They sure messed up the story [spoilers for those who have not played AC2]

#1shabalakazamPosted 11/22/2012 12:59:48 PM
Does anybody else feels like the AC franchise's story just got worse and worse after they introduced Minerva and the whole "Those who came before" crap? What I'd want the most for the AC franchise right now would be a reboot, starting over and dumping all of those sci-fi bs, they interfere with the main story FAR too much.

Also the Eagle chase, the utterly pointless eagle chase. Never do that again, Ubisoft.
#2OhhSnapPosted 11/22/2012 1:04:32 PM
The sci fi part really is the main story if you think about it. But yeah, I do wish they'd dump the whole "the ones who came before" thing and stick with the assassin templar war during the ancient and modern times.
---
I didn't hit you. I simply highfived your face!
#3shabalakazam(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 1:08:40 PM
OhhSnap posted...
The sci fi part really is the main story if you think about it. But yeah, I do wish they'd dump the whole "the ones who came before" thing and stick with the assassin templar war during the ancient and modern times.

The sci-fi stuff was pretty cool prior to the ending of AC2, actually. The ones who came before sounded like a primeval race of man, but then Ubisoft decided to slump in Gods and Deities.
#4MyLovelyTotoriPosted 11/22/2012 1:16:01 PM
I, for one, play this series without even ever care about this Desmond nonsense. I mean, I don't care what's going on in the present world of that game, I only care about Altair, Ezio, Connor, and what happened in their world and their time.
#5shabalakazam(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 1:20:19 PM
MyLovelyTotori posted...
I, for one, play this series without even ever care about this Desmond nonsense. I mean, I don't care what's going on in the present world of that game, I only care about Altair, Ezio, Connor, and what happened in their world and their time.

Exactly, but the scif-fi stuff interferes with the story so much you can't ignore it.
Hell, pretty much all of the characters' endings has XX of Eden or Those who came before.
#6Will414Posted 11/22/2012 1:23:55 PM
It's a refreshing twist, in my opinion. It didn't start from AC2, either. Those same elements were present in AC1, especially if you explored the Desmond segments and read all the emails discussing the Precursor artifacts.

From the very beginning, in AC1, they've been pushing the idea that Assassins and Templars are not Good and Evil. Al Mualim gives a few very thick speeches on the subject, among other things. Altair's wife was a Templar.

If the game had simply stayed Assassins versus Templars, however, it would merely be giving lip-service to the concept.

Templars are still antagonists, because they and the Assassins are morally opposed to one another, but the solar flares and the Ones Who Came Before exist as a more serious threat, and one that's not as simple as pure evil.

Assassin's Creed is playing with the mythos around there being a connection between you and all of your past lives, and so the logical conclusion is to explore the beginnings of mankind. With that, why not explore the origins of various creation and religious myths?
#7_kybalion_Posted 11/22/2012 1:27:19 PM
MyLovelyTotori posted...

Thought I was the only one that felt this way about the series. It's why the ending didn't bother me at all, cos I just couldn't give a crap about the Desmond stuff and I was happy with Connors ending.
---
People that end a post with 'discuss' are trash....
#8FireMage7777Posted 11/22/2012 1:27:28 PM
I love the whole current day story
---
The official Valbanisher, that doesn't believe in kupo
#9shabalakazam(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 1:28:51 PM
Will414 posted...
It's a refreshing twist, in my opinion. It didn't start from AC2, either. Those same elements were present in AC1, especially if you explored the Desmond segments and read all the emails discussing the Precursor artifacts.

From the very beginning, in AC1, they've been pushing the idea that Assassins and Templars are not Good and Evil. Al Mualim gives a few very thick speeches on the subject, among other things. Altair's wife was a Templar.

If the game had simply stayed Assassins versus Templars, however, it would merely be giving lip-service to the concept.

Templars are still antagonists, because they and the Assassins are morally opposed to one another, but the solar flares and the Ones Who Came Before exist as a more serious threat, and one that's not as simple as pure evil.

Assassin's Creed is playing with the mythos around there being a connection between you and all of your past lives, and so the logical conclusion is to explore the beginnings of mankind. With that, why not explore the origins of various creation and religious myths?

But imo, they should have just kept The Ones Who Came Before and the Pieces of Eden as a mystery.
#10shabalakazam(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 1:30:05 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
I love the whole current day story

I don't mind the modern settings, just the TOWCB stuff that's bothering me.