Assassin's Creed 2 vs Assassin's Creed 3 gameplay comparison video

#21BillysanPosted 11/20/2012 11:13:08 PM
TiO_GeR posted...
Billysan posted...

Your are commending shallow gameplay.

No sir, I am not, I am commending efficient gameplay. I am all for deep gameplay as long as it's useful, or effective.

Honestly, I played through all AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations and I think I never let go of the X while running. Didn't have problems turning, stopping or clinging to stuff. I did however have MAJOR camera problems, because having to hold down X prevented me from rotating the right stick which was a major design flaw IMO.

The tackling mechanic was fine, since it was only situational, and it DID add to the gameplay (as a matter of fact, there is a similar mechanic in AC3 for avoiding small obstacles which I like).
I simply disliked how it looked. Plowing through people like the Juggernaut didn't look very assassin-like.

The reason you had major camera problems is because you never let go of X. It use to be a situational thing. Used when being chased in long stretches and open pathways and for climbing and free-running.

Also the new turning style in AC3 makes turning slightly more clumsy..it's cool in certain situation like dodging trees and people but it gives off to much of a drag while quick turning. It's something that could of been completely solved using the original controls.

In AC2 actually hitting people would slow you down and even knock you over. So you had to use circle to push your way through and it actually makes sense when you realize that holding circle down would make people fall to the ground making more obstacles for your pursuers.

The thing is you would slow down while using circle thus you has to know when and how to use. (So yeah it's something a Assassin's would do when being chased)

It seems like you don't understand the mechanics of the past games very well.

The obstacle vault was a nice addition though but it doesn't seem to work sometimes for whatever reason same with the sliding.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#22HipHopBeatsPosted 11/21/2012 12:08:44 AM
AC2 > AC3 for me overall.
#23TiO_GeRPosted 11/21/2012 7:46:10 AM
Billysan posted...

The reason you had major camera problems is because you never let go of X. It use to be a situational thing. Used when being chased in long stretches and open pathways and for climbing and free-running.

The thing is you would slow down while using circle thus you has to know when and how to use. (So yeah it's something a Assassin's would do when being chased)

The obstacle vault was a nice addition though but it doesn't seem to work sometimes for whatever reason same with the sliding.

Don't condescend to me dude, I understand the mechanics just fine. I could just as easily tell you that you can't turn properly because you suck at this game, but it would be unfair and childish.

I even mentioned that the tackling mechanic was a good thing, so I don't know why you're explaining it to me.
For the third time; I simply don't like how it looks. Bowing your head and shoulder-charging like a rugbier doesn't seem half as graceful as Ezio's other moves. That's all.

Anyway, you have to agree with me that not being able to run and turn the camera at the same time is a design flaw, even if it was just to check if the guards were behind you.

Also, when free-running across some wooden posts or obstacles you HAD to hold X, or else Ezio wouldn't climb them. And when you had to make a 90 degree turn you had to either stop moving and turn the camera (which breaks the free flow) or jump blindly which would sometimes lead to you falling or crashing into something.

For these reasons I prefer AC3's free-running mechanic.
#24Holy_Cloud105Posted 11/21/2012 8:09:52 AM(edited)
Turning the camera while sprinting in AC1+Ezio trilogy isn't nearly as hard as you make it. I have my index on R1, middle finger on X and thumb on R3 to turn the camera. That doesn't even feel unnatural for me. It feels just fine.

Also, the way the controls are in this game you climb even more crap when you don't want to. I can't count how many times that's happened to me in this game when I've hardly ever had that happen in the other AC games.

The only thing AC3 has over AC2 is that the animations are way more fluid, in my opinion.
---
"Thunder is in the heavens, lightning illuminates the fields!"
"The sun rises, and the shadows take flight!"
#25TiO_GeRPosted 11/21/2012 8:15:51 AM
Holy_Cloud105 posted...
Turning the camera while sprinting in AC1+Ezio trilogy isn't nearly as hard as you make it. I have my index on R1, middle finger on X and thumb on R3 to turn the camera. That doesn't even feel unnatural for me. It feels just fine.

Wait, you hold it like a normal controller, put your index on the R1 button and then twist you middle finger under the index and over the pad to press X? I'm pretty sure most human hands don't bend that way, are you alright?
#26Holy_Cloud105Posted 11/21/2012 8:24:26 AM
I meant that I put my index on X and middle on R1. I don't even know how I got them mixed up.. My apologies.
---
"Thunder is in the heavens, lightning illuminates the fields!"
"The sun rises, and the shadows take flight!"
#27yaboyPosted 11/21/2012 11:01:52 AM
AC3 was pretty fun. The frontier and all its wildlife were done really well. The combat was greatly improved.

AC2 Blew. My. ****ing. Mind. That's all there is to it. The story, the setting, the music, the cities, the tombs, the characters, the gameplay, the Truth!, the end! Holy ****balls. It's in my top 3 all-time favorite games.

AC3 miiiiiight be in my top 30 all-time favorite games.

In fact, after watching that comparison video, I'm kind of looking forward to finishing the rest of the AC3 side stuffs (that I'm going to bother doing) so I can replay AC2. I don't give a ***** how many buttons I have to hold to run.
#28yaboyPosted 11/21/2012 12:00:16 PM
Honestly, when I look at the overall direction that the games have taken, it really makes me wonder if the developers even fully realize what it was that made the old ones so good.
#29BillysanPosted 11/21/2012 3:30:15 PM(edited)
TiO_GeR posted...
Billysan posted...

Don't condescend to me dude, I understand the mechanics just fine. I could just as easily tell you that you can't turn properly because you suck at this game, but it would be unfair and childish.

I even mentioned that the tackling mechanic was a good thing, so I don't know why you're explaining it to me.
For the third time; I simply don't like how it looks. Bowing your head and shoulder-charging like a rugbier doesn't seem half as graceful as Ezio's other moves. That's all.

Anyway, you have to agree with me that not being able to run and turn the camera at the same time is a design flaw, even if it was just to check if the guards were behind you.

Also, when free-running across some wooden posts or obstacles you HAD to hold X, or else Ezio wouldn't climb them. And when you had to make a 90 degree turn you had to either stop moving and turn the camera (which breaks the free flow) or jump blindly which would sometimes lead to you falling or crashing into something.

For these reasons I prefer AC3's free-running mechanic.

I never mentioned tacking.

Tackling is the move you do when you double tap circle. Holding circle down in past games causes people to fall to the ground while running. This is gone from AC3 and you said you prefer the new system.

Concerning the camera Honestly after hearing this from a number of people in the last games and finally having the ability to control the camera while jumping across roof tops and such it's pretty unnecessary. I think people held down X a little to much before.

The climbing/freerunning feels more clumsy now so the camera control doesn't really add that much.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#30TiO_GeRPosted 11/21/2012 5:51:10 PM
Billysan posted...

I never mentioned tacking.

Tackling is the move you do when you double tap circle. Holding circle down in past games causes people to fall to the ground while running. This is gone from AC3 and you said you prefer the new system.

Concerning the camera Honestly after hearing this from a number of people in the last games and finally having the ability to control the camera while jumping across roof tops and such it's pretty unnecessary. I think people held down X a little to much before.

The climbing/freerunning feels more clumsy now so the camera control doesn't really add that much.

Perfect, agree to disagree then. I think controlling the camera while free-running is a life saver and something I hated from the Ezio saga.