L2-The Assassin Menu

#1anaplussetupPosted 11/26/2012 9:07:54 AM
So, was there a tutorial showing you what holding the L2 button does? I was on sequence 10 or 11 and had a mission instruct me to hold L2 to select an Assassin command, and thought, "WTH is it talking about?"

I held L2 and was immediately furious. How did I miss this?! Earlier in the game I had searched the menus looking for how to send my assassins out to level up like in Brotherhood and couldn't find it and thought they had taken it out for some reason.

I texted a friend who was roughly the same way through the game as me and asked if he knew about this and he was equally flabbergasted.

Gah! To think of all the missed opportunities and failed stealth sections that could've been fixed by using this menu!

Anyway, just wondered if there was something early in the game that I had just forgotten (I recall early on it having me use L2 to send out assassins, I just didn't know there was a menu with different assassin commands) and was also wanting to let people know about this in case they didn't already.

Oh well, I guess this'll make my second playthrough much more interesting!
---
PSN: Thomme
#2NeablisPosted 11/26/2012 9:13:35 AM
Yes in almost all of the final missions to finishing recruiting people it told me atleast to hit l2 select ability and go about my business
#3js16nitePosted 11/26/2012 9:32:55 AM
The annoying thing for me is that by the time you get all of the assassins, and by association the special abilities. If you're like me and try to do side missions as you progress and come across them you'll probably have already done a great deal if not most of the missions and side quests. The different abilities are useful and could make things easier and more fun, but it is close to end of the game before you can access them. Wish they had given you these abilities a lot earlier.
---
If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.
#4SkunkHunterPosted 11/26/2012 9:46:26 AM
js16nite posted...
The annoying thing for me is that by the time you get all of the assassins, and by association the special abilities. If you're like me and try to do side missions as you progress and come across them you'll probably have already done a great deal if not most of the missions and side quests. The different abilities are useful and could make things easier and more fun, but it is close to end of the game before you can access them. Wish they had given you these abilities a lot earlier.

^Agreed. I get it that they decided to flesh out the individual recruits a bit, give them a backstory, make them unique,each has a specal skill, etc. Okay. Which I guess required them to put them in specific areas so that you liberated those areas, which then dictates that you can't get them all until you unlock NY . . . .

But by the time I got them, I actually spent time needlessly harassing guards and patrols so that I could ensure I had used every ability 2x, etc. Would have been nice to have been able to use the recruits during missions and sides, etc. early on. To be honest, though, I never really used the recruits much in earlier versions. I like doing stuff myself. Still, some of the new things they can do are interesting and it would have been fun to play with them in some of the missions and sides.
#5CaterwaulPosted 11/26/2012 9:47:53 AM
js16nite posted...

I had all three Boston assassins in the sequence you unlock Boston (Seq 6, I guess?). Likewise for the three in New York (Seq 9?).

So, no, not really. Assassins are disallowed in the Frontier, which was awful though.
#6js16nitePosted 11/26/2012 10:08:24 AM
Caterwaul posted...
js16nite posted...

I had all three Boston assassins in the sequence you unlock Boston (Seq 6, I guess?). Likewise for the three in New York (Seq 9?).

So, no, not really. Assassins are disallowed in the Frontier, which was awful though.

Boston was early enough in the game that all the different abilities would have been useful to have throughout the game. But when New York becomes open, You're pretty close to the end of the game and you've had time to do many, if not most of the side missions.

I agree that it really hurt the point of having the assassin recruits if you can't use them in the Frontier.
---
If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.
#7ChickenBotPosted 11/26/2012 10:39:13 AM
IMO they should have had the recruits get themselves a tower or something on the Homestead, and had them travel alongside Connor. As in, allow their use out on the frontier too.
---
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing."
-Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid