What did they do!? - Why So Awkward

#1DeepThroat0Posted 1/31/2013 1:03:37 AM
I just finished playing through the entire series in order to refresh myself on the the story and play Brotherhood and Revelation, which I had not played yet, in order to get to this game.

I booted it up to find that everything has been changed. The controls are different, the characters always look like they are facing diagonally when they walk, there is no more happy medium for running (it's all or nothing), the motion capture overall is horrible (where did all the data from the previous games go? Couldn't they just have used that?), characters look like they have stuffed armpits causing them to walk with their arms out as if they are balancing (ahem Desmond). Speaking of Desmond, why does he look and act like he is mentally handicapped in this game, he even walks like it (as mentioned)? I thought he was walking funny because he just woke up or something (as he was not speaking either during an awkward portion of the opening).

What did they do? The character models do not necessarily look better than Revelations (which continued a trend of increased detail). They are just shiny and smooth, which doesn't make any sense.

This franchise had great controls and a great engine. Why are they screwing with it? It feels like a different game with the same idea as Assassins Creed. So far this is a huge let down and it is going to be really hard to get past.
---
Reconnect. Kingdom Hearts.
#2PARAMYTASPosted 1/31/2013 1:28:34 AM
"What did they do?"

Answer: They created a new AC game.

"The character models do not necessarily look better than Revelations (which continued a trend of increased detail). They are just shiny and smooth, which doesn't make any sense."

Answer: How is it that shiny and smooth? You want shiny and smooth go play Heavy Rain. That is shiny and smooth. Anyways, that's your OPINION of the graphics and nothing more. We got that you hated AC3 after the first three sentences but, as typical internet trolls would have it..........you kept going and kept going and would not shut up. So........here we are.

"This franchise had great controls and a great engine. Why are they screwing with it? It feels like a different game with the same idea as Assassins Creed. So far this is a huge let down and it is going to be really hard to get past."

Answer: Once again, your opinion. This game closely resembles the Batman Arkham games in terms of fighting which is always a very good thing. Hell, they stylized and modified it just enough where it actually has improved upon the Arkham City mechanic. So, to answer your question how they are generally "screwing" with it (I say improving it) because, when it comes down to it this isn't going to be looked at as a clone for AC2. This is AC3. You can rather join the true fans of the series and adapt or you can go to the corner of the room where your computer is located and cry and rant all you want to about how they changed the fighting to a horrible design which, by the way is simply ignorant to even state. Enjoy your huge letdown. I'll be over here enjoying my second playthough.
---
It's not the games fault you have the attention span of a squirrel.
#34nationfuryPosted 1/31/2013 1:47:25 AM
PARAMYTAS posted...
"What did they do?"

"The character models do not necessarily look better than Revelations (which continued a trend of increased detail). They are just shiny and smooth, which doesn't make any sense."

Answer: How is it that shiny and smooth? You want shiny and smooth go play Heavy Rain. That is shiny and smooth. Anyways, that's your OPINION of the graphics and nothing more. We got that you hated AC3 after the first three sentences but, as typical internet trolls would have it..........you kept going and kept going and would not shut up. So........here we are.

"This franchise had great controls and a great engine. Why are they screwing with it? It feels like a different game with the same idea as Assassins Creed. So far this is a huge let down and it is going to be really hard to get past."

Answer: Once again, your opinion. This game closely resembles the Batman Arkham games in terms of fighting which is always a very good thing. Hell, they stylized and modified it just enough where it actually has improved upon the Arkham City mechanic. So, to answer your question how they are generally "screwing" with it (I say improving it) because, when it comes down to it this isn't going to be looked at as a clone for AC2. This is AC3. You can rather join the true fans of the series and adapt or you can go to the corner of the room where your computer is located and cry and rant all you want to about how they changed the fighting to a horrible design which, by the way is simply ignorant to even state. Enjoy your huge letdown. I'll be over here enjoying my second playthough.

Um, I don't particuarly agree with him/her (though Desmond does walk funny), but him/her giving a long rant does not make them a troll. You admit they have an opinion, but then call them wrong for having one that does not agree with yours. Didn't anyone ever tell you opinions are subjective things? Them feeling the gameplay is now horrible does not make them ignorant. It just means they think differently than you or me.

And true fans don't have to enjoy every title in the series. Plenty of genuine fans have been sorely disappointed with the changes apparent in the latest of their favorite franchise.
#4PARAMYTASPosted 1/31/2013 2:36:52 AM
4nationfury posted...
PARAMYTAS posted...
"What did they do?"

Um, I don't particuarly agree with him/her (though Desmond does walk funny), but him/her giving a long rant does not make them a troll. You admit they have an opinion, but then call them wrong for having one that does not agree with yours. Didn't anyone ever tell you opinions are subjective things? Them feeling the gameplay is now horrible does not make them ignorant. It just means they think differently than you or me.

And true fans don't have to enjoy every title in the series. Plenty of genuine fans have been sorely disappointed with the changes apparent in the latest of their favorite franchise.

1. Never once did I type the words "Your wrong" in my reply. "Your opinion" yes but don't put words in my mouth or in this case attempt to type them out for me Mr. Random Person Online. That does not bold well with me.
2. Ranting is different from trolling, your correct. Ranting on a board of rants becomes trolling after one individual is to damn lazy to look at the one hundred other posts featuring the same exact thing that he is ranting about. It eventually becomes more of a nuisance than anything and it causes replies to answers to not be taken as seriously. Basically, we will view his comments like he views the game. Don't mind us if we rant on his comments like he does the game Mr. Random Person Online. It is what it is.
3. As a true fan of AC in general, I'm sorry for your loss of love for the series. I personally enjoy the direction it's going and will praise the game in more ways than you can degrade (if you attempt to) it but that's just me.
---
#54nationfuryPosted 1/31/2013 3:12:12 AM(edited)
PARAMYTAS posted...

1. Never once did I type the words "Your wrong" in my reply. "Your opinion" yes but don't put words in my mouth or in this case attempt to type them out for me Mr. Random Person Online. That does not bold well with me.
2. Ranting is different from trolling, your correct. Ranting on a board of rants becomes trolling after one individual is to damn lazy to look at the one hundred other posts featuring the same exact thing that he is ranting about. It eventually becomes more of a nuisance than anything and it causes replies to answers to not be taken as seriously. Basically, we will view his comments like he views the game. Don't mind us if we rant on his comments like he does the game Mr. Random Person Online. It is what it is.
3. As a true fan of AC in general, I'm sorry for your loss of love for the series. I personally enjoy the direction it's going and will praise the game in more ways than you can degrade (if you attempt to) it but that's just me.

1. My mistake. I interpreted the whole "your opinion" followed by the argument and use of the word "ignorant' as you stating they are wrong. That was my train of thought there, incorrect as it was.

2. It is a nuisance. But they still don't fit the typical definition of a troll. A troll would usually be someone who comes online to mess with people, flames to start fights, or derails threads. I doubt it means someone too lazy to check forum history for posts similar to their own.

3. I never said I lost my love for Assassin's Creed. I have my problems with AC III, but I view it favorably overall. That's why I stated the OP thinks differently than you and ME.
#64nationfuryPosted 1/31/2013 3:11:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7PARAMYTASPosted 1/31/2013 3:17:16 AM
4nationfury posted...
PARAMYTAS posted...

1. My mistake. I interpreted the whole "your opinion" followed by the argument and name calling of "ignorant' as you stating they are wrong. That was my train of thought there, incorrect as it was.

2. It is a nuisance. But they still don't fit the typical definition of a troll. A troll would usually be someone who comes online to mess with people, flames to start fights, or derails threads. I doubt it means someone too lazy to check forum history for posts similar to their own.

3. I never said I lost my love for Assassin's Creed. I have my problems with AC III, but I view it favorably overall. That's why I stated the OP thinks differently than you and ME.

1. Forgiven though I find it amusing how you are not attempting to degrade or lecture the TC for his opinions yet when I state my own, you attempt to give me a lecture about it like one of those five minute promos on Saturday Morning Cartoon shows like not how to do drugs. Makes me think that you are the TC in some cases.

2. Your definition of troll and my definition of troll are slightly different so we will agree to disagree on this. I think of a troll as a nuisance. This is a nuisance.

3. Agreed.
---
#84nationfuryPosted 1/31/2013 4:09:10 AM(edited)
PARAMYTAS posted...

1. Forgiven though I find it amusing how you are not attempting to degrade or lecture the TC for his opinions yet when I state my own, you attempt to give me a lecture about it like one of those five minute promos on Saturday Morning Cartoon shows like not how to do drugs. Makes me think that you are the TC in some cases.

I've had my disagreements with opinions such as their own. I just felt, in this case, they were being a bit cruelly attacked, being accused of being a troll and called ignorant.

Anyways, I assure you I'm not the TC (Someone better recognize me). For one, I've posted on these boards for months now, years if you count the previous game boards.

Below: Me being a jerk to someone posting the same cliched complaint in the same "underdog" fashion everyone does:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/621796-assassins-creed-iii/65292600

I also disagree with most of the OP's points, such as graphics. I see no shine on the characters, other than what's expected of natural sunlight. I just have to agree that Desmond has a weird walking posture compared to previous games, Connor too.
#94nationfuryPosted 1/31/2013 4:15:15 AM
Anyway, I'm finished here. My argument stands, though I apologize for overdoing it on the lecturing. I admittedly got a bit irritated with some of the things said. Well, just play nice. Later.
#10DeepThroat0(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 10:30:03 AM(edited)
Wow, I had to outlet some of my frustrations about the game I was experiencing. Every time I do this it seems that other people carry it on.

Anyways I have since made it to the beginning of sequence 5. I am going to say SPOILER ALERT now for all those reading who have not gotten this far.

Having played as Raton (Conner) I have discovered that the problem with Desmond's walk is that it the motion capture was built for Raton. While playing as him it looks great and not awkward. However, this game, like the others, uses that same set of data to animate Desmond and it is here that it just doesn't translate.

I still do not like the controls (I really wish they would not have left the sub weapon system from Brotherhood. It was so easy to use a blade and have a long range weapon easily accessible) but I am dealing. There still needs to be a jog speed of movement. Why they changed the whole running system was to make tree hopping actually work. Before we had easy definable geometric shapes to jump towards but now, as you run through the highly detailed woods, it would have been a really slow and clunky having to manually jump towards every branch, uncertain if you could even land on it.

As far as the shiny thing, just replay the Hathaway sequences and look at his face during cut scenes. It is oddly shiny.

Speaking of Hathaway, wow! What a twist! I was wondering why he seemed a little odd. I do have a problem with the plot so far in that no one is surprised about anything. Raton's mom knew about Hathaway, Raton knew. It seems the only disbelief is in the person playing the game. The characters have hardly any emotion so far. All the characters already know everything that is going on. Why? How does Raton know his dad? Did his mom tell him? How did she know? What was that book he was reading?

The twist created a lot of questions (the answers to which would have allowed for some character development) that were not given attention, they were just brushed off in passing.
---
Reconnect. Kingdom Hearts.