The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

How is Asia overdone?

#1mattsaysPosted 3/9/2012 5:42:05 PM
People say that there have been TONS of games that use Asia as the locale and that it is SO OVERDONE! Really?

What are these games, and is their gameplay so similar to Assassin's Creed that it would not warrant another game?

I play a lot of video games and I think the only games that I have played that take place in Asia are Okami on the ps2 and the demo for Tenchu Z, both of which were not very similar to Assassin's Creed.

So please, enlighten me.
---
I had a 500 topic about politics on the Battlefield 3 board.
#2BoxTheMuppetPosted 3/9/2012 6:15:06 PM
i want a new tenchu
#3Dr_MojoPosted 3/9/2012 6:17:54 PM
There will probably be an AC game set in Japan at some point. This series is a major cash cow for Ubisoft and they're not going to be done with it anytime soon. There's tons of interesting historical periods they have yet to explore that would work perfectly with AC.

I predict future games set in Royalist France, Inquisition-era Spain, Feudal Japan, Imperial Britain, and Colonial Indochina.
#4igashijinPosted 3/9/2012 8:11:33 PM
When people speak to Asia being overdone, they (myself included) speak to the fact that the setting has been exploited to a degree that the mystery, intrigue, and wonder of AC's tendency to recreate history would be entirely null.

I've already fought alongside Oda, Toyotomi, and Tokugawa. I've already explored the inside (and rooftops) of massive hillside castles; I've already assassinated big shot daimyou. No, I've never played Assassin's Creed, Ninja edition, but I've played enough games set in Sengoku Japan and read enough medieval Japanese literature to where the setting as a whole has very little allure to me.

Japan has been a playground in video games since the days of the NES; colonial America has never really been a playground, nor has the Italian Renaissance, nor has the crusade-torn country side of Masyaf. The thing that makes Assassin's Creed so unique and fun is that the series has, thus far, reached into history books and made the material interesting and applicable.

Feudal Japan has been explored by the medium in general to the extent that most gamers already find the setting plenty interesting. If you want to explore the Sengoku Jidai, pop Way of the Samurai 3, or Tenchu into your machine and have fun. But wishing for Assassin' Creed to explore Japan hurts me inside.

And this comment should have a special degree of relevance coming from me: I've lived in Japan, I've always thought Japan was pretty neat, and I'm a fully fluent speaker of Japanese.
---
To dis examartein ouk andros sopho.
#5matrix0523Posted 3/9/2012 8:21:36 PM

I've already fought alongside Oda, Toyotomi, and Tokugawa.

Samurai Warriors? (:
---
http://i.imgur.com/JAShw.jpg
#6igashijinPosted 3/9/2012 9:28:19 PM
matrix0523 posted...

I've already fought alongside Oda, Toyotomi, and Tokugawa.
Samurai Warriors? (:

Haha. Touche.
---
To dis examartein ouk andros sopho.
#7betterboulderPosted 3/10/2012 1:49:56 AM
I think "obvious" is a better word for it. The assassins are easy to liken to ninjas. To actually make a ninja assassin would be too on the nose. Open world japan would be cool but I'd rather they go totally unexpected/non-obvious like they just did.
---
"Have confidence in the God that has confidence in you." PSN: PositiveCalvin/ 3DS Friend Code: 0259-0454-7272