Assassinate Discussion thead.

#1DemonReacherPosted 2/1/2013 4:44:49 PM
Ok so I realise many people on this bard are uncomfortable with Assassinate, it is a radically different game mode in terms of playstyle, pace of game, and your ability to profile other players. I dont expect this to be as popular as the DM topic (The ACR board had a whopping 1 post count) but I think a lot of people can benefit from this topic, should they put the effort in.

This topic will be for those who are experienced with Assassinate and want to get better, and for those who are completely hopeless at the mode but are curious about it and want to get a proper foothold into the game, as learning by playing against those high prestige players is pretty tough and puts a lot of people off. If you straight up hate the mode and the concept fair enough, you can create a seperate topic discussing that if you desire.

Now where to begin. Firstly I have been playing since brotherhood but I never got the DLC for Assassinate until much later on, and I was hopeless at it. Then ACR came out and I played it right from the start so I could practice on noobs, now I have a pretty good idea what its about. I am a level 2 prestige and I have taken a huge break from this game, so although im not really an expert on the mode im still learning pretty quick so this topic should evolve more over time (should anything ever happen.

Now I honestly cbf posting any tactics or help right at this moment until I know people are interested, so just give some feedback right away and il get started.
---
MGS3 Ghost Run: Foxhound Rank: Official Ghost Runner of MGS
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4D335DDB9C9BAEDD&feature=plcp
#2CharpandaV1Posted 2/2/2013 1:49:40 PM
Smoke/Poison/Knives

Kill Buffer
Overall Cooldowns

Streak +550
Boost Cooldowns

Your thoughts on this?
---
"...Pretty much boosting your boosting"-- DeliciousJello
Official Daniel Cross of the ACIII boards
#3DemonReacher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:52:43 PM
I have a very similar setup, its exactly the same except I have the gun instead of knives. I actually roll with two profiles for Assassinate depending on what kind of players im against. Your setup (but replace knives with gun) is when I am up against noobs and one or two other good players.

Basically I use the gun on the good players if I feel I cant kill them with my basic strategy. The good players that are rushing around and annoying me, I just use the gun to make them fear me and also to simply have them out of the way so I can focus on killing noobs.

I only use smoke bomb to defend myself in the event I become a target and I feel I cannot run away from my pursuer, or if I kill someone and I know someone else is waiting to get the drop on me, so I basically use it defensively there as well.

My overall strategy is to always be the pursuer, and to do this is to learn the map very well and be stealthy. Now by being stealthy I dont just mean camp in a blend group, but always stay an area or two back from where the compass is, hide behind walls so they cant see you with the camera, and try and find the player using your compass and most importantly, your camera. As you come to learn the players in the lobby you can spot them easily. Once you pick out the player, try and figure out a way to target him without him targeting you first,a nd the best way to do that is to climb an obstacle and target, then aerial kill. You may have to run back a few blocks to be able to do this, hence learn the maps and their geometry.

You are now fighting with your Right stick, your camera. You should always stay back a safe distance until you are sure you know who is who, where they are, and what they are doing. Then you plan your move. Gather information first, then plan your attack, dont ever rush in blind.

I can tell im going to go on some huge rambles so I will just stop there, if anyone is interested I can go into more depth on specific gameplay elements that I feel are important, so you should learn something useful each time you check on this topic.
---
#4SK00DXPosted 2/2/2013 3:11:29 PM(edited)
I've never tried or played this mode in III, but in my experience in Revelations this mode is my most hated in MP.
Most of times when I expose someone kills a player or civilian I lock on that killer as soon as I get the chance, after I lock on him/her I walk slowly to them to kill, but guess what; the damned player just run straight at me and gets the kill. YES THE KILL NOT THE STUN!!! -_-

Oh thanks TC brah, your second post already helped me with some issues.
---
~<Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You.>~
PSN:Skylark97
#5DemonReacher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 3:16:48 PM
Actually while this idea is fresh in my head, I will now expand on this playstyle just a little bit more. When I say I always want to be the pursuer, I dont mean target your prey as soon as you can. The way to go about killing your target is to remain out of sight so that they dont even know which persona you are yet, and target them only when you are sure you can get the kill, so preferably once you get onto a rooftop. You shouldnt ever have to use abiltiies for kills once you get good at this.

Now when this all goes wrong, I make a mistake and they somehow sneak up and target me and become my pursuer, I just run away. Think of the map in terms of knives and the gun, so stay out of their line of sight using the enironment and just get the hell out of there, I try and target and expose them to pretty much immobolise them, this way if they chase after me I trigger a chase, and then I use a few chase breakers to get the escape.

Should they not trigger a chase but remain your pursuer, your next move is to keep track of their location and head over to your next target, and hide in a moving blend group close to your next target. Your pursuer will not be able to see the other players as he has targeted you, and in the confusion he will most likely get picked off by other players, leaving those players open to your kill.

Now as for poison, I rarely go for stuns unless I absolutely have to as I like to save my smoke for when I get a kill. Basically I use poison once I stun someone, or if there are more than 2 players in a given area. When there are more than two players in an area, I stay on the outskirts of the area and move in with a moving blend group, and generally stay quite, obersving the crowds and trying to pick out the players. If it is a busy area with loads of NPCs you can get away with targeting someone and observing how they behave, they cant lock on to every NPC if its so crowded and they usually panic.

Two things can happen, they panic and run just watch them and wait for another player to kill them, triggering a masacre where you slip in at the very end and kill the last guy (hopefully with an aerial as he may smoke you on his kill). The other thing that could happen is that he doesnt run but walks around in a kind of confused state, this is where I slip in poison, which is so useful as you dont give your position away. To do this use blend groups to slowly get in close, this is a bit of an art really and it takes practice but its damn satisfying doing it in assassinate.
---
#6DemonReacher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 3:21:06 PM
SK00DX posted...
I've never tried or played this mode in III, but in my experience in Revelations this mode is my most hated in MP.
Most of times when I expose someone kills a player or civilian I lock on that killer as soon as I get the chance, after I lock on him/her I walk slowly to them to kill, but guess what; the damned player just run straight at me and gets the kill. YES THE KILL NOT THE STUN!!! -_-

Oh thanks TC brah, your second post already helped me with some issues.

The gameplay mechanics can be incredibly frustrating, and the slightest bit of lag can screw you over big time, its something you just get used to, the lock on system isnt that flash and I myself usually rely on them running. If they dont run, well at least they are moving slowly so you can get yourself into a better position to lock on to them.

That brings me to another point, never un when in their line of sight, an easy lock on prompt will appear on your head and then its game over, your position and character has been revealed. Also when you do decide to move in their line of sight, try wait until NPCs are moving in, doesnt necessarily have to be a group but enough wonderers so that you can slip into a stationary group and plan your next move.
---
#7PootbirdPosted 2/2/2013 3:29:28 PM
Smoke/poison/knives is arguably the best set for assassinate and I'm not gonna argue about that, but it is also overrated so I go with...

Shield/wipe/knives

I throw a knife at a pursuer and try to knife-stun him, if I think he will pop smoke I switch on shield as well.
That's a guaranteed stun as there is absolutely nothing stopping you from getting that stun (except another guy killing you first)
While the guy is down I do all I can to maximise the kill points, blend groups, Air kills, focus and my main kill goal: grab kill as it generates the most points out of any normal kill
I use wipe against a target I plan to kill and not stun bait to disable their abilities and go for the kill.
Decoy can sometimes replace wipe if you want to try and ensure you dont get a contested kill on your target or pull a stun off a defenceless pursuer, it's kind of like a more trickier smoke bomb with shorter cooldown.

I don't expect to come first with the set (smoke/poison/knives is almost superior in every way) but I like it as it has a smaller cooldown that the above set to fully cooldown all abilities, and I feel like I really earned the place in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, because really smoke is all you need to do good in assassinate, many will argue but face it: it's true.

Disguise can also be pretty useful if your in a crowd as most players in assassinate identify players by the least common NPC in a crowd by looking at the score board, by using disguise you cripple that advantage and you may be able to pull of a poison if they are completely clueless.
I don't recommend it when not in a group as people will just wait for you by a corner to see If the indicator flashes.

Also you can just run about the map like a fool and start chases with pursuers, I don't recommend it but 8/10 of the time they will either not bother with you and unlock you (you get the escape points and they become your target) or they will loose you (you get the escape score) however that 2/10 chance will either be they chase your propley like it was wanted of deathmatch or they will just gun you/offensive smoke you/ knife then kill you.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a change in their playstyle, it's a real effective set when you master it.
---
PSN: Goldengeartwo
Official smoke hater of the ACIII boards
#8DemonReacher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 3:40:29 PM
The second profile I was talking about was what you suggested, only instead of wipe I have tripbomb as I like to use the map to my advantage, so using tripbomb crafts the map the way I want it making the geometry eaier to figure out. Wipe is a good idea though, in ACR I would use mute in DM to secure kills as they cant even get contested, I might try that idea out. You are correct about pursuers not chasing you most of the time, which is what I count on so I can move on to another player and start my stealth approach again.

Now an example of what I was talking about with tripbomb, say I am in a corner of the map and there are only two entry points to where I am. I am about to go hunt a target and I notice the compass is getting bigger and bigger (as I use this setup in fast paced matches) I will block one entry point off with the tripbomb and get into a position where I can cover the other. by entry point I dont mean doorway or some fancy entrance, its basically a bottleneck in the decision tree on how they get to me, you will figure that out when you try it yourself in the game.
---
#9PootbirdPosted 2/2/2013 4:04:48 PM
DemonReacher posted...
The second profile I was talking about was what you suggested, only instead of wipe I have tripbomb as I like to use the map to my advantage, so using tripbomb crafts the map the way I want it making the geometry eaier to figure out. Wipe is a good idea though, in ACR I would use mute in DM to secure kills as they cant even get contested, I might try that idea out. You are correct about pursuers not chasing you most of the time, which is what I count on so I can move on to another player and start my stealth approach again.

Now an example of what I was talking about with tripbomb, say I am in a corner of the map and there are only two entry points to where I am. I am about to go hunt a target and I notice the compass is getting bigger and bigger (as I use this setup in fast paced matches) I will block one entry point off with the tripbomb and get into a position where I can cover the other. by entry point I dont mean doorway or some fancy entrance, its basically a bottleneck in the decision tree on how they get to me, you will figure that out when you try it yourself in the game.

I use tripwire alot for deathmatch, it's a very discreet smoke bomb with short cooldown which makes it a excellent choice.
I find it is not as much use in assassinate because the high prestiged "pros" who want to smoke bait you to get 100 gazillion points don't attempt to get near you as they are too scared to waste their life force keeping them in the game (smoke bomb).
So I try to "persuade" them to bug off, by which I mean pretending that you are gonna throw smoke bomb at them, to do this I just hold down the throw button on my wipe, because I'm two prestiged they should think it will be a smoke and run off, don't expect them to stay away long though, you just want to keep them at bay until someone comes along to kill him or even better, the smoke users stuns the other allowing you to kill the stunner and then focus kill the stunned.
Of course if you have a pistol or poison dart then that will save you the trouble.
---
PSN: Goldengeartwo
Official smoke hater of the ACIII boards
#10DemonReacher(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 4:17:34 PM
Which is exactly why I pack pistol if there are baiters. If there are no baiters I swap to animus shield - tripbomb - knives combo
---