Rope Dart physics?

#1shabalakazamPosted 11/23/2012 9:12:57 AM
Does anybody else thinks the physics for the Rope Dart is a little off? I don't think you can launch it like a harpoon and pull someone in like how Connor does it, much less HANG someone with it.

I think it was supposed to be a hidden blade extension like the poison blade from AC2 but the idea got scrapped somehow.
#2Legendary_MusasPosted 11/23/2012 9:19:49 AM
Pretty sure it wraps around them like a whip, the metal end is used as a weight not as an impaler.
---
I was born of your dreams. If you believe in me... ...there is nothing I cannot do
#3PFireflyPosted 11/23/2012 9:20:55 AM
You must not watch many kung fu movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8&feature=related

Connor may not do all the animations associated with properly launching a rope dart, but they absolutely do work as presented.
---
Alice returns in 2011, I'll be ready... http://www.ea.com/alice
Inception ending spoiler: http://twitpic.com/26k9ub
#4EVE6 FANPosted 11/23/2012 9:30:40 AM
Um, video game?
---
PsN: Ultraviolence (L in violence is a cap i)
#5Nar_GarzhvogPosted 11/23/2012 9:36:48 AM
EVE6 FAN posted...
Um, video game?

Crazy right? Like how Ezio can throw a knife through a crowd and hit the correct guy. My new favorite, the soldiers and muskets are pretty damn accurate and powerful they shot me with a building in between us a few times.
---
PSN: arborkoa18
Clan: Silent Under Night
#6shabalakazam(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 9:37:26 AM
Legendary_Musas posted...
Pretty sure it wraps around them like a whip, the metal end is used as a weight not as an impaler.

At the begining of Seq 6 you could see Connor trying out the rope dart and accidentally got it stuck to a wall. Also the combat animation shows the pointed metal end puncturing the victim's torso.
#7TheEmpsChampPosted 11/23/2012 12:03:14 PM
Having used a "rope dart" in real life, yes, it COULD stab into someone quite deep, and you could probably use it to yank them towards you, though that'd probably be more the opponent moving involuntarily with the blade in order to avoid the pain cause by it being yanked out.
I very highly doubt, however, that you could hang someone in a tree like that. You'd have to, at the very least, genuinely IMPALE them all the way through or the blade would just get ripped out.
#8TheEmpsChampPosted 11/23/2012 12:05:02 PM
And, unless you're Scorpion, no one is going to throw a rope dart with enough force to go clear through someone.
#9EVE6 FANPosted 11/23/2012 12:44:03 PM
TheEmpsChamp posted...
Having used a "rope dart" in real life, yes, it COULD stab into someone quite deep, and you could probably use it to yank them towards you, though that'd probably be more the opponent moving involuntarily with the blade in order to avoid the pain cause by it being yanked out.
I very highly doubt, however, that you could hang someone in a tree like that. You'd have to, at the very least, genuinely IMPALE them all the way through or the blade would just get ripped out.

I always thought he managed to loop it around their neck and hang them, not go straight through them.
---
PsN: Ultraviolence (L in violence is a cap i)
#10TheEmpsChampPosted 11/23/2012 2:51:33 PM
EVE6 FAN posted...
TheEmpsChamp posted...

I always thought he managed to loop it around their neck and hang them, not go straight through them.

As far as I can tell, the game animation seems to show the dart headed point first for the throat area.
Hard to be sure though....