Origin of a Name *SPOILERS*

#1drummer131Posted 1/24/2013 6:37:10 AM
I beat the game two days ago, but the part of the ending that affected me the most is the part I'm still thinking about today.

We all know that way back in Sequence 5, Achilles gives Connor his adopted name. Seemingly out of the blue, he comes up with that name, and we just end up going with it. In the back of my mind, though, I always wondered where the name came from.

Fast forward to the end of Sequence 12 and we finally discover the name's origin. I am wondering what others think about this: Do you believe that Connor is learning this name's origin at the same time us players are, or do you think that at some point in all those years, Achilles had spoken with Connor about his wife and son and thus revealed that he named Connor after his own deceased son?

Until this morning, I thought that whole reaction Connor has upon seeing the gravestones was one of "oh my gosh, Achilles, I can't believe you did that." Now, I'm thinking it's just Connor feeling momentarily hesitant in regards to opening the grave.
#2pk1154Posted 1/24/2013 7:16:18 AM
Achilles never even showed Connor the portrait, which makes me think he had never talked to Connor about his family or what happened to them. Connor should have figured out where Achilles got that name soon after his death and burial, at the very least. (Connor's naive and not a really deep thinker, but he isn't stupid.)

Still, it would be an incredibly emotionally charged moment in to use Connor's grave to hide the Key. Enough to give one pause.
---
We're having a great time: food, wine, a little personal abuse, and the universe going foom.
#3VenomSnakePosted 1/24/2013 8:15:35 AM
Connor is too flat of a character to have a reaction to anything like that, unfortunately.
---
Eric (formerly er51 & er51 is back)
GameFAQs. It's like an RPG with levels and trolls and everything. - Aquatakat on DOS/Windows General
#4NerantePosted 1/24/2013 6:15:35 PM
The graves are near Achilles's mansion, right? If so, Connor probably found it sometime but we just didn't know it so that it could be a surprise at the end.
---
This signature intentionally left blank.
#5drummer131(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:59:45 PM
Nerante posted...
The graves are near Achilles's mansion, right? If so, Connor probably found it sometime but we just didn't know it so that it could be a surprise at the end.

The funny thing is I ran around that manor so many times just as part of exploring or running off in different directions to go hunting or whatever and I never came across those gravestones. I'm actually glad I didn't accidentally run into them beforehand. That was one of the best parts of the ending for me.
#6JSCaspianPosted 1/24/2013 7:24:09 PM(edited)
You might like this. It's an unused file extraction where Achilles talks to Connor about his family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21DpeiU6uo

And that was one of my favorite parts of the ending too. Unlike most people on this board, I actually really liked Connor, and I certainly don't think he's "too flat" of a character to not have a reaction to the discovery of the origin of his name. This is the video of him burying the amulet in Connor Davenport's grave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyrBNBikpLg

The camera cuts to the name (for a while to make sure the connection sinks in) and then back to Connor's face. His eyes widen and his mouth opens in shock at the discovery, then he briefly looks toward the sky -- possibly to the heavens at Achilles -- and finally, he looks left at Achilles' grave, heartfelt that the Old Man would choose to bestow him with his son's name, and his expression becomes one of sadness as he is reminded of his mentor's death. That's how I interpret it.
---
"I love criticism just so long as it's unqualified praise." Noel Coward
#7drummer131(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:00:53 AM
JSCaspian posted...
You might like this. It's an unused file extraction where Achilles talks to Connor about his family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21DpeiU6uo

And that was one of my favorite parts of the ending too. Unlike most people on this board, I actually really liked Connor, and I certainly don't think he's "too flat" of a character to not have a reaction to the discovery of the origin of his name. This is the video of him burying the amulet in Connor Davenport's grave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyrBNBikpLg

The camera cuts to the name (for a while to make sure the connection sinks in) and then back to Connor's face. His eyes widen and his mouth opens in shock at the discovery, then he briefly looks toward the sky -- possibly to the heavens at Achilles -- and finally, he looks left at Achilles' grave, heartfelt that the Old Man would choose to bestow him with his son's name, and his expression becomes one of sadness as he is reminded of his mentor's death. That's how I interpret it.

Sounds rather lame and totally nerdy, but I've been working on a Word doc that contains all of these inquisitive Q&As I've been having with this board. Here's what I have in regards to this particular question...

""There ARE different versions of the final cutscene of Sequence 12, when Connor buries the amulet. Achilles' final two Homestead missions CAN be accessed at the start of Sequence 11 (supposing all other Homestead missions have already been completed) and completed prior to the start of Sequence 12. WHICH MEANS, there is the potential for players to see Achilles ailing at the start of Sequence 11 and witness his passing and funeral before Sequence 12.

Several possibilities exist, then. Might Achilles have ever spoken to Connor about his wife and son in all those years? If so, did he ever mention that his son's name was Connor? If yes to both (YY), then Connor's reaction when just prior to burying the amulet is one of temporary hesitation, as he contemplates what he's about to do with Connor Davenport's grave. If yes to the former and no to the latter (YN), then Connor's reaction may simultaneously be one of temporary hesitation and shock, as he finally realizes where Achilles' adopted name for him originated. If no to the former as well (NN), then Connor's reaction is doubly one of simultaneous hesitation and shock, heavy on the shock, methinks.

Now add to this, the factor of whether or not the player has already witnessed Achilles' passing at the time of first beating the game. If Achilles is still alive, then Connor can have this moment of hesitation and/or shock and then go back inside the manor to talk to Achilles about what he just did/discovered (YY, YN, NN). If Achilles has passed, and Connor did not already know where his adopted name came from (YN, NN), then I have to assume that he would have felt exactly as I felt when I first watched that scene: total heartbreak. Nearly right from the start, Achilles had been treating Connor like his own son.""
#8drummer131(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:06:35 AM
@JSCaspian

I am so glad that I am not the only person who really enjoyed Connor. I hope we see more of him, to be completely honest. I think that the people who dislike him are people who didn't let the gravity of all the different elements of the story, both separately and combined as a whole, sink in. I had far more of an emotional reaction to Connor's story than anything that happened in any of Ezio's three (and I did feel emotional towards some stuff in AC2). If you stop to really think about the scope and scale of the story, Connor's story is very impactful.

I don't know. Maybe you and I just really "GOT" him.
#9JSCaspianPosted 1/25/2013 2:52:12 PM
drummer131 posted...
JSCaspian posted...

Sounds rather lame and totally nerdy, but I've been working on a Word doc that contains all of these inquisitive Q&As I've been having with this board. Here's what I have in regards to this particular question...

""There ARE different versions of the final cutscene of Sequence 12, when Connor buries the amulet. Achilles' final two Homestead missions CAN be accessed at the start of Sequence 11 (supposing all other Homestead missions have already been completed) and completed prior to the start of Sequence 12. WHICH MEANS, there is the potential for players to see Achilles ailing at the start of Sequence 11 and witness his passing and funeral before Sequence 12.

Several possibilities exist, then. Might Achilles have ever spoken to Connor about his wife and son in all those years? If so, did he ever mention that his son's name was Connor? If yes to both (YY), then Connor's reaction when just prior to burying the amulet is one of temporary hesitation, as he contemplates what he's about to do with Connor Davenport's grave. If yes to the former and no to the latter (YN), then Connor's reaction may simultaneously be one of temporary hesitation and shock, as he finally realizes where Achilles' adopted name for him originated. If no to the former as well (NN), then Connor's reaction is doubly one of simultaneous hesitation and shock, heavy on the shock, methinks.

Now add to this, the factor of whether or not the player has already witnessed Achilles' passing at the time of first beating the game. If Achilles is still alive, then Connor can have this moment of hesitation and/or shock and then go back inside the manor to talk to Achilles about what he just did/discovered (YY, YN, NN). If Achilles has passed, and Connor did not already know where his adopted name came from (YN, NN), then I have to assume that he would have felt exactly as I felt when I first watched that scene: total heartbreak. Nearly right from the start, Achilles had been treating Connor like his own son.""

I think the canon version would be if Achilles passed before sequence 12, because that means you would have done every homestead mission in the correct order.
---
"I love criticism just so long as it's unqualified praise." Noel Coward