Artifact Assault: I stink and need tips

#41KazuoMitarashiPosted 2/7/2013 6:55:03 PM
celc5 posted...
3. I played 1 round of DM for the first time in a few weeks. I got 10k and EV in a lobby with 5 other prestiged players. Now I know not all prestiges are created equal, but I expected to be rusty after focusing on Artifact lately. The opposite happened, it made DM seem really slow and quite easy. Anyone else experience this?

Always remember, Prestige means nothing. It only means the person plays a lot. It by no means they are good. I would say their Abstergo rank is what matters but that system is broken as well.
---
PSN: KazuoMitarashi / Currently Playing:
AC3 (4th Prestige), Borderlands 2 (Siren), DmC, SSBB, Zelda, Halo 4, and FE: Awakening
#42celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:40:05 AM
Blaze,
Regarding DM, you are totally right. One match doesn't say much at all. I just thought it was interesting the way it felt slowed down to me.

And since Panda asked, the competition were like Prestige 3-8ish. No big name DM studs that I recognized though. I'm on around 11pm eastern and the best DM players that are on regularly around that same time are Freaking_Paulette and LocalWin. In DM, I actually prefer playing against players that are clearly better than me for the challenge. In AA, I just want to score on occasion still AA :)

Panda,
I like the suggestion with top of the stairs on FW.
Where is the spot on Brewery that you use to annoy Blaze? :)

And, any other commentary on the Brewery map would be helpful. It seems like my paths are on Brewery are too predictable and I get cut off a lot. Or get stuck hiding when someone has a good viewpoint, which I realize is completely unproductive of course.
#43CharpandaV1Posted 2/8/2013 7:10:32 PM
celc5 posted...
Panda,
I like the suggestion with top of the stairs on FW.
Where is the spot on Brewery that you use to annoy Blaze? :)

And, any other commentary on the Brewery map would be helpful. It seems like my paths are on Brewery are too predictable and I get cut off a lot. Or get stuck hiding when someone has a good viewpoint, which I realize is completely unproductive of course.

Oh you misread the post. I meant that I don't know how it is that Blaze can stand defending from the base.

For NY Brewery, are you having problem getting in or out?
---
"...Pretty much boosting your boosting"-- DeliciousJello
Official Daniel Cross of the ACIII boards
#44celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 9:31:37 AM
CharpandaV1 posted...

Let's assume that I'm defending the smaller base in the barn-looking building and I'm playing offense to get the artifact at the larger base. I feel like I can get to my artifact from all 3 entry points. At the right by hopping in through the high window, through the main center entrance at the bottom of the staircase, or the far left via the "back" staircase. When I'm playing a good team, I tend to get picked off as soon as the I get the artifact.

1) Where do you believe are common spots for base defenders to hang out? ...other than the obvious blend group at the bottom of the stairs of course.

2) Where do they typically place tripwire bombs?

3) I prefer the escape route up the stairs over the huge brewery kettles. What is your escape route?

4) Do you believe ability sets are map dependent? I have been leaning on teleport in the brewery (medium activation, medium distance). I wonder if it's a map that lends well to teleport or if I'm just using teleport as crutch since my plan isn't polished.

*By the way, I totally understand all of the decision making is circumstantial and improvisational. But it helps me to have routes planned and then improvise off of that plan.
---
PSN: Pinched_Aloaf
AC3: AA, DM, Bonus Maps
#45CharpandaV1Posted 2/11/2013 6:54:55 PM
celc5 posted...
CharpandaV1 posted...

Let's assume that I'm defending the smaller base in the barn-looking building and I'm playing offense to get the artifact at the larger base. I feel like I can get to my artifact from all 3 entry points. At the right by hopping in through the high window, through the main center entrance at the bottom of the staircase, or the far left via the "back" staircase. When I'm playing a good team, I tend to get picked off as soon as the I get the artifact.

1) Where do you believe are common spots for base defenders to hang out? ...other than the obvious blend group at the bottom of the stairs of course.

2) Where do they typically place tripwire bombs?

3) I prefer the escape route up the stairs over the huge brewery kettles. What is your escape route?

4) Do you believe ability sets are map dependent? I have been leaning on teleport in the brewery (medium activation, medium distance). I wonder if it's a map that lends well to teleport or if I'm just using teleport as crutch since my plan isn't polished.

*By the way, I totally understand all of the decision making is circumstantial and improvisational. But it helps me to have routes planned and then improvise off of that plan.

1) I personally hate defending the spot you described. There's just too many entry points to encompass in your camera. That being said, you can have defenders in the blend group in the middle of the map (inside the artifact circle), in the blend group directly behind that one, and either of the two blend groups that are at the bottom of each staircase. On occasion there may be a person at the top of the stairs, in-between the two big canisters.

2) Tripwires are placed just outside the circle directly from the main entrance and at the opposite end directly from the bottom of the "back stairs", behind the artifact where the second blend group I mentioned is at, right on the step that leads to the high window, and at the little places between the two huge canisters since people like to escape from there.

3) I usually like to escape on top of the canisters, like you mentioned. It puts me parallel to my base while still getting me closer to it. I then go through the chase breaker at the top of the canisters, climb the cranes and drop in from above into my base from the opening above the entrance. The trick to this though is to align yourself on the right side, so that when you swing through the bars, you can land directly on the base. You should land in the corner of the circle. Otherwise you might land outside the circle and can be killed 2 inches from the base.

4) Sets aren't map-dependent at all. They're team-dependent. A good set can get you through any map if you know what route to take, any detours you should have, chase breakers along the route, etc. However, if you play against a good team, even your plans can be thrown into disarray. Keep that in mind. However, some abilities do tend to work better on certain maps. NY Brewery, since it's so darn small, can be easily traversed by using teleport. The trick is knowing when to use teleport: whether you want to use it to get into enemy territory because they defend the border; use it to get out as soon as you get the artifact because they're all camped out at the base, etc.
---
"...Pretty much boosting your boosting"-- DeliciousJello
Official Daniel Cross of the ACIII boards
#46celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 12:57:16 PM
wicked reply Panda! I can tell that took time and I appreciate it!

I like your brewery path over the cranes too. One thing I've seen lately is that good teams have someone chill on the barn rooftop waiting for me to hop straight off the cranes through the window. Ugh, it cuts off that entire side of the map. Suggestions?

In general I'm starting to be able to incorporate these strategies that we're discussing when I have a good team or versus newbs. Against tougher competition, I feel like a one trick pony, similar to what Blaze described in his thread that you linked. I follow a teammate toward the artifact, make it to the border, then teleport the rest of the way in. So, that's where I need to diversify my arsenal.

Panda,
I think this will be the most interesting part of this post for you.
I played in a group of decent players vs. team NBK last night. They had an unique team style where all 4 would attack our base. One player got the artifact then the other 3 would just fall back to the boarder.

Offensively, I would easily obtain the artifact while they were all in my zone. But the entire boarder was cut off by a rooftop wall on Boston Harbor when they would retreat. I say good for them for being clever and playing with a unique style. I give them a lot of credit for their plan and team work. One clanmate and I lost with 2 decent randoms like 6-3 but it was a fun match.
---
#47celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 8:53:44 AM
I'd like any info on how to "aim" teleport.

I get it right about 90% of the time. However, on occasion, I feel that I'm pointed in the wrong direction and still land in a good spot by blind luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
---
#48celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 11:21:00 AM
Bump for Blaze and Panda :)
---
#49Blaze21Posted 2/21/2013 11:16:06 AM
celc5 posted...
I'd like any info on how to "aim" teleport.

I get it right about 90% of the time. However, on occasion, I feel that I'm pointed in the wrong direction and still land in a good spot by blind luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Aiming teleport can be a bit tricky compared to AC:R. It definitely takes a bit of practice to get used to it. I'd actually like to hear Panda's thoughts on this myself, but I'll talk about my experience.

I currently have mine crafted at Fast Acting because I've found getting in and out quickly to be way more useful then distance. Especially when going against high level players.

That said, I've noticed that Teleport is not as forgiving in AC3. If you point in a direction and activate it, and based on the range alone, if where you'll end up landing will be inbetween a building or something, the game is obviously going to put you somewhere else. Sometimes it's in your favor, more often though it's not. I've noticed that it almost cuts short your teleport range. Example: Say your range is 5 meters and where you land will put you in a building, instead of bumping you forward 5.3 meters, it'll bump you back to 4.7 meters. However, I think if bumping you forward will be only 5.2 meters, then it may do that instead. Now, I don't know the exact mechanics behind this, but this is my guess based on what I've experienced.

Random fact: I once activated teleport literally facing a wall that is at the very border of the map. It was like it bounced me off the wall and put me somewhere behind where I was pointing towards. Almost like if you hit a ball on a wall and it bounces back at you and goes over your head, or like playing pool, etc. It didn't take me very far though as I think it counted the distance it took to get to the wall into it's calculation, or something along those lines (this maybe obvious to most people but it sort of surprised me).

Knowing that, you can sort of use it to your advantage. I myself almost always teleport at an angle/diagonal. This carries you farther, imo, then traveling straight.

Also, aiming is all a matter of where your camera is facing, it has nothing to do with which direction your character is facing. I think you know that already, but a lot of people make that mistake.

Another thing I've found, teleport can put you up higher then from where you teleported from. This happened to me once in New York Brewery. I teleported from the ground level and landed up onto the ledge right where the artifcat base is.

I know you wanted tips on how to aim it, but I honestly don't have any concrete ones. It just took me practice. I still sometimes get it wrong/land places I didn't expect to.

If anyone has anything to add, or knows any of the info I put here to be wrong, feel free to call me out.
---
I found that highly offensive
Official Aveline de Grandpre of the ACIII boards
#50celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 8:46:53 AM
Interesting points Blaze. I never really payed attention to the distance changing based on landing near a building when teleporting. After reading your post, I definitely noticed last night that it does make a difference when an obstacle is in the way of my landing point.

In terms of aiming I have been trying to aim both my character and the camera sort of just to make sure. The camera control that you suggested is working and is helping me to activate a bit more quickly.

Blaze,
I can totally relate to your ACR post where you said that you felt like teleport was your only trick after following someone to the artifact.

I'd like to hear how you progressed past being a "one trick pony" so to speak. I've been improving with using the rear view mirror camera angle and things like back ejecting. I think those skills are something I never really needed playing mostly DM in ACR. In hindsight, I wish I played more assassinate from the beginning and would probably have a greater variety of fast paced skills.
---