Is the game racist?

#1crucadesPosted 3/20/2013 3:21:49 PM
Hello board, I am interested in picking up this title as it looks a lot of fun, but my friend told me it is highly racist. I don't want to support anything that is racist so can you tell me if there is any truth in his claims? Thanks.
---
I pissed on a tramp once and she exploded -_-
#2JManGTPosted 3/20/2013 3:23:05 PM
It's not racist at all actually.
---
PSN: JManGT
GT: James Upton
#3CharpandaV1Posted 3/20/2013 3:40:27 PM
I'm interested; did your friend say how it was racist?
---
"...Pretty much boosting your boosting"-- DeliciousJello
Official Daniel Cross of the ACIII boards
#4crucades(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 3:44:52 PM
My friend told me it supports old stereotypical views about a particular race that I certainly don't agree with, and that it will ruin my gaming experience if I decide to go ahead with the game.

I made a post here to set out a few feelings about this since the board is full of guys who have beat the game and I would be able to trust their opinion on the matter. I watched a few videos on youtube but it doesn't really cover what my friend said, most presentation vids ive seen.
---
#5VitaminsXYZPosted 3/20/2013 4:01:52 PM
crucades posted...
My friend told me it supports old stereotypical views about a particular race that I certainly don't agree with, and that it will ruin my gaming experience if I decide to go ahead with the game.

I made a post here to set out a few feelings about this since the board is full of guys who have beat the game and I would be able to trust their opinion on the matter. I watched a few videos on youtube but it doesn't really cover what my friend said, most presentation vids ive seen.

Was your friend talking about Native Americans? If so then I'd say the game does the complete opposite, and instead deconstructs the stereotypes that have built up around them. Ubisoft even had an actual Mohawk consultant with them while they were developing the game.
#6Captain_Sexy_TPosted 3/20/2013 4:23:48 PM
Your friend needs to get the sand out his dick holster.
---
PSN: Rectal_Fungi
Origin: Cpt_Mustache
#7crucades(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 4:30:41 PM
My friend told me white men cant jump, I simply cannot play this game if its true.
---
#8VitaminsXYZPosted 3/20/2013 4:37:29 PM
crucades posted...
My friend told me white men cant jump, I simply cannot play this game if its true.

I'm afraid this game is not for you then...
#9neo979Posted 3/20/2013 4:43:03 PM
In a way, this game is "not racist enough" - now that sounds horrible, but bear with me for a minute here.

The game seems to depict American colonists and Native Americans being pretty much united against the British, and although there may be a little unrest depicted between the colonists and the Native Americans, the colonists are depicted as mostly enlightened and accepting of the Native Americans with a friendly and understanding relationship.

It would've been great if it really happened that way, but it didn't. Colonists did not treat Native Americans anywhere near as well as the game indicates. I know that no one would like it if they depicted realistic racism, but for them to pat themselves on the back by taking credit for a utopian version of colonial days that never really happened is actually kind of offensive too.
#10crucades(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 4:46:38 PM
Neo I don't believe the US gamer base would like to be reminded that they are the worst offenders of genocide in human history when they destroyed 9m approx. natives to take their land. Accurate history aside that is not the racism am talking about. I do not like when certain races are portrayed superior to others in normal human capability when we are all the same.
---