Why all the hate for Connor? He's the best assassin thus far.

#61sojuPosted 11/11/2012 7:23:41 AM
Zerobobo has a point ... But I think that's the reason a lot of people play video games. They want to be something they never can be.

I prefer Haytham myself. He's cool, patient and collected. Connor is anything but.
#62MisguidedPiratePosted 11/11/2012 7:30:57 AM
Jolteon posted...
I've been trying to avoid these boards for the most part (because people are terrible at marking spoilers), so I guess I didn't really realize that there was a lot of hate for Connor, but if there is, I'm reasonably certain it's because of moments like the above. It's just completely jarring to see him go from this cool, calm, professional assassin, to petulant emo-rage.

I didn't have any problem with the congress moment, personally. If you were absolutely certain that someone burnt down your childhood home, killing your mother, I doubt any amount of training would stop you from wanting to kill them right there and then. So all considered, Connor could've reacted to the situation a lot worse.

Ultimately, there seem to be two sides to this argument;

1) People who don't like Connor because he doesn't handle situations how they want him to

2) People who see these decisions as evidence of humanity, and find that it makes him easier to relate to

I mean even looking back to your first example in the post, I doubt you can honestly say that you've never gotten into a heated argument with a close friend or family member, for no good reason other than you were a bit on edge and they said one little thing that sent you over.
---
XBL : Crossbit
#63MorterPosted 11/11/2012 9:26:13 AM
soju posted...
Zerobobo has a point ... But I think that's the reason a lot of people play video games. They want to be something they never can be.

I prefer Haytham myself. He's cool, patient and collected. Connor is anything but.

Haytham was certainly likeable in the first few sequences...But in the final part he really showed his stubborn older age. He was bossy, pushy, snarky, and seemingly not as able as he used to be. He gave a good first impression, but he went out like a jerk, imo.
---
Merciful Buddha
Posts: 2x: 77; 3x: 9; 4x: 7; 5x: 5; *6x: 2; 7x/8x!: 1;**25X POST!**
#64assassinreaperPosted 11/11/2012 9:36:12 AM
DChybridking posted...
I much perfer Ezio. I mean we have been with the man his whole life. However I do understand why some people dislike him. Ezio is flawed because he is not flawed *inception music plays*

Generally speaking Ezio handles everything with confidence, he's charismatic, brave, noble etc. You really don't see any kind of character flaws with em. Connor on the other hand naive(which is a valid trait), thick headed, inconsistent. I appreciate him having those flaws but I still much prefer Ezio as I find Connor boring.

To me it goes:

Ezio>Altair>Connor

Well played my thoughts exactly
---
Please excuse my grammar I'm an American teenager.
#65BigBadDogIVPosted 11/11/2012 9:52:17 AM
Gnarly_B posted...
Haytham > Ezio >>>>>>>>> Connor > Altaiir

Ezio was far more interesting imo, the only reason I like Connor is because he has all the extra gadgets. He's an annoying character imo, all the other assassins were focused solely on the order, Connor keeps whining about his village all the damn time.

Haytham is by far my favourite character to play as. More interesting and better accent.

perhaps you forgot, but conner was never in this for the assassins...it was always about saving his village for him... he became a assassin to save his village.
---
Think of a number between 1-10, times the number by 2, times the new number by 5, divide that number by the original number, subtract 4 from that number.It's 6.
#66Gnosis_Guyver1Posted 11/11/2012 10:25:11 AM(edited)
Connor became an assassin for the wrong reasons plus was fighting a tide he couldn't beat.

But its understandable he was raised in an honest culture where everything was straight forward no deceit he was not ready for British culture duplicity.

i can only imagine if he was thrust into the series game of thrones wheres lies and deceit are the order of the day

Morter posted...
soju posted...

Haytham was certainly likeable in the first few sequences...But in the final part he really showed his stubborn older age. He was bossy, pushy, snarky, and seemingly not as able as he used to be. He gave a good first impression, but he went out like a jerk, imo.

reason for that Haytham's carefully prepared took decades planning was being undone by a threat he thought gone and that threat was his own son. anyone would be irritated due to this lets not even mention two good templars and friends were lost william johnson and John pitcarm
---
Nothing is true everything is permitted.
#67Gmoney-Posted 11/11/2012 12:03:17 PM
I love them all even if Ezio is a bit much and a superman.

I don't get all the Altair hate. Damn he was badass in AC1. Sure his VA was wrong but it was damn badass. I get shivers when he talks to king Richard.
---
"Nothing is true.Everything is permitted."
#68OhhSnapPosted 11/11/2012 12:23:13 PM
Connor is the best in terms of fighting,
Ezio is the best in terms of personality
---
You started getting shot at when you made yourself a target
#69riouken1234Posted 11/11/2012 1:00:19 PM
I guess I am the complete opposite. For me it goes: Altair > Connor > Ezio. And here's why:

Ezio, while likeable from a fictional standpoint, was never believable. In fact, he's borderline psychotic, inconsistent, and irritating to me.

*spoilers for AC2*

He'll pretend to treat life with respect, whilst throwing in flippant gags such as: "ooo, a nice change of pace from the usual sneaking and stabbing. I like it!" - He's talking about people's lives. This inconsistency is hihglighted further when he allows Rodrigo to live. Sure, it won't bring your family back buddy, but you've undermined the slaughtering of all the other guards and lackeys you killed. Sometimes it's not about you and your family, sometimes it's about what's good for everyone, and Rodrigo was a dnager.

This is why Connor excels in that particular area... kind of. His dealings with Haytham are annoying, but in particular *AC3 SPOILERS*

He allows Charles Lee one last drink, one final sign of respect saying, "I know you're not as evil as I once thought, but you are a danger to everyone." So he kills him.

Now, Connor is flawed for sure, but I'd say Ezio is a worse offender. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously, but when killing people, making comedic one liners only paints you as insane. Same with Nathan Drake, "*blows a guy's brains out* KITTY GOT WET YO!" - He's a mad man.

As for Altair, he is clearly the wisest and most honourable of the lot. He truly cares about peace and the pursuit of it through freedom, not control. But he even he sees the flaws in the creed. This is shown most notably in the codex pages. Altair's commentary on religion and the role it plays in society is particuarly insightful, and it gives you a deeper understanding of what the assassin's really fight for.

You would never find Altair make light of killing another man, albeit an enemy.

Not only that, but Altair's conversations with the Templars is much more stimulating than the speeches found in AC2 or AC3. AC3 goes a long way to correcting this, but AC1 excels when it comes to emphasizing that duality between Assassin and Templar.