Did you feel Connor even cared for the order? (spoilers)

#1SimplyAwesomeAJPosted 12/8/2012 10:51:40 AM
I beat this last night (after playing through literally all the games before it to catch up), and while it was fun at parts, it really kind of let me down. I think I just don't care so much for that era as much as I would something more dated. (Would love to see a China Assassin's Creed for instance) Regardless though, it never really felt like Connor belonged in the order.

His whole reasoning for doing what he did was revenge again Lee, who by all accounts, didn't even do what he thought he did. Therefore he killed a man, that while being a Templar needed to die, I felt he did it for entirely wrong reasons.

He never seemed to listen to Achilles, the man who trained him (albeit the lamest offscreen training ever), who made him INTO an assassin, and just sort of did whatever he wanted. Not once did anyone say any of those famous classic lines like "everything is permitted." It just felt fake and wrong most of the time. I guess I would like to see what happens to him, but at the same time, colonial periods are slightly dull to me, and with Desmond out of the picture, I would see it hard to really have an excuse to bring Connor back.

What're youre opinions?
---
Black 2 Friend Code: 4857 4263 3677
#2SymphonicRainPosted 12/8/2012 11:06:27 AM
I agree, but then Achilles was his only influence, and as you said, he barely listened to the guy. It's more like he was taught to fight as an assassin, by an assassin. But not necessarily brought into the order. Most of his goals were "okay, so that's the guy we have to kill" with little understanding of who they really were, or how their death might change things in the future. Such things I feel should be included into the definition of assassination.

To me it felt more like he was trained to be good at killing so he could mete out his revenge by someone who shared a common enemy.
---
"invade some poor sap and jihad bomb him" - LazyKenny
#3AMP1317Posted 12/8/2012 11:17:49 AM
I hope they do a Japan or China Assassin's Creed.
That would just be pure awesome! Imagine the gadgets they'd come up with!
Seriously, watch this documentary on all the crazy weapons and gadgets they have. That could make for a sick arsenal (if you're into martial arts movies like I am you'll love this)

http://youtu.be/aOy1yiUZJtY

But to answer your question, I agree. Connor just felt more like an angsty teen than an assassin.
---
"May the glistening chrome of the Borg Queen shed her light upon us all"
#4ultimaweapon79Posted 12/8/2012 11:19:38 AM
Did you guys forget Ezio's quest in AC2 was nothing more then a revenge quest as well and he wasnt even inducted into the Order until way later in the game and he thought the stories about the Pieces of Eden and the First Civilization were fairy tails until he got a hold of the Apple. As for the fact that it seemed like a lot of the Order's old ways were gone like never saying "nothing is true, everything is permitted" and such could be do to the fact that a lot have changed in 200 years and the colonial assassins were decimated years before under Achilles' rule and maybe he feels traditions are unnecessary and obsolete.
---
PSN/GT: ultimaweapon79
I play one handed but not by choice
#5LegendaryOozaruPosted 12/8/2012 11:28:32 AM
Connor needs to spend time with a real,passionate brotherhood leader to understand how the assassins work, so far all he has learnt is from wornout old achilles.
#6dragonflie666Posted 12/8/2012 1:19:35 PM
Charles Lee was more then a target at that point to him in my opinion, he was a symbol of Connor's grudge and anger.
This is a man who had attacked him as a child for no reason other then because Lee looked down on everyone. He saw his people as dirt.
He was a glory seeker, wanting to best Washington despite being no better.
And he also influenced Connor's best friend and the village in getting involved in the war, despite Connor's best attempts to keep them out.
Him being a templar was no longer important at this point, it was personal.
#7dragonflie666Posted 12/8/2012 1:25:59 PM
Oh and as for Connor and the Order.

I don't think Connor cared all that much about the Order.
He said many time that when the whole thing was done, he would return to his people.
For him, it was his people first then the Brotherhood.

The only person that was really in the Brotherhood was Achilles who has passed.
The rest are the Assassins recruit, but since it was optional, you can take it as it never happened.
Sam Adams and the rest of the contacts seemed more into helping their revolution then helping Connor's quest.
So yea, I think it would be hard for Connor to care much for the order when he held something else at a higher priority and that the rest of the Brotherhood were more into their own revolution then helping his people.
#8Gladion20Posted 12/8/2012 2:38:52 PM
At least one of the recruits wasn't optional, the cook since he shows up in a lot of cutscenes, but even then it just seems more like they are there to help Connor, not really assassin's.
---
XboxLive: alphaomegatitan PSN: Jawzzus
Skyrim Story: http://throughroughandtumble.blogspot.com
#9manila2k1Posted 12/8/2012 3:53:42 PM
I think ultimaweapon79 said it best. The Colonial Assassin Brotherhood itself had fallen on hard times. If you factor in how they must've had minimal contact with the other branches of the Assassin Brotherhood over in Europe and Asia, it's not hard to see why the Colonial branch evolved in its own cynical way.

However, I also think that while the words "nothing is true, everything is permitted" were never uttered in the whole game, I think it was done on purpose, precisely to show how far the Colonial Assassins have sunk into hard times. Also, while these lines were never said, Connor's entire story is a metaphor for it. Nothing is as it seems, his closest friends could just as easily be his worst enemies, and those he considered enemies could be completely innocent, even if they're still total asses. Connor also learns, in a very hard way, that every action has a consequence, and that he must own up to the consequences of his actions, both good and bad.
#10CitizenWolfiePosted 12/9/2012 11:02:23 AM
TC, I completely agree. It was something I noticed throughout the game and after completing the story today I my opinion on it only got stronger.

It's weird, at first I was desperate to get rid of Haytham and into Connor's boots. But as the game went on I found myself wishing I could have played as Haytham instead. He felt like the only real link to the series' story of Templars vs Assassins as nobody else seemed to mention it.

I used to get frustrated whenever Haytham showed up in missions. He'd show up and hint about the Templars' grand scheme for the soon-to-be USA and it felt like his actions were important. But every damn time, Connor would end up going "Hurrr, me no care about plans, me kill Charles Lee."

Long story short, I wish there had been more focus on Templar conspiracies (such as the Truth missions in AC2/AC:B) and less about Connor's personal vendetta. Even though AC2 was a revenge story, it felt like Ezio realised he was part of something bigger than himself.
---
When there is no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth...