Too much errand-boy, not even revolution!

#1SlipSkullPosted 2/7/2013 7:59:58 PM(edited)
So I was watching this trailer for the game again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W6JsIyiQHE

And I remember when I first heard about this game I envisioned these fullscale battles, this intense mayhem of bayonet charges and cannon fire.
Instead I found myself spending most of the game delivering hair accessories and beaver pelts to lazy shop owners, helping half of the people living on my land get their tools from New York or Boston and giving Washington war advice.

There was what, one mission where you actually stand against a full battalion of redcoats? And even then your mission is to avoid them and ambush their leader from the woods.
And yes, trailers and expectations are always glorified, and sure there were a few missions where you command some troops and hold some areas. You get to ambush convoys, join in historic battles and events;
But still, I feel like it goes for most of us who played this game, we all wanted to do something like that video and run into a field of 100+ enemies and end up knee-deep in carnage.

tl;dr
Moar battles...?
---
Panda Pounce!
PSN: Rhaazerus
#2bobbyrkPosted 2/7/2013 9:09:02 PM
They never said we would be actively involved in massive fights, only that the engine could handle it. They always said the Revolution is the backdrop of the story, not the focus of it.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#3bobbyrkPosted 2/7/2013 9:09:02 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4DemonReacherPosted 2/7/2013 11:55:24 PM
Yeah its pretty crappy isnt it?
---
MGS3 Ghost Run: Foxhound Rank: Official Ghost Runner of MGS
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4D335DDB9C9BAEDD&feature=plcp
#5Sol4688Posted 2/8/2013 5:45:32 AM
People REALLY need to not have such blindingly high expectations for things.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
#6najzerePosted 2/8/2013 8:02:35 AM
I don't think expectations were unreasonably high to think this game would better than the previous ones. Or that you would be doing the stuff they show in trailers.
---
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=najzere&platform=ps3
#7ajmrowland1Posted 2/8/2013 4:44:34 PM
najzere posted...
I don't think expectations were unreasonably high to think this game would better than the previous ones. Or that you would be doing the stuff they show in trailers.

it's not a matter of high expectations, true.

But-and a day gamefaqs will tell you this a thousand times over-people have their own versions of high expectations and standards.

you cant take two steps without somebody complaining, whether it's well-founded or simply another opinion.
#8SlipSkull(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:12:04 PM
bobbyrk posted...
They never said we would be actively involved in massive fights, only that the engine could handle it. They always said the Revolution is the backdrop of the story, not the focus of it.

That's true and I didn't really expect 1000+ enemies on screen at a time. It just seemed like you would be more actively involved in the war aspect of the whole Revolution.

Granted you play an assassin, it just seemed like you take the role of a delivery man and not so much the "spark that ignites a revolution." You really just get caught up in it because of your village.

But yes regardless, it's hard to really expect much from video games.
---
Panda Pounce!
PSN: Rhaazerus
#9VenomSnakePosted 2/9/2013 4:50:41 PM
Granted you play an assassin, it just seemed like you take the role of a delivery man and not so much the "spark that ignites a revolution." You really just get caught up in it because of your village.

I think that's most people biggest complaint about the story. Conner really has no say in any of the events going on around him, and ends up just being a pawn playing a relatively pointless role out on the periphery.
---
Eric (formerly er51 & er51 is back)
GameFAQs. It's like an RPG with levels and trolls and everything. - Aquatakat on DOS/Windows General
#10blackerfire_Posted 2/9/2013 5:22:40 PM
I think when they wrote this, the writers were too caught up in "we gotta cover this event and this event, now how do we fit Connor into this?" as opposed to just writing. I think part of that was them trying to stay as true to events as possible because more people know about this period of time. They wrote more from history's perspective then Connor's.

In terms of the battles not being so epic, if they had made it that way, then people would have gone on about how the protagonist is over powered and god like. Sort of like how they started to complain about Ezio... >_>