So are Brits all butthurt over this game?

#141bloodgod92Posted 11/5/2012 6:58:29 PM
Arctic_Sunrise posted...
bloodgod92 posted...
As somebody else said before, we do not celebrate George III, yet Americans celebrate the founding fathers and revere them as saints, when clearly, they were not.

Wouldn't you favour rebellion? Wouldn't you celebrate every damn year it if it succeeded? Because I sure as hell would.

Only if we, ourselves were not inflicting such suffering on people who were part of this land before we came along. I have not said the Revolution was wrong, or that I hate America, just that Americans are wrong for treating their founding fathers as heroes, when really, they weren't.

It was hypocritical for them to want to rebel against a government they did not want, when they themselves were imposing on the natives.

I would not celebrate it every year, I would not even celebrate it once, I would show my respect to those who died fighting, but not to the hypocrites who lead them. But, this is already what I do every year come November, I buy my poppy pin, and wear it as a sign of respect, but I do not celebrate the wars they commemorate.
---
GT: Aldora92 V My most successful thread V
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/950899-final-fantasy-xiii/53936178
#142ironbruPosted 11/5/2012 6:59:41 PM
ironbru posted...

So basically they emigrated to America and tried to kick out the people who actually lived there in the first place? I thought (again correct me if I'm wrong) that is what thanksgiving was about?

Another ignorant European criticizing what they don't understand. Thanksgiving is about when we had a peaceful session with the Indians and feasted with them. It's a celebration of peace and thanksgiving(wow maybe that's why it's called Thanksgiving and not Bloodbath, durdurrr). They also believed in God back then and they were celebrating in "thanks".

Interesting how the Europeans all know about our holidays and watch our elections... It's like we are important or something!

I was asking a question not criticizing, learn to read. I even said I didn't mean to offend any Americans which you conveniently missed out of my quote. Don't get mad at me just because you country has just as bad of a history as every other country on the planet.
---
Current Playing: Xenosaga Series (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#143hyp3rknightPosted 11/5/2012 7:10:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik
#144bloodgod92Posted 11/5/2012 7:20:31 PM
hyp3rknight posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=3_gst-Ryh3g&feature=fvwp
---
#145LaManoNeraIIPosted 11/5/2012 7:28:47 PM
bloodgod92 posted...
Arctic_Sunrise posted...
bloodgod92 posted...
As somebody else said before, we do not celebrate George III, yet Americans celebrate the founding fathers and revere them as saints, when clearly, they were not.

Wouldn't you favour rebellion? Wouldn't you celebrate every damn year it if it succeeded? Because I sure as hell would.

Only if we, ourselves were not inflicting such suffering on people who were part of this land before we came along. I have not said the Revolution was wrong, or that I hate America, just that Americans are wrong for treating their founding fathers as heroes, when really, they weren't.

It was hypocritical for them to want to rebel against a government they did not want, when they themselves were imposing on the natives.

I would not celebrate it every year, I would not even celebrate it once, I would show my respect to those who died fighting, but not to the hypocrites who lead them. But, this is already what I do every year come November, I buy my poppy pin, and wear it as a sign of respect, but I do not celebrate the wars they commemorate.

They fought for something, against overwhelming superiority, for a concept of liberty that hadn't existed on our planet in 2,000 years. That is pretty heroic.

And the issues of Native Americans aren't so black and white. George Washington fought against Indians and fought a long side Indians. There is no one Indian people, there are many. Some were peace loving people who lived peacefully a longside English and American people. Some were war mongering savages who were just as brutal with other Indians as English/Americans/French were. Ultimately, what happened to Native Americans is tragic and something no American celebrates. But it wasn't specifically and solely America's doing.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#146bloodgod92Posted 11/5/2012 7:38:22 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...

And the issues of Native Americans aren't so black and white. George Washington fought against Indians and fought a long side Indians. There is no one Indian people, there are many. Some were peace loving people who lived peacefully a longside English and American people. Some were war mongering savages who were just as brutal with other Indians as English/Americans/French were. Ultimately, what happened to Native Americans is tragic and something no American celebrates. But it wasn't specifically and solely America's doing.

I do not disagree with you, but as I said, they were hypocrites, they fought against a government they wished no part of, yet at the same time, imposed themselves upon the natives, and as I also said, yes, SOME natives were with Washington, but most were not... as the Crown did not want colonies to spread further west, so less oppression for them.

I am not saying America is a bad place, I am not saying I do not like America, I am saying Americans look at the revolution blindly, not seeing the hypocrisy in it, and ignoring what went on behind the fighting.

I like America, and have always planned on moving there permanently, but that does not mean I have to agree with everything, or anything they have done in the past, nor does it mena I should celebrate their holidays, as I disagree with them.
---
#147EVE6 FANPosted 11/5/2012 7:40:35 PM
LOL

This is still going? You guys are too easy, this is what trolls live for.
---
PsN: Ultraviolence (L in violence is a cap i)
#148MadellePosted 11/5/2012 8:05:03 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
They fought for something, against overwhelming superiority, for a concept of liberty that hadn't existed on our planet in 2,000 years. That is pretty heroic..

Come again? Where did you learn your history? Because if you paid for the lessons, you should demand your money back. "A concept of liberty that hadn't existed on our planet in 2,000 years"? Yes. No one had ever dreamed of a free republic between the days of Rome and the US constitution!

How about the Corsican republic established in 1755? They even gave women the vote! That seems like a fairly solid concept of liberty to me. Yet, apparently dreams of such liberty only emerged from the likes of Jefferson and Madison? Not Pasquale Paoli? Or the Republic of Venice, which implemented safeguards to ward against one man controlling the city's affairs? And it's certainly not like the founding fathers were spurred on by say... the Scottish enlightenment? Or some fellow by the name of Thomas Hobbes? They just came up with the idea all on their own!
#149bloodgod92Posted 11/5/2012 8:08:43 PM
Madelle posted...
LaManoNeraII posted...
They fought for something, against overwhelming superiority, for a concept of liberty that hadn't existed on our planet in 2,000 years. That is pretty heroic..

Come again? Where did you learn your history? Because if you paid for the lessons, you should demand your money back. "A concept of liberty that hadn't existed on our planet in 2,000 years"? Yes. No one had ever dreamed of a free republic between the days of Rome and the US constitution!

How about the Corsican republic established in 1755? They even gave women the vote! That seems like a fairly solid concept of liberty to me. Yet, apparently dreams of such liberty only emerged from the likes of Jefferson and Madison? Not Pasquale Paoli? Or the Republic of Venice, which implemented safeguards to ward against one man controlling the city's affairs? And it's certainly not like the founding fathers were spurred on by say... the Scottish enlightenment? Or some fellow by the name of Thomas Hobbes? They just came up with the idea all on their own!

Just to add to that, Magna Carta also springs to mind, that was a king being FORCED into giving commoners and nobles more rights...
---
#150prdude123Posted 11/5/2012 8:21:06 PM
bloodgod92 posted...
Madelle posted...
LaManoNeraII posted...

Just to add to that, Magna Carta also springs to mind, that was a king being FORCED into giving commoners and nobles more rights...

Dont forget about the Netherlands, they were a Republic since around mid 17 century.

About US vs UK war, UK would have easily won, THEY JUST DIDNT GAVE A S*** ABOUT IT. If they had really cared about it, they could have easily sent many more troops and destroyed the rebels in a few months.

And anyone that knows about political system and ideologies knows that USA isnt a democracy but a republic. I will dare to say that there has never been a real democracy since the days of Athens.

And forget about arguing with Americans, it is like trying to explain a blind person how are the colors or trying to bring the devil to a church and convert him.
---
GT: prdude123