you".

Enlightenment means understanding that control and freedom are both necessary to a certain extent and under certain circumstances.
---
>provides users with the ability to dispute a "moderation"
>list of reasons why every argument is "refutable" =_=