Artifact Assault: I stink and need tips

#1celc5Posted 2/1/2013 9:56:16 AM
I'm in one of those silly clans. I'm a decent DeathMatch player. Therefore, my clan-mates automatically assumed that I should be able to contribute in AA. I'm gonna be honest with myself, I'm not meeting those expectations for my clan.

So far, I think I understand the AA premise. But my methods are juvenile, at best. So I'll start with some basic topics and hope to get into more detail as the thread progresses.

1. When are the RIGHT times to make offensive runs?
2. When should I be staying back on defense?
#2KazuoMitarashiPosted 2/1/2013 10:07:34 AM
Take my advice with a grain of salt, I've done very well and very bad in AA.

I've tried offense only, defence only, and both in one set. I'm only comfortable with offense only.

Whether you're offense or defense, always assess the situation. Okay, There's 3 enemies in my territory and all my teammates are at the enemies territory. In this case, it might be smart to stay and attempt to defend as best as you can. That's just one example.

For an offensive set, I use Animus Shield to block them when I hear them locking on to try to knife or pistol me down after I've stolen the artifact. I use smoke in case I'm getting chased, I can throw it down to hopefully stop them so I can keep running. Finally, I use knives for many reasons: Slow down an enemy who stole our artifact, slow down an enemy chasing a teammate with the artifact, throw it at an enemy guarding their base then run by and steal it.

As for defense, tripwire almost seems like a must have to me. I'm not sure about the second ability. And either knife or pistol works.

Also, for offensive. I recommend going into playground and testing out some good routes to run after you've stolen the artifact so you're not blowing your brain out mid-game when you're getting chased by 3 guys and you have no idea what a good path to take is.

Also note, the only way to win in artifact assault is by capturing the artifact. Even if everyone on the enemy team has 20,000 points, it doesn't matter if they don't have any artifact captures, they'll still lose.
---
PSN: KazuoMitarashi / Currently Playing:
AC3 (3rd Prestige), Borderlands 2 (Siren), DmC, SSBB, Zelda, and Halo 4
#3CharpandaV1Posted 2/1/2013 10:44:35 AM
Here read this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/628357-assassins-creed-revelations/62253264

I realize it's not the same game, and that AA is radically different now, but some tips can still be taken from there.... I hope.

AA is my mode of preference, and I'm pretty good at it if I say so myself. Blaze (who's in that topic) has also turned into a really good player after being a DM junkie. And rhb, who contributed in that topic is also a great AA player.

Whenever I get on a computer I'll try to make a longer, more detailed post. Phone sucks for this.
---
"...Pretty much boosting your boosting"-- DeliciousJello
Official Daniel Cross of the ACIII boards
#4Blaze21Posted 2/1/2013 11:08:13 AM(edited)
I had the same problem when I first started AA. I too was a Deathmatch player, and crossing over was difficult. Looking back on it, experience is the best way to get good at it. Learning the maps and finding routes you're comfortable with is good. I do that more instinctively though then having a set route I take in particular. I tend to do it spur of the moment. If you're having a hard time scoring cause the other team is defending, try to vary which way you go in.

I've found that (or have been told that) I play better when I do a combination of gameplay. Where I score/defend at the same time, as opposed to trying to do one or the other. If I'm about to steal the artifact and the opposing team has it and is about to score, I wait a few seconds and kill them before stealing it myself, things like that.

Having a group of people you play with regularly helps too. They get to know your play style and can back you up, offer tips on improvement, etc.

Overall, I tend to stick with Smoke (Rapid Reload), Teleport (Fast Acting), Knives(rapid reload) and Boost Cooldowns (though the loss streak is no where near as useful as it was in Revelations). Sometimes I do Smoke/Teleport and Animus Shield when the other team has tons of tripwire bombs down. I always have Enhanced Autobash equipped. Overall cooldowns helps as well.

I typically resign myself to dying the first 2-4 runs, getting a feel for how the other side is defending. Once I get their main spots mapped out, I knife one, run in and try to make it for a nearby chase breaker before teleporting. If I get knifed before I get out of the base, then I throw down smoke and teleport out. Sometimes, I may even teleport in and then run out. It works at times cause it takes a few moments for them to get you as a contract. Sometimes it's enough of a gap to get out with it.

Of course, hundreds of things can (and do) go wrong. But I typically only run into major problems when literally the entire other team is defending. Then my teammates and I all charge in together. 1 will steal it, get killed, the others smoke/knife and stun/contest them all and someone else slips in and runs with it.

My best advice is to just get a good group you play with on a regular basis (you said you have a clan you've joined). Let them know you're not that good and to ask for advice and to help you out as much as they can. They won't mind if they're decent players. If they do, then you don't want to be playing with them anyway.

EDIT
I see panda beat me here. I thought about linking to that topic, but wasn't sure it had enough info to be super helpful. At the time, the advice given was extremely helpful. Reading it probably wouldn't hurt. Panda is also a really good player. We could probably play a few sessions together if you want. I've been meaning to pick up AC again now that I've finished Okami.
---
I found that highly offensive
Official Aveline de Grandpre of the ACIII boards
#5SK00DXPosted 2/1/2013 11:19:37 AM
AA is my favourite mode in MP.
Here's a tip that helped me a lot in this mode(in Revelations); I always run on rooftops whenever I go to steal, also as the above poster said you should check the whole map to know the best routes/paths to score.
---
~<Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You.>~
PSN:Skylark97
#6Blaze21Posted 2/1/2013 11:27:41 AM
SK00DX posted...
Here's a tip that helped me a lot in this mode(in Revelations); I always run on rooftops whenever I go to steal, also as the above poster said you should check the whole map to know the best routes/paths to score.

This is what Panda does, but it takes practice, imo. LOTS of practice. I typically avoid the roof unless I know for certain the other team isn't packing Pistol, or they don't roof themselves (so in other words, when I play against noobs). Otherwise, all it does is get me killed.

In my experience, it works if you know what you're doing.
---
I found that highly offensive
Official Aveline de Grandpre of the ACIII boards
#7CharpandaV1Posted 2/1/2013 5:36:57 PM
Blaze21 posted...
SK00DX posted...

This is what Panda does, but it takes practice, imo. LOTS of practice. I typically avoid the roof unless I know for certain the other team isn't packing Pistol, or they don't roof themselves (so in other words, when I play against noobs). Otherwise, all it does is get me killed.

In my experience, it works if you know what you're doing.

Whoa there, Panda NEVER does this.

Panda runs on rooftops whenever he already has it. Rooftops and getting it just don't match well together imo.

Tips on the next post!
---
#8CharpandaV1Posted 2/1/2013 6:46:49 PM(edited)
Ok, first let's talk sets:

Offensive sets:

For offense you need something that'll let you escape. Getting in isn't the problem unless a team has a couple of defenders or one very good one stationed somewhere where he can see people coming (more on this later).

Smoke/Teleport: Get the artifact, throw down your smoke, and teleport away (a bad idea, but more on this later). Or be smart, get the artifact, run away and once you know you have pursuers on you, throw your smoke to stop them. You should use teleport when behind a chase breaker or a rooftop. Honestly you shouldn't even use teleport as long as you can use good free running skills. It should be used when you're unsure of your pursuers whereabouts or when you're getting swarmed by the whole other team.

You could also mix it up with Animus Shield (Smoke/Animus Shield): It works wonders on tripwire users and blocks ranged abilities. If you use it though, be prepared to really run. Knowing the maps comes in handy here (more later).

I've also seen some people use Glimmer/Teleport. They use Glimmer near the base and get in. Once they have it they use teleport and get away. It's useful as it doesn't reveal you to pursuers (provided it lasts long enough, so craft it for duration). Of course the problem is that if your pursuer is observant they might see the silhouette you make when moving, they'll kill you before you even get to the artifact. Also, teleport makes a noise when activated, so if the pursuer is prepared, they can stop you from teleporting.

Animus Shield/Teleport is also a really fun set imo. I use it sometimes when I want to switch things up. Use AS as soon as you get the artifact and escape from the base. Get behind a chase breaker or on a roof and use teleport. The downside is that both abilities have huge cooldowns, so be mindful as to when you'll use them (as with any ability really). Try to limit your runs to one ability only, if you can. Or use both at once. Up to you really. I would recommend that for this particular set you focus on getting boost cooldowns, so you get your abilities over and over. This is to counteract the long cooldown times.

For your third ability, I'd recommend knives. For one, they can incapacitate your pursuers. Also, if you have the artifact and run by the person who has your team's artifact, you can knife them even with the artifact, so it helps out your teammates.

Now these sets are only the ones I've seen used for serious play. You can use whatever set you can come up with. Heck I've used Tripwire with smoke before, so it's whatever you want.

Let's talk perks: Always always always always ALWAYS have Unstoppable equipped if you're going for it!! (Did I say always? Sorry, I meant always). It literally saves lives. With that said, I recommend Overall cooldowns as your second perk... or whatever you want/whatever fits your needs best. Unstoppable is the only thing that really matter here.

Streak: Whatever you want.
Loss Streak: Boost Cooldowns. While not nearly as effective as in ACR (a stun will take it away -__-), it still helps out if all you're doing is dying.

I'll do defensive sets and general tips (hopefully!) on the next post
---
#9swordenthusiastPosted 2/2/2013 9:22:51 AM
I'd like to offer another suggestion for the perk used during an offensive run. Sixth sense is a lot more helpful than most people expect it to be. Knowing how many people are on your tail, knowing when someone is trying to cut you off at a different part of the map, seeing where people come running from that moment they get the alert that the flags been stolen. Knowing which routes are safe, which aren't, when to double back, when to just run like hell, when to hit every chasebreaker you can. It takes ALL the guess work out of successfully getting from their base to yours.
---
I won. -- Walter White
#10PootbirdPosted 2/2/2013 9:48:04 AM
Just get the atrifact, smoke then teleport

It's what all the pros do
---
PSN: Goldengeartwo
Official smoke hater of the ACIII boards!