Point of convoys?

#1baraka manPosted 1/20/2013 5:54:21 PM
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the point of conveys. I sent one out during the story, it got attacked and I have no clue how to save it. Sent another one out myself full of pelts but then went in the general store and noticed I could sell the rest so I did. So my question is how do I save the convey if it is attacked and what is the point of them if I can sell all my pelts at once in a general store? Thanks for the answers in advance.
#2FetulovesACPosted 1/20/2013 6:23:47 PM
The point of convoys is that you make a ton more selling beaver and bear pelts through them than at the general store. For example, I could get 160 myself, or I can get 544 through a land convoy to the right merchant (or more, once I unlock the other merchants by visiting them, I'm only on Sequence 4 in a replay). Sell 3 pelts (before upgrade, with upgrades the number goes up and up) for about 1600. Quite a profit, even if I bought them off Miriam.

As for saving them--if you have recruits, you can press L2 and [] and assign them to go rescue your convoy. If you don't have recruits, hightail it into the Frontier to find where it is and go rescue it yourself. I believe you've got about 5 minutes to do so.

Personally, I've not had a convoy attacked because I clear out the forts (put them in Patriot hands) before I send any out.

Oh, and while wandering the Frontier, look for Templar convoys. They can be nice to raid too. And if you do it bare-handed, there's a trophy for that.
#3FetulovesACPosted 1/20/2013 6:24:01 PM
The point of convoys is that you make a ton more selling beaver and bear pelts through them than at the general store. For example, I could get 160 myself, or I can get 544 through a land convoy to the right merchant (or more, once I unlock the other merchants by visiting them, I'm only on Sequence 4 in a replay). Sell 3 pelts (before upgrade, with upgrades the number goes up and up) for about 1600. Quite a profit, even if I bought them off Miriam.

As for saving them--if you have recruits, you can press L2 and [] and assign them to go rescue your convoy. If you don't have recruits, hightail it into the Frontier to find where it is and go rescue it yourself. I believe you've got about 5 minutes to do so.

Personally, I've not had a convoy attacked because I clear out the forts (put them in Patriot hands) before I send any out.

Oh, and while wandering the Frontier, look for Templar convoys. They can be nice to raid too. And if you do it bare-handed, there's a trophy for that.
#4FetulovesACPosted 1/20/2013 6:24:58 PM
Sorry for the double post. Sometimes my blasted computer hiccups. *grumble*
#5CharpandaV1Posted 1/20/2013 6:27:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6NubaruPosted 1/20/2013 6:27:38 PM
I've only sent 3 Convoys for a Trophy and haven't bothered messing with em again. I'm able to generate Money Quickly and there's not much to buy.
---
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a**... and I'm all out of bubblegum..." - Nada (Roddy Piper)
#7baraka man(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 6:42:51 PM
I looked up the convoy symbol in the map screen but do not see it anywhere in the frontier. Do I have to reveal more of the map to find it? It has also been way longer than four minutes and the convoy still says it is under attack.
#8FetulovesACPosted 1/21/2013 9:02:06 AM
baraka man posted...
I looked up the convoy symbol in the map screen but do not see it anywhere in the frontier. Do I have to reveal more of the map to find it? It has also been way longer than four minutes and the convoy still says it is under attack.

Then it's one of the better known glitches in the game. It's just attacked and will remain attacked forever and there's nothing you can do about it for this game.

Build another convoy and send it.

Hopefully you got the Thanksgiving patch which fixes this problem, so it won't be a problem in the next game (assuming you replay).