Game's great so far (spoilers)

#1AtnevonPosted 2/10/2013 3:51:12 PM
Just posting my experience. I'd heard a lot of bad things going in, so my expectations were managed pretty well. I'd say the story is second to ACII, and the overall experience is third behind ACII and Brotherhood.

I've just met Samuel Adams, so I'm not too far along. The only bizarre story moment so far was when Achilles didn't blink at all when Connor implicitly called Haytham is father. WTF? Charles Lee's scene also didn't make any sense given what we'd seen so far. We should've gotten a racism shot as Haytham or had the voice-actor tone it down 4-5 notches.

It seems like I may have missed 2 Almanac pieces as Haytham (i.e., I had 2/4 as Hatham, then I collected another as Connor, and it was listed as 1/4). I've heard nothing's missable, though, so idk.
#2FetulovesACPosted 2/11/2013 10:52:58 AM
Atnevon posted...
It seems like I may have missed 2 Almanac pieces as Haytham (i.e., I had 2/4 as Hatham, then I collected another as Connor, and it was listed as 1/4). I've heard nothing's missable, though, so idk.

Haytham only has a crack at 2 of 4 pages. There's many almanacs in both Boston and NY and Connor has to "finish" the almanack Haytham started.
#3rebelguy0Posted 2/11/2013 11:41:05 AM
I figured it was just Lee having been corrupted during his years of gaining power as a Templar. Perhaps he just wasn't the kind of character/person to give such power and responsibility to. Or, he simply had no reason to act like a douche around fellow Templars when we played as Haytham, especially with Grand Master Haytham around.
#4007sarodimPosted 2/12/2013 2:20:56 PM
Atnevon posted...
when Connor implicitly called Haytham is father. WTF? Charles Lee's scene also didn't make any sense given what we'd seen so far. We should've gotten a racism shot as Haytham or had the voice-actor tone it down 4-5 notches.

The game says that Connor's mother was treated poorly by the rest of the tribe after she had a fling with a known Templar. I assumed he knew.
---
"I prestiged 9 times alre4ady....my life is directly linked to my kdr...if it goes below 1 I explode and die" - Ol_Uncle_Gagnon
RSS - z007sarodim
#5Atnevon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 11:12:04 AM
I'd missed that. All I remembered was them saying that Connor was treated like "one of their own" or whatever. Still, even with that, since Achilles's relationship with the tribe is unclear, I don't think I would have made the connection.

Heck, I didn't even know for sure that CONNOR knew who his father was at the time. And I STILL don't really know what Ziio told Connor about Haytham. I guess they'll bring that up later during the mission when Haytham is (finally) reintroduced and killed or whatever.

@ Rebelguy -- Yeah, you can definitely headcanon the problem away, but some kind of foreshadowing would have been more effective. Casual supremacist talk would've fit right into the setting.

Anyway, starting with Sequence 6, the wheels of the plot start to come off in a big way. Connor attacks forts and puts up the Revolutionary flag before the Boston Tea Party has even happened. The rationale for Connor being involved in these conflicts is poorly-documented. It's also not really clear what the Templar's goals are so far, which makes the unclear motivations for Connor's actions even more unfathomable.

The reused "you let WJ get away; now you will live to regret it!" was laughable.

They also made Connor ugly for some reason. He was cute in Sequence 5. Bummer.

Oh well. Here's hoping things improve.
#6Atnevon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 11:26:44 AM
I really loved the Hunting/freeroam aspects of the game, though. I'm kind of surprised, too, because I would have expected those aspects to be boring.
#7SlipSkullPosted 2/13/2013 9:38:18 PM
Trust me, there's A LOT of those kind of awkward, "You should be reacting with more...emotion" kind of moments.

They do a poor job of making the "reveals" very dramatic in this game. The huge speech by Ezio at the end of Revelation was very theatrical compared to all the shoulder shrugging in this game.
---
Panda Pounce!
PSN: Rhaazerus
#8Atnevon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:11:03 AM
To be honest, ACII was kinda like this too. The early story up until the Pazzi conspiracy or so is very strong, but then the plot kinda gets looser for the last few assassinations (though more optional stuff also opens up). It didn't bother me as much, though, because at least I could headcanon a "He Who Fights Monsters" kind of theme into it.
#9bobbyrkPosted 2/14/2013 11:16:12 AM
Concerning Lee, it's kinda surprising you guys missed it. About the one one that we see that he isn't a dick to is Haytham.
---
Behold the angry wizard putt-putt-putting away.
#10Atnevon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:02:43 PM
I think Sequence 8 was better again for me, and I enjoyed having access to New York and all the Homestead stuff again in Sequence 9.

They also made Connor cute again! I guess it's because they cut his hair short? But his face looks less fat, somehow.