So are Brits all butthurt over this game?

#191turbobuddahPosted 11/7/2012 2:39:19 AM
It's history, sh*t happened, besides how can we be butthurt when we get to kill fellow brits like an absolute badass
#192DiagnosisNinjaPosted 11/7/2012 3:06:18 AM(edited)
bloodgod92 posted...

Lunacy182 posted...

Are the Brits butt hurt? Did they just find out they lost the revolutionary war or something?

I don't think many of us even knew about the war, they do not teach us anything about it, nor even mention it in history classes at school.

We learn about things that actually affected us, or kings who liked to put it about a bit, like Richard I, Harold Harefoot, Battle of Hastings, the Tudors and WW1+2...

For us, the revolution was insignificant, and not relevant to our country, so we never learned about it.

Really?
I was under the impression Brits where taught more history including American History than Americans. Until I got to college I never learned about anything in school that was pre-American revolution. It was almost like The world just spawned in the 1770s-1780s.

Oh we did learn about the first Europeans to set foot in the Americas but that up until the French and Indian war were all on the same first page of the History books and everything after has its own chapter.

School for me looked something like:

Yr1: Romans
Yr2: Vikings
Yr3: Greek
Yr4: Egypt
Yr5: Victorian Era
Yr6: Early Britain

Secondary School:
Yr7: 19th Century / Industrial Revolution
Yr8: European History. Crusades, Christianity, and Stuff like that.
Yr9 - Yr11: War. WW1 / WW2 / Vietnam

Nothing about America. Nothing about Asia.
---
X360 GT: Diagnosis Ninja. Play BF3; Castlevania HD, Mass Effect 3.
UK players unite!
#193Pure_LionHeartPosted 11/7/2012 3:24:40 AM
This topic has been greatly amusing, interesting, and eye-opening. Mostly amusing.

Thank you.
---
Pure LionHeart - Parted The Red Sea
http://myanimelist.net/profile/PureLionHeart
#194SurmatisePosted 11/7/2012 3:31:44 AM
DiagnosisNinja posted...
bloodgod92 posted...

Lunacy182 posted...

Are the Brits butt hurt? Did they just find out they lost the revolutionary war or something?

I don't think many of us even knew about the war, they do not teach us anything about it, nor even mention it in history classes at school.

We learn about things that actually affected us, or kings who liked to put it about a bit, like Richard I, Harold Harefoot, Battle of Hastings, the Tudors and WW1+2...

For us, the revolution was insignificant, and not relevant to our country, so we never learned about it.

Really?
I was under the impression Brits where taught more history including American History than Americans. Until I got to college I never learned about anything in school that was pre-American revolution. It was almost like The world just spawned in the 1770s-1780s.

Oh we did learn about the first Europeans to set foot in the Americas but that up until the French and Indian war were all on the same first page of the History books and everything after has its own chapter.

School for me looked something like:

Secondary School:

Nothing about America. Nothing about Asia.

My history was something like this

Europeans land in the Americas
French and Indian war
Boston tea party
American Revolution
Civil war
American Indian war and Custer
WW1
roaring 20s
Great depression
WW2
Korean war
Vietnam

Yeah our history education heavily favors wars lol. In college I took world history classes but even then not many because they aren't considered important for a computer animation major.
---
Xbox live gamertag: Surmatise
#195Ultimate7625342Posted 11/7/2012 3:38:12 AM
We would have won the revolution but since America got loads of help from other countries, we didn't stand a chance!
#196bloodgod92Posted 11/7/2012 4:48:22 AM
Ultimate7625342 posted...
We would have won the revolution but since America got loads of help from other countries, we didn't stand a chance!

Not true, we gave up, because we would have lost more then we gained.

America was too far away, and you could only get there by sea, it was not worth the effort because we would have gained would not be worth everything we would lose gaining it.

Secondary School:

I agree, as a young child we learned about the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians, but around year 4-5 for me we learned about the Tudors, mainly Henry VIII and his wives and children.

In high school, we learned about 1066, he battle of hastings and the world wars... a little of Richard I (Lion heart) Then William Wallace (who my mothers family shares a name with, which made it more interesting) after year 9 i never took another history class though.

Only mentions of america was for the world wars though.
---
GT: Aldora92 V My most successful thread V
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/950899-final-fantasy-xiii/53936178
#197BigBee2005Posted 11/7/2012 5:40:00 AM
I think from all the posts we can ascertain no Britain is 'butt hurt' by this game and no we aren't taught about the American Revolution at school either. I know I wasn't and it's nothing to do with the fact we don't like to mention it because we lost. We lost to the Romans, Normans and a few others since.

The American Revolution is, for obvious reasons a lot more important to Americans than it is us Brits.

I haven't played this game yet as I'm waiting for the price to drop and the glitches ironed out but is the story etc meant to be THAT faithful to what is considered fact anyway? I would have thought there would be a bit of a distortion of the facts being as this is a game not a history lesson.

Amusing topic anyway, thanks TC.
---
XBL Headwind PSN Headwindz
#198Marius_DPosted 11/7/2012 5:43:05 AM
Ultimate7625342 posted...

Well that always lead to the old joke of "The War of Independance" being called the "War against everybody" over here in the UK. It was as close to a world war that you could get at the time. Infact it was bad enough that some people here in the UK were more concerned with a possible invasion from Spain/France than what was going on in the colonies.

From what i remember though of that war, and why most British today aren't all that bothered by the loss, is the fact most of the population supported the rebels. We had/have no love for any government that over taxes the people so anyone that decides to beat the hell out of them is good. I mean that was part of the reason we had a civil war and got rid of a king. The only point we had a problem, and it caused a bit of problem for the troops fighting over there to from what i recall, is when you went to France for help.

Still the war did benefit both you guys in the States and us here in the UK. Shame what it did for those that helped yout hough, esp good old Louis XVI of France lol.
#199SurmatisePosted 11/7/2012 5:55:50 AM
BigBee2005 posted...
I haven't played this game yet as I'm waiting for the price to drop and the glitches ironed out but is the story etc meant to be THAT faithful to what is considered fact anyway? I would have thought there would be a bit of a distortion of the facts being as this is a game not a history lesson.

I won't give any spoilers but yes like all AC games this one is a distorted version of historic events and definitely not something one would want to rely on to study for a history exam.
---
Xbox live gamertag: Surmatise
#200iHoldWithFirePosted 11/7/2012 6:10:12 AM
Marius_D posted...
Shame what it did for those that helped yout hough, esp good old Louis XVI of France lol.

Ahh, viva la revolucion, oh mon dieu.... NOOOOOOONNN!!!!!!!