Connor really THAT bad of a protagonist?

#1Sniper4hire8209Posted 11/4/2012 9:00:10 AM
Topic.
---
Xbox GT - Kidd Casual
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." Andrew Ryan
#2Perfect LightPosted 11/4/2012 9:01:24 AM
No, he is not bad. He isn't a carbon copy of Ezio, though, and people don't like change. Real people are not all identical, and Connor has his own personality.
---
youtube.com/sciencebytes...learn something new
My novel - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095KJ6YC
#3Sniper4hire8209(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2012 9:04:11 AM
I expected him to be alot different. He's a Native American who's hellbent on revenge. I didn't expect him to NOT be a jerk to just about everybody.
---
Xbox GT - Kidd Casual
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." Andrew Ryan
#4casedawgzPosted 11/4/2012 9:04:47 AM
He's fine. People complain that he's naive, but he's supposed to be. Native American culture is being depicted as more honest and straightforward, and the duplicity of both the colonists and the british is supposed to seem alien to him.
#5zeroboboPosted 11/4/2012 9:07:28 AM
he's a great protagonist imo. better than ezio actually.
people just hate him cus he's not familiar. and not a generic super charming guy.
#6Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 11/4/2012 9:13:28 AM
He's a great character. People don't like him because they don't like change, our are unfamiliar with traditional native american customs.
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am.
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - Any platform, any genre! Love games? So do we.
#7Baron_LambertoPosted 11/4/2012 9:20:34 AM
I think it's because we never get a sense that he knows what's actually going on. His problems seem compartmentalized in that he only really seems to know what's up when he's dealing with his tribe.

He seems to be treated like an errand boy by the characters in the game and by the game's developers. The problems he deals with could be handled by anyone, so what bothers me about his characterization is that he's anyone instead of CONNOR. The plot isn't "What does Connor do that ONLY Connor can do and how does it shape the revolution?" It's "Wouldn't it be cool if these historical revolutionaries were doing what they did and Connor was just around for that stuff?"

He's also totally naive, and I understand that he's supposed to be learning, but if he's still saying things like "I had nothing to do with that!" during the counterfeiters mission after over half of the game has gone by, that's just poor game design...

And if we're honest with ourselves, the writing really isn't too great overall outside of the assassination dialogues.
---
Baron Lamberto has the greatest umbrella collection in the world.
Gamertag: Baron Lamberto
#8L0ZPosted 11/4/2012 9:32:03 AM
hes like young altair.

Naive and questioning authority of those above him.
---
[I7 3770 | G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 256GB Corsair M4 SSD | GA-Z77X-UD3H | 2GB Evga GTX 670 FTW]
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
#9TheProdigal713Posted 11/4/2012 9:40:56 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself Baron Lamberto, completely agree.
#10ch3ck_n0rrisPosted 11/4/2012 9:41:11 AM
L0Z posted...
hes like young altair.

Naive and questioning authority of those above him.

pretty much that.. We literally watched Ezio grow up from a horny teenager to a master assassin. (who was still a sly ol' devil in his later years, see Sofia) Naturally, people miss playing with him, thus unfairly judging Connor for being virtually nothing like him, but Connor's dope.

What he may lack in overall personality, he makes up for in fighting ability, which based on some of his moves, he may be a better one than Ezio.
---
http://checkafred.bandcamp.com/
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! @ch3ck_n0rris