So I have finally finished the game (End game spoilers)

#1DemonReacherPosted 1/29/2013 8:59:54 PM
What a letdown. What an anticlimatic ending, you would think in this day and age, with the market share and budget ubi now has for AC, that they would have given us something worth what we paid for.

Now I tried to stay positive after Revelations. I said at the start of each game since Brotherhood that they would be linear crap with the devs holding our hands throughout the game, but for this game, I held my tounge and stayed optimistic.

But no, they just couldnt help themselves. The main assassinations once again were a huge letdown, and what we are left with is small bite sized missions that have little substance or thought put into them, little room for creativity. Its essentially an interactive movie. The combat has somehow gotten worse, it feels clunky and there is no thrill at all but thats another topic.

What I want to talk about is main assassinations. The first one, Johnathan, in the Frontier was actually alright, you had some basic choice on how to approach his house and the atmosphere and setting was pretty cool. But the rest, man you cant even call those gameplay.

Most of the main assassinations seemed to take place in cutscenes, with Connor just walking boldly up to the armed forces and then slipping away thanks to gross incompetancy held by the guards. And what was up with the huge disregard for stealth, let alone social stealth in missions? Both Connor and Desmond just walk up to their enemies and fight their way through, how boring was that?

Which finally leads me to the biggest let down in the series, Vidics death. Wtf was that? I remember since AC1 people were speculating on what the Desmond sequences would be like. What do we finally get, after years of anticipation? All of Abstergos best forces, some pathetic security guards who prefer to use fists and sticks over guns, trying to take out Desmond, who just strolls in, who decides to use the apple at the last second to kill Vidic in a GODDAMN CUTSCENE, I MEAN WHY DIDNT VIDIC EVEN THINK ABOUT DESMOND USING THE APPLE? WHAT KIND OF TASTELESS, HALFASSED JOB WAS THIS?
---
MGS3 Ghost Run: Foxhound Rank: Official Ghost Runner of MGS
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4D335DDB9C9BAEDD&feature=plcp
#2StaleCrackersPosted 1/29/2013 10:17:33 PM
Everything you say has been considered satire, so your entire post is null and void.
#3SlipSkullPosted 1/29/2013 10:46:51 PM(edited)
But the worst part is, he's completely right.

Every significant event in this game was horribly underplayed. Especially Vidic's death and the end of the Revolution as well as the whole "you just saved/enslaved the ENTIRE F$#ING WORLD...." bit.
Even with all that, my biggest gripe is the continuity, between costume changes meaning nothing in cut-scenes to me fighting rebels and having to act like their redcoats by the end of it all.
The worst part of it all, for me personally; Was that the whole "Assassin brotherhood" was completely non-existant. Some ragtag guys help Connor fight redcoats is about as much of a brotherhood that you get. There was no "establishing" a brotherhood in the new world to ensure that people didn't get all "freedom drunk." They just kinda throw some characters into the mix and some old guy tells you about his stabbing days.

I dunno, there was such a great idea here and it just seems like they took shout-outs from anyone in the office who wanted to throw something in.
---
Panda Pounce!
PSN: Rhaazerus
#4NarutoPosted 1/29/2013 11:02:15 PM
I suspect that they're planning a trilogy of Connor games, but too bad he's the most boring person in the whole series. Altair was dull, but Connor takes it to a new level. He's about as enthusiastic as those decades-old educational science videos your teach played when he or she didn't feel like teaching.
#5DemonReacher(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 12:20:38 AM
Yeah I didnt really feel like I was rebuilding a brotherhood again. Halfway through the game it dawned on me that Connor just might be the last assassin in the world left, their entire cause was almost completely dropped. I got a little excited when I realised that Connor must be the one to completely rebuild the order and get us back to where we are in the present day. Boy was I wrong about that, it was basically just a huge vengence trip that we have all seen before with Ezios family.

I also don't understand Desmonds decision, out of the two options he chose to save the world but let it be enslaved by Juno, as opposed to starting a fresh and letting the people have free will, which is what the Assassins are all about. So why did he choose the Templar option???!! Wtf is this?

I thought it was cool how the Assassins and Templar war was actually significant because whichever side found the temple, would have the right to choose either Minerva or Juno. But no, Desmond just randomly picks Juno without even really telling us why. Wtf?

Also how exactly did he stop the solar flare? We are fed this huge story while travelling through the temple about how TWCB were unable to stop the solar flare in their time. Even with their superior intelligence and technology they were unable to save a single city. However they stumble upon a solution... TO SACRIFICE DESMOND INTO GLOWING THING AND SURROUND EARTH IN GREEN LIGHT. OF COURSE.

WTF????
---
MGS3 Ghost Run: Foxhound Rank: Official Ghost Runner of MGS
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4D335DDB9C9BAEDD&feature=plcp
#6zenandiPosted 1/30/2013 12:30:50 AM
DemonReacher posted...
I also don't understand Desmonds decision, out of the two options he chose to save the world but let it be enslaved by Juno, as opposed to starting a fresh and letting the people have free will, which is what the Assassins are all about. So why did he choose the Templar option???!! Wtf is this?

You forgot the part where 'starting afresh' means casualties in the billions, reboot of civilization etc etc... It's actually an easy choice for anyone with human compassion, whereas the other choice literally is the cold-hearted idealistic a-life-without-free-will-is-not-worth-living bullc***.

Agree with everything else you said.

And remind me, who's Johnathan?! Forgettable game is forgettable...
#7guimond777Posted 1/30/2013 4:25:57 AM
The Ezio trilogy set the bar WAY too high for the AC Franchise IMO. It's going to be extremely hard to top the great story of Ezio.

This game suffers from 2 things in my opinion. 1) Conner is an idiot with little backstory and purpose. (Especially compared to Ezio? no comparison). And 2) It seems as if AC3 focused more on side-missions and it took away from the main plot.

Look at AC2 for example. You had the 100 feathers quest, Courier Missions, and Assassins missions. Thats it. (I believe). AC3? You have feathers, trinkets, naval missions, assassins missions, curiour missions, liberation missions, fort missions, homestead missions, frontier missions, the entire trading/goods creating system, the hunting system, the gambling system, amongst many more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for content in a game, but only when it doesn't take away from the "bigger picture". But sadly, I feel AC3 does just that. More time was spent developing the 1,000 different side quests then focusing in on the actual story and the main character. And I think, at the end of the day, that's why so many people feel dissatisfied when then finish AC3. The meat and bones of the game is in its side quests and collecting, and not in the actual characters and story. And considering this followed up a gem of a trilogy with Ezio makes the game look even worse, IMO.
#8Sol4688Posted 1/30/2013 5:40:05 AM
How do people miss the whole "VIDIC WANTS HIM ALIVE" part that the game makes glaringly obvious?

Yes, the guards won't use guns. Because a dead Desmond is no use to him.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
#9ukeguy808Posted 1/30/2013 6:16:47 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10ukeguy808Posted 1/30/2013 6:22:10 AM
DemonReacher posted...

He didn't want to start fresh because he would be like a new Jesus and people in the future would use his words and teachings as an excuse for sacrifice and control like what already happened, so instead of repeating history Desmond gave humanity a chance to stop Juno and free themselves
---
We work in the dark to serve the light. We are Assassins. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Official Yusuf Tazim of the AC3 boards